Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 AM

256 posts, read 216,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
That still doesn't mean that anyone can't buy one.

Where in the law does it say, "No one in the general public can purchase a serialized hi-cap magazine"?

That is not in the law. Unless it specifies exactly what the "few elite groups" are, then it is not a restriction.
All right, let's see if I can spell it out for you.

Paragraph 1 (i) says "Except as provided in clause (ii), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device."

Paragraph 1 (ii) says "Clause (i) shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed within the United States on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection."
(This is the grandfather clause that allows ownership and transfer of hi-cap mags produced prior to enactment of the bill.)

If the bill stopped there, no one would be allowed to possess/transfer a hi-cap mag at all.

Paragraph 2 says "Paragraph (1) shall not apply to––

‘(A) a manufacture for, transfer to, or possession by the United States or a department or agency of the United States or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State, or a transfer to or possession by a law enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement (whether on or off duty);

‘(B) a transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such a licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

‘(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving ammunition, of a large capacity ammunition feeding device transferred to the individual by the agency upon that retirement; or

‘(D) a manufacture, transfer, or possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.’. "

So, unless you fit into one the groups (A), (B), (C), or (D) above, Paragraph 1 (i) applies to you, and you are not allowed to own/transfer a serialized hi-cap mag.

I hope that clarifies what the law does. Hi-cap mags produced before enactment of the bill have no restrictions on ownership/transfer. Hi-cap mags produced after enactment of the bill are required to have a serial number (that's in subsection (d) of the bill) and cannot be owned except by a few elite groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
It's this simple, if you don't want one, don't own it. If you do, then you should be free to do so and go through your state's channels to obtain it.

This banning of things is a bit nuts.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
A stinking serial number is going to do exactly what?

This is pure bullcocky....

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Thanks Reg So. I get tired of spoon feeding those with poor reading comprehension or those who won't even read the bill in the first place.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
All right, let's see if I can spell it out for you.

Paragraph 1 (i) says "Except as provided in clause (ii), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device."

Paragraph 1 (ii) says "Clause (i) shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed within the United States on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection."
(This is the grandfather clause that allows ownership and transfer of hi-cap mags produced prior to enactment of the bill.)

If the bill stopped there, no one would be allowed to possess/transfer a hi-cap mag at all.

Paragraph 2 says "Paragraph (1) shall not apply to––

‘(A) a manufacture for, transfer to, or possession by the United States or a department or agency of the United States or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State, or a transfer to or possession by a law enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement (whether on or off duty);

‘(B) a transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such a licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

‘(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving ammunition, of a large capacity ammunition feeding device transferred to the individual by the agency upon that retirement; or

‘(D) a manufacture, transfer, or possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.’. "

So, unless you fit into one the groups (A), (B), (C), or (D) above, Paragraph 1 (i) applies to you, and you are not allowed to own/transfer a serialized hi-cap mag.

I hope that clarifies what the law does. Hi-cap mags produced before enactment of the bill have no restrictions on ownership/transfer. Hi-cap mags produced after enactment of the bill are required to have a serial number (that's in subsection (d) of the bill) and cannot be owned except by a few elite groups.
So it does limit who it can be sold to, thats what I was asking, if that was in the bill.

So I won't support that. However, if someone offers a bill that serializes all of them in the future, without restriction to those lawfully able to buy firearms, then I would support that.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Biden did this under Bill Clinton with that ban. it lasted a decade, did exactly nothing, and now here it comes again. This time a serial number is gonna 'protect' sheep.

Hell is there a electric can opener registery? A electric can opener has a serial number, and sheep get cuts opening tin cans every day.

WHO the Hell is goning to enforce any serial number when there is No registry?

At best all that can be done is once a mag has been found AFTER if was in a crime, then like with a car tire that serial number might mean something, but I bet it means a lot less than the number on a tire.

What sets me off is, TAXES are wasted doing this kind of BS! Taxes are bad enough, but this is total wasted effort.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Memphis Why? The serial number is a really moot point. Your smart enough to know what a mag is and I bet you own some. This is just knee jerkin around with no point what so ever.

NICS messed up, BATF messed up, and all that ever happens is the law abiding SOB's take another hit. I have simply had it and refuse to be infringed upon anymore.

Screw em.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Memphis Why? The serial number is a really moot point. Your smart enough to know what a mag is and I bet you own some. This is just knee jerkin around with no point what so ever.

NICS messed up, BATF messed up, and all that ever happens is the law abiding SOB's take another hit. I have simply had it and refuse to be infringed upon anymore.

Screw em.
We can track the buying of the serialized magazines. So if someone has been flagged by certain watchlists, and then are buying high capacity magazines, then we can put 2 and 2 together and check them out.

If it prevented one shooting, would that be worth the effort? Guns are already serialized, I don't care who knows I'm buying a lawful product.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We can track the buying of the serialized magazines. So if someone has been flagged by certain watchlists, and then are buying high capacity magazines, then we can put 2 and 2 together and check them out.

If it prevented one shooting, would that be worth the effort? Guns are already serialized, I don't care who knows I'm buying a lawful product.
Guns require the services of an FFL to handle the transfer. Doing paperwork on millions and millions of highcap mags would be a logistical nightmare. One just has to scratch off the serial number and claim it was a grandfathered mag anyway. Beat it up a bit and make it look "aged".

Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Yeah sure guns have a serial number. You own a few guns right? Do you know who has access to the numbers on your guns? I do.

If one of your guns is stolen, and you don't know it, say you went to Euro for 1 year and your house was broken into and the safe stolen, so bad guys have all the time they need to open our safe, just sayin'.

A gun of yours is used in a crime and then some how it's found. That is the only way the numbers do anyone any good, and most all it does is pay public servants to create a ong paper trail, which will end with you, your stolen gun which you won't get back, and then if there is any other leads from the break in, which cops don't really care about, maybe, just maybe they catch the bad guy.

If a customer pays cash how are you gonna track squat. Make him fill out a tax form for a new mag?

Hell if we just want to track ever private transaction there is, where is the line for Vera Chip? That will track every last thing any will ever buy.

May as well register people. Oh they do that now SS card and number.

If these numbers work so well why is there crime at all?

Bill CLinton wanted mircroscopic numbers in all gun powders too. Such fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies