Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So you support their Constitution being thrown by the wayside in the transfer of power and the people not having a say in that? How is that "democratic"?
How is it not democratic when the President steps down and puts the Vice President in power?

Time will tell, we'll know in a few hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM

39,844 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I can't call it a power grab when the President himself steps down and puts the Vice President Suleiman in power in his place.

That is democracy in action.
1) What percentage of the population participated in the riots in the country?

2) Does democracy mean mob rule? Or an electorial process, where everyone (that meets specific criteria) has the chance to participate?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Stop deflecting from the subject at hand. We are talking about Egypt and what is happening now.
Sorry, I like to look left and right before crossing any street. If you don't like history, you are certainly averse to learning from it. Hence, for you, even just couple of months from now, the point you make today shouldn't be worthless even to you, because it will be the past?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Obviously every part of the constitution they have as it stands TODAY will be overhauled when the new government is composed.

I don't see the problem in having Mubarak step down and put Suleiman in office. Because the constitution they have now is going to be invalid.

They want a new government there.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

2) Does democracy mean mob rule? Or an electorial process, where everyone (that meets specific criteria) has the chance to participate?
1) Democracy doesn't guarantee or require 100% participation.
2) No, democracy doesn't mean mob rule ("rulers" are elected in a democracy). It does mean that people have a chance to vote a guy out... if the constitution actually allows for someone to run against him.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

They will have an election in the fall where they can elect a new President.

Suleiman will be the interim leader pending an election.

I don't disagree with what they are doing now in Egypt.

They didn't HAVE a democratic process to begin with. Now maybe they will have a chance at having one.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So when a Saudi King who also happens to roll around in love of Sharia law, oppresses women, allows for public stonings, the nation that produced 17 of the people who flew planes into our World Trade Centers, we are supposed to applaud them because?

This is what American's should get behind as a quality example of how lousy our President is? Is this where you people really want to go?
Apparently they hate the President more than they hate all of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If the Saudi King added that Obama needs to learn how to wipe his backside with a stick instead of toilet paper, will you folks start heading to the woods to find some nice bark?

Oy... Never thought I'd see the day Fox News wanted to cuddle in the blanket with one of the harshest Muslim nations on earth, but I guess one fundamentalist is as good as the next.
Just towing the shareholder's line:

"He's also Fox News' fourth biggest investor--although Prince Alwaleed bin Talal claims that he's the second biggest investor in News Corp., after Rupert Murdoch himself."

Crib Sheet: Prince Alwaleed--Saudi Oil Tycoon, Fox News Investor | Fast Company

Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 PM

39,844 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
They will have an election in the fall where they can elect a new President.

Suleiman will be the interim leader pending an election.

I don't disagree with what they are doing now in Egypt.

They didn't HAVE a democratic process to begin with. Now maybe they will have a chance at having one.
Thanks for clairifying your position, and I agree with you on this. They do have a chance, if they have valid, free elections. Past elections where only one person is on the ballot is not democracy.

My point was that capitulating power to a mob, consisting of only a small percentage of the population isn't a democracy either.

Hopefully, this will lead to actual, democratic elections this fall. I must admit, I'm skeptical.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1) Democracy doesn't guarantee or require 100% participation.
2) No, democracy doesn't mean mob rule ("rulers" are elected in a democracy). It does mean that people have a chance to vote a guy out... if the constitution actually allows for someone to run against him.

Exactly!

Additionally, is there a democracy on the planet that allows a guy to be in office for 30 years?

Egypt never had a true democracy.

And now it's being overturned.

I think it's incredible that social media "Facebook" jump-started this revolution.

It's truly amazing. And powerful.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 02-10-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Additionally, is there a democracy on the planet that allows a guy to be in office for 30 years?

Egypt never had a true democracy.

And now it's being overturned.

I think it's incredible that social media "Facebook" jump-started this revolution.

It's truly amazing. And powerful.
The question is what will now really happen. In a democratic country such a mob situation would not lead to the complete change of the system of the government. But since Egypt didn't have a real democracy before we hope this will lead to a true democratic process there in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies