Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

I am speaking from what I know: it's obvious that I did not do a case study on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Which ones, specifically? Give examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The BLS it seems is a little behind the times.
They don't have many professional jobs in the "declining" bracket.
Jobs like accounting, software development, etc. have been leaving the shores for years.
Projections from 2008 to 2018. Not what is the current declining job. Otherwise education, would not be the second fastest growing job.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Most of the workforce is already highly educated.

... you can't be serious.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
LVN is a two year degree and makes roughly 40-44k a year (on average). An associates degree is good for some vocations. To completely write off community colleges is somewhat ludicrous.

One poster stated to avoid community colleges altogether. Well, no. I was thinking about doing my MHA. However, I needed to take econ and financial accounting as a prerequisite into the program. On my meager salary of working with autistic children, all I could afford was community college. It was the same as the UC school I went to (lower level classes, higher level classes are another story). The major difference was the caliber of students. There was a wider range.

My dad teaches at a community college...many of his students are entering into top 20 schools.
LPN (called LVN in CA and TX) is a one year program. LP/LVNs take a different test than RN candidates. LPNs work under the supervision of a doctor or an RN, and generally have less responsibility than an RN.

LPN Colorado Schools: Approved CO LPN Programs & Colorado LPN Training (http://www.suite101.com/content/lpn-colorado-schools-a221228 - broken link)

Very few hospitals employ many LPNs any more; most jobs are in nursing homes.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM

So is that why the majority of the people I encounter are blithering fools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
... you can't be serious.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
So is that why the majority of the people I encounter are blithering fools?

You don't have to have gone to school to be intelligent. However, there is a difference between being "intelligent" and "highly educated". The majority of people in this country are not "highly educated".

Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 PM

Nor are they intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You don't have to have gone to school to be intelligent. However, there is a difference between being "intelligent" and "highly educated". The majority of people in this country are not "highly educated".

Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LPN (called LVN in CA and TX) is a one year program. LP/LVNs take a different test than RN candidates. LPNs work under the supervision of a doctor or an RN, and generally have less responsibility than an RN.

LPN Colorado Schools: Approved CO LPN Programs & Colorado LPN Training (http://www.suite101.com/content/lpn-colorado-schools-a221228 - broken link)

Very few hospitals employ many LPNs any more; most jobs are in nursing homes.
It depends on where you go...At my dad's community college it's a two year degree...one year internship.

Regardless, what point does this have with the need, or lack of, for community colleges?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
It depends on where you go...At my dad's community college it's a two year degree...one year internship.

Regardless, what point does this have with the need, or lack of, for community colleges?
I think you're talking about the AAS degree. That makes one eligible to sit for the RN exam.

It doesn't have anything to do with the need for community colleges. It's just that nursing is so confusing, with multiple entry level points, and I wanted to clarify.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Nor are they intelligent.

... then why did you say that most of our workforce is "highly educated"? That's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies