U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 PM

41,313 posts, read 41,467,672 times

Advertisements

A good start.

Tea Party wins: $100 billion in cuts in House GOP spending bill - The Hill's On The Money

Quote:
In the CR $81 billion has been cut from non-security programs, and security-related programs have been reduced by $19 billion, compared to Obama’s 2011 budget request.

The legislation will increase funding for the Department of Defense by 2 percent over last year’s level.
Why? They don't need an increase, they need to be cut.

Here is the CR;

http://thehill.com/images/stories/ne...rogramcuts.pdf

I especially like ALL the defunding of anything to do with global warming.

Last edited by sanrene; 02-11-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,956,478 times
I'd like to see DHS de-funded.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,449,757 times
Who is the party of NO and big spending now?

Quote:
The CR was immediately rejected by the lead appropriator in the Senate.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM

13,535 posts, read 8,477,788 times
The House Republican Leadership will craft a bill to satisfy the tea party and then pass it. The Senate will do their own thing and then at conference the differences will be smoothed out. The Senate will pass the bill and the House will pass the bill with some Democratic support.

The tea party gets to vote on the cuts and then claim they tried and then blame the Senate.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM

41,313 posts, read 41,467,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The House Republican Leadership will craft a bill to satisfy the tea party and then pass it. The Senate will do their own thing and then at conference the differences will be smoothed out. The Senate will pass the bill and the House will pass the bill with some Democratic support.

The tea party gets to vote on the cuts and then claim they tried and then blame the Senate.
Not this time.

If the democrats want to shut down the government, except for essential services, fine by me.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:48 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,647,707 times
Never vote for a republican or democrat. They are why we are in such situation now. Should have an I.Q. of at least 125 to vote. Or a net worth of five dollars.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,692,392 times
Who do they think they're fooling?

Y'all do realize, don't you, that the President's proposed budget for the fiscal year, which is already nearly half over, calls for spending just over $3.8 trillion? For the uninitiated, that's 3,800 billions.

And the very best they can do is to cut 1/38th of that? With much anguish and hand-wringing, this is "deep" cuts in spending? This is paring it to the bone?

Worse, they're proposing cuts they KNOW will never get past the Senate! Instead of everyone sitting down together and finding REAL spending cuts which might actually amount to something, they're once again granstanding, pretending to "do something," but with an eye on 2012 rather than the budget. Once more, the GOP is showing themselves to be the party of appearance, rather than substance.

What a load of horse manure.

Heck, give me a sharp knife and I'll bet I can find more than 1/38th of the bloated federal budget to cut out. I'll bet you could too.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 AM

7,544 posts, read 7,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Who do they think they're fooling?

Y'all do realize, don't you, that the President's proposed budget for the fiscal year, which is already nearly half over, calls for spending just over $3.8 trillion? For the uninitiated, that's 3,800 billions.

And the very best they can do is to cut 1/38th of that? With much anguish and hand-wringing, this is "deep" cuts in spending? This is paring it to the bone?

Worse, they're proposing cuts they KNOW will never get past the Senate! Instead of everyone sitting down together and finding REAL spending cuts which might actually amount to something, they're once again granstanding, pretending to "do something," but with an eye on 2012 rather than the budget. Once more, the GOP is showing themselves to be the party of appearance, rather than substance.

What a load of horse manure.

Heck, give me a sharp knife and I'll bet I can find more than 1/38th of the bloated federal budget to cut out. I'll bet you could too.
I agree, the cuts do not go nearly far enough. However, it's a good step in the correct direction and the R's are taking major flack for it from the likes of none other than Nancy Pelosi and other democrat hacks.

Quote:
“Republicans are proposing an irresponsible spending bill that threatens job and economic growth, hampers our global competitiveness, and harms the people hurting most: working families and the middle class,” said Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement.
I mean, how are we supposed to ever get the budget balanced when you have idiots like this who will oppose you every step of the way? What part of $14+Trillion deficit does Nancy NOT understand?? Why are the democrats being so obstructionist on this issue?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,692,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I agree, the cuts do not go nearly far enough. However, it's a good step in the correct direction and the R's are taking major flack for it from the likes of none other than Nancy Pelosi and other democrat hacks.

I mean, how are we supposed to ever get the budget balanced when you have idiots like this who will oppose you every step of the way? What part of $14+Trillion deficit does Nancy NOT understand?? Why are the democrats being so obstructionist on this issue?

Democrat's being obstructionist? LOL That's a hoot! You're suggesting that it is ONLY the Democrats who aren't serious about cutting spending and that's just clearly not so. NEITHER party is willing to really do something about spending because they'll have to go home next year and explain to their constituents why they cut THEIR government check.

See? The problem isn't political parties or even what happens in Washington. The problem is that we all want OUR slice of the federal pie left alone. Take it out of someone elses' account, not mine! We need, and deserve ours, but everyone else doesn't!

WE are the problem and until WE are willing to accept less, nothing will be done. Heck, in a representative democracy, nothing CAN be done until we demand it and are willing to suffer a share of the pain.

But, consider this: Right now, revenues are down and spending is up because of the recession, which is not yet over. When the economy heats up again, revenue will once again come pouring into the federal treasury and emergency programs designed to keep people and the nation solvent through the emergency can be cut. At that time, the deficit is likely to disappear altogether and that time isn't far away.

So, the question is whether or not we're willing make cuts which might endanger that recovery, and perhaps prolong the the suffering, to address a problem which will go away on it's own with time?

And, by the way, there is a difference between a deficit and a debt. The figure you used is not the deficit: it's the total amount of debt we owe. The deficit, which is the yearly amount of over-spending we do, is forecast to be just over $1 trillion for the 2011 budget. In a year with a healthy economy, a $3.8 trillion budget would likely have no deficit at all as income would be able to pay for that amount of spending.

As for the debt? Right now, it looks bad because it's a large percentage of a faltering economy and it is the percentage of debt in relation to the overall GDP which is important. When the economy gets going again, that percentage will fall to more resonable and sustainable levels. Moreover, a hot economy is inflationary by nature and that will result in the debt being even less of a problem because we'll be able to repay that debt with inflated dollars, essentially eliminating part of it.

At the end of the day, it's really not as bad as everyone seems to think it is and most of the problems can be solved by a recovered economy. That doesn't mean we can't afford to cut a lot of un-neccessary spending, but it also doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

Take a look at the political verbiage being tossed around Washington in the early 1930's. With FDR's proposals came the same kind of alarmist rhetoric from the GOP that we hear today. Deficit spending will ruin us! We're going broke! But, by the end of that decade when the economy had turned around, that kind of talk ceased and America survived. Not only survived, but prospered.

There isn't anything to suggest that this time will be any different if we'll just be patient.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 AM

3,465 posts, read 3,366,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
A good start.

Tea Party wins: $100 billion in cuts in House GOP spending bill - The Hill's On The Money

Why? They don't need an increase, they need to be cut.

Here is the CR;

http://thehill.com/images/stories/ne...rogramcuts.pdf

I especially like ALL the defunding of anything to do with global warming.
It is nothing but a show. 100 billion is less than 1% of the budget. I bet if they just do an audit, they will find more than that amount unaccountable. The best of it is there is no record of it and no one get into tltrouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies