Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The Clinton Admin repealed it. That's all that matters. It was a horrible idea.
Do you think it should have been repealed? Shouldn't the congress be given due credit as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you think it should have been repealed? Shouldn't the congress be given due credit as well?
No it shouldn't have.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No it shouldn't have.
And congress had no role to play, so not accountable?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why with the D vs R here ? Both parties aided and abetted the banksters.
Enough with the "my party is better than your party". Neither party is good anymore.
The repeal of Glass-Steagall was a great disservice to the American people.
You're right, people from both parties did indeed aid and abet the banksters though virtually all the Republicans voted for it while only some of the Dems did plus the Republicans were the ones who pushed to have sound banking laws repealed. You are also right again that the repeal of Glass-Steagall was a great disservice to the American people but I think it is fair talk about degrees of culpability; I.E. one party is totally in bed with the banksters while the other one is about 1/3rd in bed with them. I hate having to pick the lesser of two evils and wish there was a third choice but there isn't.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:01 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:

The Clinton Admin repealed it. That's all that matters. It was a horrible idea.
The Republican-controlled Congress repealed it and Clinton signed it, so that's not all that matters. Get your head out of your partisan clouds. Clinton gets a big 'ol 'F' on the grading scale from me for singing away that legislation, but to deny the Republicans' role in its repeal, not just during Clinton's time, but over the course of its history, is to be utterly disingenuous.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You're right, people from both parties did indeed aid and abet the banksters though virtually all the Republicans voted for it while only some of the Dems did plus the Republicans were the ones who pushed to have sound banking laws repealed. You are also right again that the repeal of Glass-Steagall was a great disservice to the American people but I think it is fair talk about degrees of culpability; I.E. one party is totally in bed with the banksters while the other one is about 1/3rd in bed with them. I hate having to pick the lesser of two evils and wish there was a third choice but there isn't.
There is always another choice besides D or R but too many people are afraid to that that risk.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
There is always another choice besides D or R but too many people are afraid to that that risk.
When you go against the insane, you better be afraid of the consequences and stay away from experiments.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

. . .

I completely agree with these two sentences.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Enough with the "my party is better than your party". Neither party is good anymore.
Your so right, well the D AND R are both guilty. Do they both aide and abette banksters, and don't tell me that either party does not know what they are doing, we should expect more from both parties, isntead of what we are stuck with.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

There was a time when I was much more willing to take that risk. I voted for John Anderson in 1980 and Ross Perot in '92.

But we're at a precipice in our history, and I think it's critically important to keep Republicans out of control of our country, so, for the time being, I'm a strict Democratic-candidate voter (at least on the national level).

I actually hope things change enough that I can go back to considering some of the better Independent candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies