Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
2 years is but a fraction of your life.
What is the context here, do you want a guarantee?
A stable, free market will dictate employment and valuable skill sets, it shouldn't come from politicians or unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
And who conducted the research for the report? Who sponsored the research? It must have been Michelle's public relations office. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Last week there was report out the Community colleges may be the best place for the unemployed to get skills to re-enter the workforce fast.

Ms. Obama is simpling parroting this report.
Really, what experience does Michelle have on this topic?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
And who conducted the research for the report? Who sponsored the research? It must have been Michelle's public relations office. lol
My point is that Michelle's opinion is really irrelevant to people who need jobs. She has no experience in this matter, and nothing more to add than any middle age housewife would.

She said the same thing on the Today Show with Matt Lauer and Regis.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Something tells me that she was educated in a community college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
My point is that Michelle's opinion is really irrelevant to people who need jobs. She has no experience in this matter, and nothing more to add than any middle age housewife would.

She said the same thing on the Today Show with Matt Lauer and Regis.

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
She said to go back to community college and not expect to work at corporations for longer than 2 years at a time. Wow. This is horrendous information coming from her. IMHO.

We are expected to job hop our entire lives and attend community college to "retrain" every few years.

She's actually correct, if your able bodies with all of your brain functions, why not go back to community college? Most community colleges cost are less than $3K per semester. If your eligible for financial aid this is not a problem. As far the other part of not expecting to work for a corporation more than 2 years, with the events of the last 3 years I would say that is true, but no one knows what the future holds.

My 60 year old father who just recently obtained his GED has just enrolled in some classes at the community college in Passaic County NJ. He was Layed off almost two years ago from a company that he worked for over 30 years. You gotta do what you gotta do to survive. No one said a job will be promised to you.

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
haha. love it.

When a liberal tells people to work hard an improves themselves it's "DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO MARXIST!!!!11!!".

keep on keeping us on our toes, righties...

Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'm not sure what the problem is.
Should we be guaranteed a job for life?

Frank for the first time you and I are on the same page. What is the problem with the statement? Why complain about minimum wage or making ends meet if your not trying for something better?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
yes..Mrs Mao has declared that a 2 year degree is wonderful..maybe she will decree that you can get your BS in 2 years instead of 4. Kind of like her husband..we got the BS in 2 years too...

So by your reasoning if you can't afford to obtain a degree from a 4 year college, there's no point? I'm trying to get someone to intelligently tell me what REALLY is the problem with the statement of telling adults to attend a community college? Is it that it came from Michelle Obama?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Most of the workforce is already highly educated.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Most of the workforce is already highly educated.
I would have to disagree. It would depend on your defintion of highly educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies