Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times

Advertisements

Well, hang your head in shame if you consider yourself educated and skilled and live in one of these states supposedly "running out of smart people." (I guess residents leaving and new transplants don't count in this article.)

Numbers and statistics don't tell the whole story. We all know smart and talented people with real-world skills (and no crushing student loan debts) who are successful.

So how do you categorize a "smart person" who doesn't have the education on paper but certainly does in life accomplishments? What's a "smart person?"

Here's the Ten States Running Out of Smart People:

The 10 States Running Out Of Smart People: 24/7 Wall Street

(Eye-rolling irony: the author is supposedly from one of the states listed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I don't get why it matters where the author is from. One can be from a state (and be educated and/or smart), and still observe larger trends to the contrary.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Well, hang your head in shame if you consider yourself educated and skilled and live in one of these states supposedly "running out of smart people." (I guess residents leaving and new transplants don't count in this article.)

Numbers and statistics don't tell the whole story. We all know smart and talented people with real-world skills (and no crushing student loan debts) who are successful.

So how do you categorize a "smart person" who doesn't have the education on paper but certainly does in life accomplishments? What's a "smart person?"

Our state is one of those listed. Given the average ACT and SAT score of our high school students, literacy rate, and level of secondary education achieved by the state's citizens, we could give up half of our collective IQ points and still be well above the national average. Further, given that we are one of the best states in the US for buisness, we have not suffered, and will not suffer, the same ecnomic misery as the rest of the US.

Thankfully, people think of our state as an undesirable place to live and it keeps the collective education level, work ethic, and employment level high.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

Just looking at the states, most of them have extremely cold, snowy, or hot weather.

I'm college educated, graduated with a 4.0 GPA with my degree, and I got the hell out of Michigan the first chance that I got. Granted, its beautiful there during the winter, but the three months out of the year where one must lock themselves indoors sucks.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I wonder if they took into account the increase in illegal immigration for both Texas and Arizona. Surely, this uneducated class must be having an overall negative effect on the state.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Our state is one of those listed. Given the average ACT and SAT score of our high school students, literacy rate, and level of secondary education achieved by the state's citizens, we could give up half of our collective IQ points and still be well above the national average. Further, given that we are one of the best states in the US for buisness, we have not suffered, and will not suffer, the same ecnomic misery as the rest of the US.

Thankfully, people think of our state as an undesirable place to live and it keeps the collective education level, work ethic, and employment level high.
You must be in Wyoming. Sheridan is at the top of my list when we start gearing up to move. Visited Cheyenne and southern Wyoming year before last - beautiful state.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just looking at the states, most of them have extremely cold, snowy, or hot weather.

I'm college educated, graduated with a 4.0 GPA with my degree, and I got the hell out of Michigan the first chance that I got. Granted, its beautiful there during the winter, but the three months out of the year where one must lock themselves indoors sucks.
I am in Michigan. There is plenty to do in the winter.

Now the fishing 10 miles out on Saginaw Bay is great!!!

Love those walleyes!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I wonder if they took into account the increase in illegal immigration for both Texas and Arizona. Surely, this uneducated class must be having an overall negative effect on the state.
My first husband came through Texas illegally from Honduras.

He has a masters in physics.

Ya just never know.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Well if you have to ask what the definition is....

Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am in Michigan. There is plenty to do in the winter.

Now the fishing 10 miles out on Saginaw Bay is great!!!

Love those walleyes!!!!
Dude I tried ice fishing, its not for me.

Y'all Michiganders are hardy folks, but most of y'all want to move south too. Snowmobiling and skying isn't for me, and most other folks. Thats one reason why a lot of people are leaving the state.

But I could winter in Florida, and summer and fall in Michigan, I'd do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies