Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Now let the people be wary of their popular revolution being co-opted by extremist radicals.
Like those are the only forces willing to co-opt a revolution.

American paternalism never ceases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Egypt is a foreign country, belonging to its people. They get to choose, regardless of the consequences to us. We simply ought to be prepared for the worst and refrain from poking our nose into their affairs.
Exactly. People need to stop acting like they know what's best for others.

This is great news in the sense that the longer this lingered, the more unrest we would've witnessed.

I'm glad this is over and I wish egyptians the best.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Let me see if I got this right. They exchange one dictator for another dictator, and you think this is a "good thing?"
And you think that Mubarak stepping down is a "bad thing"?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they threw out "our" dictator.
Do we have another one prepped and in the wings ready to take over ?
"Our?" As in the US made Mubarak VP in 1980 and then had Sadat assassinated in 1981, or by "our" are you saying the US has a diplomatic relationship with the recognized and legitimate leader of a sovereign nation? Your second sentence would seem to imply the former rather than the latter. For the sake of your credibility, not to mention your sanity, I certainly hope it is the latter rather than the former.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
They're having open elections as far as I've heard. I don't understand this talk of another dictator.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Let me see if I got this right. They exchange one dictator for another dictator, and you think this is a "good thing?"
Their problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
"Our?" As in the US made Mubarak VP in 1980 and then had Sadat assassinated in 1981, or by "our" are you saying the US has a diplomatic relationship with the recognized and legitimate leader of a sovereign nation? Your second sentence would seem to imply the former rather than the latter. For the sake of your credibility, not to mention your sanity, I certainly hope it is the latter rather than the former.
And we gave billions in foreign aid...did we follow up to see that it actually went to the people ?
And we champion human rights issues all over the world..did we follow up with what went on in Egypt ?

Yeah..we kep "diplomatic" relations with Egypt and we also paid plenty $$$ to keep our interests safe over there.

I didn't mean my post to say we put Mubarak in office but that we propped up his regime over the years with plenty of money and turned our eye to the corruptness and human rights issues.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Glitch,
Yes, to some on these threads it IS a good thing. That's because the old dictator was a friend of the US and the new one wouldn't be.

Why do they consider that good? Because the more hostile governments that are in the area, according to this view, the more likely the US will be weakened and pushed out of the area.

This outlook is of course based on the opinion that the US has no vital interests there that need to be defended .

Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
They're having open elections as far as I've heard. I don't understand this talk of another dictator.
Typical US extreme political fear mongering.
Like we have to "approve" who is going to take over there ?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Now we wait and see how quickly our administration forms a team to fly over to Egypt to "help" them form a new government under our guidance of course.

How many bags of money will it take to buy our friendship of their next government ?
Yeah I'm pretty one sided on this because that is the way the US operates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies