Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

What people don't understand is that we WANT him to veto it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

Rasmussen Reports*2/4 - 2/5 37/ 58 Against/Oppose +21

Even a Democratic Poll says you're wrong!

Democracy Corps (D)1/9 - 1/12 33/49 Against/Oppose +16
You're doing the fox news twist. Let's take at look at the most respected and fair poll taker out there, gallup.

Healthcare System

Per the most recent poll:

13% Keep it as it is

29% Keep it, but make minor changes.

24% Keep it, but make major changes.

32% Repeal it.

Thats 66% of americans want to keep it, or keep it with changes vs. only 32% that want to repeal it.
Again like I mentioned before most all of america want health care reform, just not the way it is now mainly from all the pork to big insurance and would rather have the public option.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Absolutely agree

And what we had before Obama wasn't all that great either.
Yeah well that New HOPEY AND CHANGEY THING that was promised us, is not great at all in any way, actually it does SUCK!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And for those reasons, it should not have been
passed in the first place. The mandate went way too far across
the line.
The mandate is necessary to keep the health insurers from going belly up by taking on high risk customers--right now they exclude them--you broaden the risk pool by adding insurance for the mainly healthy.

Guess who came up with the mandate? The Heritage Foundation--probably the most conservative think tank in the country, and the mandate was the centerpiece of the R's health care agenda in 1995. The health care reform plan we have now is EXACTLY what the R's fought for in 1995, including the mandate. Guess what the R's are proposing now as an alternative to the Obama program--EXACTLY the same thing as the HCR bill, but without the mandate. The Republican plan IS THE HCR BILL WE JUST PASSED, except that they don't have a way to pay for the increased cost to insurance companies, against their own advice.

That's why this entire debate is just DUMB. I remember the debate well in 1995, and as republicans, we were told that the HCR act, including the mandate, would be a free market option vs. the socialized plan offered by the Clintons. That's why I don't vote for or trust the R party--the one I grew up in--lately. They created this hysteria because they didn't want the Dems to get the credit. That's it--nothing more.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yeah well that New HOPEY AND CHANGEY THING that was promised us, is not great at all in any way, actually it does SUCK!
Blame the republicans--the HCR bill is exactly what they've been proposing for years, but now they want to disown it because the Dem's got it done. The dems passed the R plan so the R's couldn't complain about it vs. a single payer type program (which is what most Dem's wanted), but look how that worked out for them.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
They would need strong D support which isn't going to happen, and even if the D's want to have a laugh then can send it to Obama for him to veto it. Why the right think they are in control is beyond me. The D's have the senate, and the presidency, they are the ones calling the shots.
When it's convenient for you to admit it, yes. I like how you lefties love to blame the right for "blocking" legislation when it's convenient and supports your positions. Kind of like how the right is blamed for having the public option removed from Obamacare.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What people don't understand is that we WANT him to veto it....
And I'm sure President Obama will do so gladly. He appears to be the only grown up to take responsibilities, and be open to accept weaknesses in American society.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
When it's convenient for you to admit it, yes. I like how you lefties love to blame the right for "blocking" legislation when it's convenient and supports your positions. Kind of like how the right is blamed for having the public option removed from Obamacare.
This makes no sense. Under the last congress, the right had filibuster power in the senate to use and abuse which they did non-stop. Now, the right don't have the DINO vote to help them push their bills through and if they do, the D's could filibuster or veto. It some ways, the democrats have more power now as they've backed the republicans into the corner, forcing them to work with the D's if they want to get anything done which they are finding out and Boehner seems to be feeling as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
"My fellow Americans,

Today the house has sent me a budget bill that defunds the healthcare overhall that we worked so hard to pass. I can't in good conscience sign a bill that would allow healthcare companies to drop citizens with prexisting conditions that have paid for their care for years. I can not sign a bill that would throw countless college aged children off of their parents healthcare plan. I can not in good conscience sign a bill that will raise the governments cost for healthcare in the years to come.

Therefore, I am vetoing this bill. I will be happy to work with Congressional Democrats and Republicans to reform the healthcare law, as there are aspects of it that were allowed to pass in order to get the most good through, as is often the case with government bills. Just like previous Republican Presidents have signed bills that were altered later to work better, we can do the same thing with the healthcare reform law without out right repeal that would do the things that I mentioned before".

Most Americans would agree with this. Most Americans don't favor repeal. They favor fixing it, with major or minor changes, but only about 20% of the populace supports the "status quo" because most Americans realize that the healthcare system was broken.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You're doing the fox news twist. Let's take at look at the most respected and fair poll taker out there, gallup.

Healthcare System

Per the most recent poll:

13% Keep it as it is

29% Keep it, but make minor changes.

24% Keep it, but make major changes.

32% Repeal it.

Thats 66% of americans want to keep it, or keep it with changes vs. only 32% that want to repeal it.
Again like I mentioned before most all of america want health care reform, just not the way it is now mainly from all the pork to big insurance and would rather have the public option.
same poll...81% of americans want it repealed or changed

................56% want it repeals or MAJOR changes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies