Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,673,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Good one. Not everyone can act like Madea, Big Momma, or The Klumps.
And hope against hope that the smiley is a signal that you're joking...because otherwise, you've just dropped a big ol' raft of sterotypes here, and to use a popular phrase---'I ain't havin' it'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,807,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Most blacks do not wear skinny jeans or tight clothes.

have you seen some of these trendy rappers. it may not be most but it is many.. maybe where you from blacks where balloon pants

skinny jeans are a trend in the hip hop community unfortunately everything is not baggy as you like to imply

Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
And what's more, as a black man myself, it makes my blood boil to know that you get more credit/notoriety/'props' for being some gun-toting, do-rag wearing, thugged-out nimrod, as opposed to someone who tries to act as though they have some manners, intelligence, and education---and then gets labeled a sell-out...
...so the heck what an individual wheres a do rag!so! you buying and enforcing stereotypes.. so explain a black person wearing A baseball cap, do-rag, kufi etc are unintelligent?

also people blowing this up way more than what it is.....i dont know where you from but thats not the whole population. a few people i know dont wear do-rags and are some of the craZiest people you can come by

manners?

Last edited by city414; 02-11-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,673,568 times
Lightbulb City, I Hear What You're Saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
stop! you feeling yourself waaay to much dude...so the heck what an individual wheres a do rag!so! you buying and enforcing stereotypes.. so explain a black person wearing A baseball cap, do-rag, kufi etc are unintelligent?
Hold up for a minute...and by the way, no, I'm not saying those folks are unintelligent (as somebody who has worn a baseball cap and even on occasion gone do-rag [try dusting a 3rd floor attic or a garge attic without one LOL])

Here's the thing...I'm not downing what folks wear, because I ain't the Style Sheriff Of The Western World...I'm just going on things that I've seen and up-close experienced, due to close contact with my 20-something nieces and nephews and their friends...they love Uncle Catfish, but when I try to drop knowledge about doing something with themselves besides hanging out, and maybe being places and doing things they shouldn't, then I get the rolleyes and the 'I gotta be going Unc...see ya later!'...so when I say things like I did, it comes from seeing that stuff within my own family...

And to tell you the truth, that's the stuff that breaks my heart, because they ALL have so much potential, but they worry too much about being cool and being seen...I want them to lead good lives, not end up as the lead on the 11 o' clock news

Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM

204 posts, read 200,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just curious to know is there a such thing as acting Black or acting white?

What are some examples?
I do understand what you're trying to ask, but perhaps a little rephrasing is needed. The question you may want to ask is, 'what do you call it when individuals who, for unkown reasons, choose to imitate behaviors seen in other cultures.

Experiencing other cultures and imitating other cultures are, without a doubt, two very different things. When eating in an establishment which serves Japanese cuisine, I like to use chop sticks, while I am perfectly content being black, or African American. Though I've been to Japan, unless I've been exposed to the parental, educational, and social influences they share, and had years of experiences within Japanese society, eating sushi, speaking with an accent, or visiting a bath house, doesn't make me Japanese, or even alters my behavior to any significant degree.

In the 50's, 60's, and perhaps earlier, if it was possible for a lighter skinned black person to pass as white, some chose to do so. This was obviously by necessity, being a choice made to protect oneself against the social unrest surrounding the expressed prejudices of the time, but was admittedly a facade.

In our time, I believe 'cultural imitation', mostly exhibited by young people, (teens to early twenties), has been adopted as a way to be accepted into groups which portray an admired lifestyle, and who are, for whatever reason, idolized by those individuals. It is important to remember, however, that things like education, good grammar, maturity, cleanliness, and good work ethics, are not attributable to any particular culture, and therefore, when observed, cannot be considered cultural imitation.

It is also important to recognize that white and black culture cannot be defined by the actions or the lifestyles of a few, nor by it's more visible, outspoken, or ostentatious representation. Therefore, to say that one is acting black or white, would be a stereotypical assumption.

Complex diversity exists within every culture, producing behaviors which vary considerably according to environment, and so, I believe, it would be more accurate to conclude that, color aside, at times, people simply imitate other people.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
And I guess acting white is talking in proper English, having no sense of rhythm, & "dressing preppy".

That is what the OP wanted to say, but was afraid.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,065,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no such thing as "acting white" or "acting black" per se, but i do know that there is a such thing as an Uncle Tom. But that has more to do with actions more than speech or mannerisms.

There we go with the racist comment if a black has a mind of their own.

hussein obama changes his voice to sound more like a black preacher when he is in front of a mostly black audience.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,270,721 times
Perhaps to the highly enlightened members of City Data who are able to look past race/gender/stereotype the answer is no, but in the real world, the answer is most certainly yes, as unfortunate as that may be. In actuality it would probably be better defined as socioeconomic stereotypes, though, there are undeniable traits in speech, dress and actions that can be generally attributed to one race over the other. I'm not saying one is superior to another or that it is always true, but there are traits and actions that can, and often are associated with one race or another. To say otherwise is to be in denial of how people actually are.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM

711 posts, read 1,139,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just curious to know is there a such thing as acting Black or acting white?

What are some examples?
I wasn't aware that a person could "act black" or "act white..." How a person acts usually has to do with socio-economics...not the color of their skin. A person is likely to adapt the behaviors and dialects of their peers.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Hold up for a minute...and by the way, no, I'm not saying those folks are unintelligent (as somebody who has worn a baseball cap and even on occasion gone do-rag [try dusting a 3rd floor attic or a garge attic without one LOL])

Here's the thing...I'm not downing what folks wear, because I ain't the Style Sheriff Of The Western World...I'm just going on things that I've seen and up-close experienced, due to close contact with my 20-something nieces and nephews and their friends...they love Uncle Catfish, but when I try to drop knowledge about doing something with themselves besides hanging out, and maybe being places and doing things they shouldn't, then I get the rolleyes and the 'I gotta be going Unc...see ya later!'...so when I say things like I did, it comes from seeing that stuff within my own family...

And to tell you the truth, that's the stuff that breaks my heart, because they ALL have so much potential, but they worry too much about being cool and being seen...I want them to lead good lives, not end up as the lead on the 11 o' clock news

aw man you quoting the unedited one.. but i feel you 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies