Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Have to wonder how much the US invasion of Iraq (and the subsequent institution of democracy there) may indeed have "primed the pump" for democracy spreading throughout the region. Pretty sure it played a part (only question is "how much?").
I don't think any country wants to model anything around Iraq. In fact, I won't be surprised to see Iraq implode with now a greater divide and a move towards theocracy. Iraq may be the next Pakistan.

Iranians tolerated a puppet-dictator for 26 years. Fundamentalists took advantage of it. Egyptians have tolerated a puppet dictator for 30 years. We can only hope fundamentalists don't take over. It will depend on the interests of those in power in the interim, especially the military. So far, it looks better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Apparently he's en route to Dubai with bags of cash he's stolen (60bil?) UAE (another one of our 'friends') welcomes him with open arms. I though he "was going to die on the Egyptian soil"?
I have a feeling he will be heading to Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Well, the GOOD THING is that he is gone......so who cares where he went.
I agree. I just think he got off too lightly. At the very least all his assets abroad should be seized and returned to the Egyptian treasury. If he commited any crimes against his people in the past he should be held responsible by the people of Egypt. Retirement in obsene luxury in Dubai on the backs of his people is not a sufficient closure, but oh well... It is still unclear if his right hand henchman Suleiman is gonna replace him back home.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I agree. I just think he got off too lightly. At the very least all his assets abroad should be seized and returned to the Egyptian treasury. If he commited any crimes against his people in the past he should be held responsible by the people of Egypt.
And that has yet to happen to any dictator that has fled and took the country's coffers.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Well, the GOOD THING is that he is gone......so who cares where he went.
Let me see if I got this right. They exchange one dictator for another dictator, and you think this is a "good thing?"

Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's unlikely to happen in Egypt.

And if it doesn't...watch out Iran!

Could be a good thing in the long term.
Like I said - a muslim extremist government is EXTREMELY unlikely. The whole world is moving toward democracy & market-driven economies and the middle east is no exception. Religious fundimentalist regimes are NOT the wave of the future - not even in the middle east. This is a FUNDIMENTAL worldwide revolution (economic & political) that is sweeping through the entire 3rd world (egypt is just the latest example).

Ken

Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Let me see if I got this right. They exchange one dictator for another dictator, and you think this is a "good thing?"
Well they threw out "our" dictator.
Do we have another one prepped and in the wings ready to take over ?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Now let the people be wary of their popular revolution being co-opted by extremist radicals.
Egypt is a foreign country, belonging to its people. They get to choose, regardless of the consequences to us. We simply ought to be prepared for the worst and refrain from poking our nose into their affairs.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't think any country wants to model anything around Iraq. In fact, I won't be surprised to see Iraq implode with now a greater divide and a move towards theocracy. Iraq may be the next Pakistan.
Nope, won't happen. Iraq will see increasing stability.

Ken

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,525 times
Quote:
I agree. I just think he got off too lightly. At the very least all his assets abroad should be seized and returned to the Egyptian treasury. If he commited any crimes against his people in the past he should be held responsible by the people of Egypt.
A peaceful (for the most part) revolultion which removes the dictator in 18 days is very impressive. The people don't care now. They are just enormously happy that they won, that he stepped down, that he is gone. Their goal seems to be free and fair elections. They're not looking back at Mubarak.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Now let the people be wary of their popular revolution being co-opted by extremist radicals.
So Egypt can finally get some rest.

The Muslim Brotherhood do NOT want the military in charge.

Maybe that's the best thing temporarily until the VP Suleiman can take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies