Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yeah sure guns have a serial number. You own a few guns right? Do you know who has access to the numbers on your guns? I do.

If one of your guns is stolen, and you don't know it, say you went to Euro for 1 year and your house was broken into and the safe stolen, so bad guys have all the time they need to open our safe, just sayin'.

A gun of yours is used in a crime and then some how it's found. That is the only way the numbers do anyone any good, and most all it does is pay public servants to create a ong paper trail, which will end with you, your stolen gun which you won't get back, and then if there is any other leads from the break in, which cops don't really care about, maybe, just maybe they catch the bad guy.

If a customer pays cash how are you gonna track squat. Make him fill out a tax form for a new mag?

Hell if we just want to track ever private transaction there is, where is the line for Vera Chip? That will track every last thing any will ever buy.

May as well register people. Oh they do that now SS card and number.

If these numbers work so well why is there crime at all?

Bill CLinton wanted mircroscopic numbers in all gun powders too. Such fools.
I don't believe that the market for high capacity magazines is that high, which makes tracking them better.

Track the sell of hicap magazines just like you do firearms, which is where the serial number has its most use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't believe that the market for high capacity magazines is that high, which makes tracking them better.
AK mags go for $8 a pop in large quantities. They are bought by the truckload. Average AK owners have about 30-50 mags, easy. Glock owners easily have 10-20 mags per gun.

Surplus European Steel AK47 7.62x39 30rd Magazines

Quote:
Track the sell of hicap magazines just like you do firearms, which is where the serial number has its most use.
Hi cap mags outnumber guns by many, MANY times. The amount of paperwork required to track this sort of stuff is beyond comprehension. The ATF would be easily understaffed to audit it, and like I said you can just scratch off the serial number, beat up the mag a bit, and it'll look just like a grandfathered one.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
As I said this was done with Bill Clinton behind the wheel Joe Biden our same Joe Biden drew up Bills Ban.... That ban didn't do anything.

Hi cap mags were part of that ban and it didn't do a thing. There were plenty of mags in stores before the ban and they were still in stores a decade later.

That foolish ban made sheep think you couldn't buy a AK clone and other imorted guns, but you could and in any mom and pop gunstore across the USA.

The Ban was in full effect before and after 911. In Oct after the ban a politcal woman came on the news and said a few really stupid things, and I took up my wife at 4:45 and hit up my local gun store and was home with the first of 3 AK-47 clones by 5:15.

I either need more money or less gun grabbing fools on tv as it gets expensive putting my money where their mouth is. At least I get to come home with another gun.

I shoot flintlocks, but once the grabbers were after them. So my deal now is when they whine about it on tv I got buy a mean nasty 'looking' gun, for no more reason than I can.

30 mags for the Ak's huh Summers. I have just 24, I must fix that.

I think it's less than 8 bucks again per mag too. I was getting 4 at a time in a 'Rain Pattern' bag for 30 bucks shipped once.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

For what purpose would you possibly have to track a firearm accessory?

Why pick magazines? Why not sears, firing pins, slide stops, extended mag. releases, triggers, recoil rods and springs, or barrels? Were these not all part of the firearm used in the Tucson shooting too? I mean if you are going to pass knee-jerk, feel good, do nothing legislation..............

Good heavens, the Canadians chose to pass ballistic imprint tracking and it cost them $Billions. How many crimes were solved as a result? Nada, Zip, Zero! I believe they have since done away with that silly nanny state program.

But hey, what is a government regulatory program worth if it doesn't cost $Billions to the taxpayer and reap absolutley no results? At least you got to buy off the anti-gun lobby and voters, right?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
For what purpose would you possibly have to track a firearm accessory?

Why pick magazines? Why not sears, firing pins, slide stops, extended mag. releases, triggers, recoil rods and springs, or barrels? Were these not all part of the firearm used in the Tucson shooting too? I mean if you are going to pass knee-jerk, feel good, do nothing legislation..............

Good heavens, the Canadians chose to pass ballistic imprint tracking and it cost them $Billions. How many crimes were solved as a result? Nada, Zip, Zero! I believe they have since done away with that silly nanny state program.

But hey, what is a government regulatory program worth if it doesn't cost $Billions to the taxpayer and reap absolutley no results? At least you got to buy off the anti-gun lobby and voters, right?

The question isn't how many crimes were solved, The question is how many crimes will these measures prevent, and that answer, as you know is exactly 0.

All this sort of thing does is make the law abiding closer to being the criminal, for no particular reason other than Govt Controll of everything.

People as you know will sell out their privacy at the drop of a hat.

I have, but then I don't matter to anyone other than my wife. I hope by being open and transparent it will help someone else stand up for their Rights.

All the Govt does is scam up reasons to rake in Taxes, and Fees, and then all they do is squander it. It really has become the Govt against the People. We have been robbed of our own Govt.

As it is now it is the Govt for the Govt by the Govt. Way too big to fail I guess.

The Govt has the idea that while there is plenty of resourses that there are not enough for the common man.

I think the Govt has it backwards. Maybe there isn't enough resouces for the Govt.

I just don't want to see the day the sheep bleet because a loaf of bread is worth 100 notes of debt.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
80 Dems, 0 Reps

Making it a felony to own an inanimate, inert object.

H.R. 308: Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act - AR15.COM

I see how they excluded all law enforcement from this bill to include both state and federal. when they are the ones who need this ban more than the law abiding citizen.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I see how they excluded all law enforcement from this bill to include both state and federal. when they are the ones who need this ban more than the law abiding citizen.
OK, you got me lost.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
OK, you got me lost.

before any laws against the law abiding public be made, they should be applied to the law enforcement and goverment 1st.

if the dems are so much in favor of having a high capacity ban in place, then they should make it for everyone to include the cops and federal law enforcement, not just the law abiding.

this bill does nothing to take high capacity magazines out of the hands of the criminal and does in fact hinder the law abiding.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
What the hell is it about Hi-cap magazines for both the gun nuts (like me) and the anti gun fanatics? One of the most effective self defense weapons I ever shot had a capacity of two. It was a cap lock double short bbl 1 in bore blackpowder pistol. What that thing would do to a watermelon at 20 ft was simply amazing. BOOM - BOOM and watermelon fragments all over the range. Against human atackers that thing was a one shot stopper.

IMHO HI-cap magazines let you miss more in less time. Notwithstanding I do NOT want them or ANY guns registered by anyone anywhere.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
AK mags go for $8 a pop in large quantities. They are bought by the truckload. Average AK owners have about 30-50 mags, easy. Glock owners easily have 10-20 mags per gun.

Surplus European Steel AK47 7.62x39 30rd Magazines

Hi cap mags outnumber guns by many, MANY times. The amount of paperwork required to track this sort of stuff is beyond comprehension. The ATF would be easily understaffed to audit it, and like I said you can just scratch off the serial number, beat up the mag a bit, and it'll look just like a grandfathered one.

30-50 mags? 10-20 mags?

Wow. We have, on the average, about 4 magazines per rifle and only two per pistol.

An Ar-15 mag is $17-35 per pop, and an ar-10 is $40 (unless you get old FAL .308 mags which are $10). Handgun mags vary widely in price, but for most of our Sigs and H&Ks, they are about $25 each.

An AK drum is about $85 and an AR-15 "snail drum" is $80-$90 (used).

I am a little shocked if people have that many mags. Why the hell would they have so many mags per gun? We take one in the rifle and three spares when hog hunting (20-30 shot mags). That is plenty. One spare mag for a pistol is plenty as well, as the modern pistols have up to 15 shots with double stackers. Very few modern handguns (with the exception of the .45s) have single stacked mags with 7-8 shots.

I thought I was pretty flush with mags, but apparently not.

High cap mags are fun, but we rarely use them. For Ar-15s, I cannot remember the last time we used a snail drum. Same thing for the AKs (I am almost embarrassed to say that I own a few, as they are such a POS stamped piece of junk). Again, the modern pistols have double stackers with up to 15 shots, which is more than enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies