Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Its not an ally if you must pay billions to maintain that alliance. It is not an ally, if the governance doesn't bode well with your own philosophies. It has been merely... a convenience. A convenience with inconvenient consequences to the welfare of America.
Money talks...bs walks...always been that way...always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
true kinda like we know russian subs are operating in the artic and cross into american and canadian waters in typhoon class ballistic misslie subs and we can't really do anything about it
And yet, Obama took the secret knowledge of the entire British nuclear weaponry to the Russians hoping to trade it. I wonder just what he got for giving the information to them. Maybe he wanted to be nearer them when they admit to the fact that Communists are still in control there.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It means we realize that less that 200 years ago, General Jackson killed several thousand of the British at New Orleans.

But I won't insist on having a big huff about the British. If they'd opposed the Iraq war, I have no doubt that the Beck faction would hate them as they now hate the French.
I sure was unhappy with the French from the beginning of that last one. I liked the talk about Freedom Fries because the French wanted so badly to stay away from their good ally, the US.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Israel was created in 1948 by the UN at the behest of the US, UK and the USSR. I was only 16 at the time but well remember all that. Now the UK had been our ally in two wars and between them long before Israel was created so don't make them the longest allies next to France.
Israel was not 'created' by anyone. They declared independence in 1948 and the UN recognized them in 1949 after they grabbed what they wanted.

I didn't say they were our oldest allies, I said we were theirs. Do you quarrel with that?

Quote:
I think that besides freeing France twice we haven't really been a** hole buddies with them most of the time since the Revolution.
France was only in a pickle because of her own stupidity, both times.

Quote:
The British did try to keep the colonies they had created and paid so much for during the colonial period but their navy was only our enemy during our revolution from their control. Did Churchill hold a really important office in 1927? Were his words considered serious by anybody at that time?
I don't recall what office he held in 1927, but since he was First Lord of the Admiralty in WW1 I doubt it was an obscure one.

Quote:
I know about them but then whose fault was it that the Versailles Treaty was so sad and aimed at punishing Germany by making them pay for the War. I always thought it was Woodrow 'Wilson who was the person who allowed that to happen. If not him one of his people was responsible for us not being there to stop that from happening.
Wilson, who is not one of my favorite people by any stretch, was not particularly pro-Versailles, but accepted it as a means to getting the League of Nations. The joke was on him, but also on Germany--they got the crummy treaty but we didn't get the League.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I sure was unhappy with the French from the beginning of that last one. I liked the talk about Freedom Fries because the French wanted so badly to stay away from their good ally, the US.
idk about you, but I'd stay away from my mother if it looked like she was intent on driving her car off a cliff.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Israel was not 'created' by anyone. They declared independence in 1948 and the UN recognized them in 1949 after they grabbed what they wanted.

I didn't say they were our oldest allies, I said we were theirs. Do you quarrel with that?

France was only in a pickle because of her own stupidity, both times.

I don't recall what office he held in 1927, but since he was First Lord of the Admiralty in WW1 I doubt it was an obscure one.

Wilson, who is not one of my favorite people by any stretch, was not particularly pro-Versailles, but accepted it as a means to getting the League of Nations. The joke was on him, but also on Germany--they got the crummy treaty but we didn't get the League.
As British troops left Israel with UN permission and at the behest of the US and the USSR Jews followed on the troops' heels. They immediately set up a government and declared independence and while fighting various Arab groups set up a government. The British got out as fast as they could because they knew the shooting would come as soon as they got their "peace keepers" out.

I always wondered why the Arab countries tended to fight the Israelis one at a time instead of hitting them from all sides at once. That was in the 50s and 60s and I just couldn't understand how they managed to fight different nations at once. Finally, I had a professor who had been in the Middle East during that whole period who told me the story as she knew it. it was the fact that all of them were separate and didn't want any others to take over just to beat the Israelis. That is so obviously the reason they never got together.

My favorite war of the period? The 6 Day War, of course. The Egyptians had very superior air and ground weapons because the Israelis were fighting largely with old American WW II tanks and the Egyptians had the best tanks the Russians had available. The thing the Egyptians didn't have was Israeli soldiers, much superior to Egyptians. Also the Israelis fought like a wild animal who has been backed into a corner.

We were their only real allies the whole time aside from Britain weakly, off and on.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
As British troops left Israel with UN permission
UN permission? You've got to be kidding. The League which had allowed British rule in Palestine didn't even exist anymore after 1941, ffs!

Quote:
and at the behest of the US and the USSR Jews followed on the troops' heels. They immediately set up a government and declared independence and while fighting various Arab groups set up a government. The British got out as fast as they could because they knew the shooting would come as soon as they got their "peace keepers" out.
No, the shooting had been going on for quite a while before the Israelis declared independence. Ever hear of Deir Yassin?

Quote:
I always wondered why the Arab countries tended to fight the Israelis one at a time instead of hitting them from all sides at once. That was in the 50s and 60s and I just couldn't understand how they managed to fight different nations at once. Finally, I had a professor who had been in the Middle East during that whole period who told me the story as she knew it. it was the fact that all of them were separate and didn't want any others to take over just to beat the Israelis. That is so obviously the reason they never got together.
There were intra-Arab rivalries, no question, but until the 70s with King Hussein in Jordan none of them ever preferred an Arab loss to an Israeli loss.

Quote:
My favorite war of the period? The 6 Day War, of course. The Egyptians had very superior air and ground weapons because the Israelis were fighting largely with old American WW II tanks and the Egyptians had the best tanks the Russians had available. The thing the Egyptians didn't have was Israeli soldiers, much superior to Egyptians. Also the Israelis fought like a wild animal who has been backed into a corner.
I'd strongly consider suicide as an alternative to talking about any war as my "favorite." (!)

It's a little like bragging about your favorite arson, or your favorite torture device.

Quote:
We were their only real allies the whole time aside from Britain weakly, off and on.
Which says zero for us, and lots about how they have us by the sack.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Undermining Allies - Thomas Sowell - Townhall Conservative

The lecturing of the Egyptians by Obama is pointing out some of the real problems of being an ally of the US. Even the Soviets never managed to lecture, right out in the open, their smaller forced friends before the fall of the USSR. Obama may well be blowing it the way he is dealing with the Egyptian protests and wants to get rid of Mubarak.

Barry is a TEMPORARY OCCUPANT of the office. He should not be allowed to destroy hundreds of years of diplomacy around the world.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Barry is a TEMPORARY OCCUPANT of the office. He should not be allowed to destroy hundreds of years of diplomacy around the world.
LOL. The likes of you aren't going to allow or disallow much, or else you'd find better things to do than bang on at C-D.

Our diplomacy relative to Egypt dates from the mid-1970s. Before that, we viewed Egypt almost as we view Iran today (nuclear program included.)

One can only imagine an American president demanding more repression, and not only on our own behalf, but on behalf of Israel! God save us.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
UN permission? You've got to be kidding. The League which had allowed British rule in Palestine didn't even exist anymore after 1941, ffs!

When was the UN created? I guess it was 1949, huh?

No, the shooting had been going on for quite a while before the Israelis declared independence. Ever hear of Deir Yassin?

I thought I said that the shooting started immediately after the last British troops cleared the border.

There were intra-Arab rivalries, no question, but until the 70s with King Hussein in Jordan none of them ever preferred an Arab loss to an Israeli loss.

I'd strongly consider suicide as an alternative to talking about any war as my "favorite." (!)

But I like to study wars and how they took place along with why. I guess you think that my study of the battles of the Americn Civil War is morbid or something.

It's a little like bragging about your favorite arson, or your favorite torture device.

Which says zero for us, and lots about how they have us by the sack.
I have always said that we were responsible with the creation of Israel as a homeland for displaced Jews from Europe so that is a good reason we should be responsible, at least somewhat for them. That by the sack doesn't tell me much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies