Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
A culturally homogeneous America never will and never has existed. Period.
Exactly, the entire history of this country is based on different groups of people coming to this country establishing their own communities and on a generational basis gradually integrating with other groups.

Also this country has a repeated historical pattern of discriminating against groups of immigrants based on the perception they are somehow "Less Than" based on race, religion or ethnicity. It's ironic that people ranting about multiculturalism completely overlook the fact they Americans and in particular White Anglo-Saxon Protest Americans created the environment for multiculturalism to flourish by practicing longstanding persistent patterns of discrimination and exclusion.

The fears of "mulitculturalism" are the same fears that the "Know Nothings" expressed in the mid 19th century and the Klu Klux Klan expressed during their revival in the 1920's.

The pricinple drivers of the current fear is the fact that non-Hispanic White Americans are about to become a minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Well, nice try, (not really), but no cigar.

You didn't read very carefully. Here is a quote from my post "transplant them all to some other unpopulated place". I bolded the word you need to pay attention to.

Accordingly, while your disertation about the penal colony Australia is interesting, it is not quite on point, and certainly does anything BUT disprove what I said.

As you have noted, and anyone can see, there is a great deal more that they have in common than not, so your example made my point for me, not for you.

Furthermore, overwhelmingly, the difference you see now evolved over time as they lived apart from England and developed their own culture, so a closer analysis shows that your post STRONGLY SUPPORTS what I said, and I thank you for it.
Also this country has a repeated historical pattern of discriminating against groups of immigrants based on the perception they are somehow "Less Than" based on race, religion or ethnicity. It's ironic that people ranting about multiculturalism completely overlook the fact they Americans and in particular White Anglo-Saxon Protest Americans created the environment for multiculturalism to flourish by practicing longstanding persistent patterns of discrimination and exclusion.

Again, you’re the guy that said bammo if a group of people were transported from one place to another you'd replicate that country. That clearly did not happen in Australia, despite an egotistical bombastic, and intellectually deficient attempt to prove otherwise.

The worst part of your analogy is that a group of English were transported to North America and guess what it did not become England in North America it become both the United States of America and Canada.

Also multiculturalism seems to being quite well in Singapore which has had a extraordinary economic boom in the past 30 years with a mixture of Malay, Chinese, British and just about anybody else that wants to come there. Also Switzerland is one of the most affluent countries in the world based on per capita income where both German and French are spoken.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,952 times
"NY schools are going to continue to fail until they put a stop to mass immigration without assimilation and the destructive practice of multiculturalism, and the destructive indoctrination of our children in multiculturalism that is costing NY and our nation trillions of dollars.
Multiculturalism is antagonistic and race baiting to the dominant culture and disuniting America through the factionalization being caused by the secular and foreign religious attacks on, and eradication of, our Christian culture and heritage which is all inclusive. One Nation Under God.
Modern immigrants refuse to assimilate or get educated as drop out rates and social division demonstrates. Some immigrants mass migrating into the US from commonwealths may legally be considered citizens, but they are not Americans by their own admissions.
Many of our communities have been turned into third world socialized ghettos that costitute a boiling cauldron of cultural conflict and subversion."

On many Indian resevations you have to be an indian to own property and live on the reservation tax free. If you are married to an indian and live on the reservation and your indian spouse dies then you will have to leave the reservation.

Indians are very protective of their people, property, culture and heritage. Is this wrong? Indians learn from example. The American Christians cut their own throats and are now paying for it in many ways by being over trusting and friendly just like my indian ancestors, and we are still paying for it. Indians are a sovereign nation, and object to a foreign government trying to tax us or stick their fingers into our pie to support what they have created in their own society.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,832,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypp View Post
People who practice patterns of "discrimination and exclusion" don't allow millions of outsiders to flood into their country. Furthermore, if this 'exclusion' was so terrible why were not the 'excluded' fleeing and why were people wanting to come in?

Or should we just admit that White people establish countries and societies in which millions of people want to come to (even if 'discriminated') against? An example being apartheid South Africa where hundreds of thousands of Blacks from neighboring countries immigrated to the apartheid state.
The immigration into South Africa was solely because of Whites not allowing neighboring nations the opportunity to compete...a little something called colonialism. Then after apartheid, and the wreckage of Zimbabwe (a country beset by a White racist regime, followed by a Black racist regime), South Africa notably picked up economically along with other nations in the region (Botswana for example).

Just because people immigrate to a country does not mean there are no problems in that country. My father was an expat in Saudi Arabia, does that mean that socially things are kosher in Saudi Arabia? I currently live in South Korea, there are some things socially that need to be addressed here.

Every nation has their problems. America's main problem is the widening gap between rich and poor. A gap that is highly influenced by racism and has a historical background rooted in racist policies.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,580,471 times
it didn't fail in the ellis island era. enough said.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
it didn't fail in the ellis island era. enough said.
Because what once was the "melting pot" has now become the "salad bowl".

Melting pot was immigration and assimilation.
Salad bowl is just immigration without the assimilation.

America: Melting Pot or Salad Bowl?
Melting pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Salad bowl (cultural idea) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
This hilarious. Along the Northeast from Boston to Baltimore Irish, Italian, Chinese and Eastern European Jewish communities remain intact exactly where they were established in the 19th and early 20th Century. In the case of Philadelphia Irish communities settled in the 18th century remain... Irish! In the lower Eastside of New York, Italian is still spoken, and please don't get me started about Hasidic communities in Brooklyn. I could make the same observation about various communities in the Mid-west especially Chicago. So spare me the mythology of the good old days when immigrants rushed to become just plain old Americans.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This hilarious. Along the Northeast from Boston to Baltimore Irish, Italian, Chinese and Eastern European Jewish communities remain intact exactly where they were established in the 19th and early 20th Century. In the case of Philadelphia Irish communities settled in the 18th century remain... Irish! In the lower Eastside of New York, Italian is still spoken, and please don't get me started about Hasidic communities in Brooklyn. I could make the same observation about various communities in the Mid-west especially Chicago. So spare me the mythology of the good old days when immigrants rushed to become just plain old Americans.
I think you're missing the subtle difference.
While they segregate themselves, they still consider themselves Americans.
"In the good old days" they sent their kids to the US schools and it was important for their kids to learn English, learn the American way and be better off then them. That is where the assimilation came in.

Today we have a large number of immigrants from Mexico.
Some consider themselves Mexican and fly the Mexican flag over the US Flag. They do not want to assimilate. They want separate. They want to keep their birth nationality and their native language and live with us in America.

I do see 2nd and 3rd generation Mexican children entering school not knowing any English. And yes, here in Texas it is very possible to do everything you need to do and not worry about speaking English.

I also lived in South Florida for over 10 years and found more assimilation there. I was born and grew up in NYC and that is the ultimate in assimilation. NYC is a true melting pot and at the same time keeps their unique heritage. In NYC..everyone turns Irish on 3/17 and are welcomed.
What exists in NYC is not what you find in other cities around this nation.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Of course it failed in Europe, what actually succeeds in Europe besides high prices and riots?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,832,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because what once was the "melting pot" has now become the "salad bowl".

Melting pot was immigration and assimilation.
Salad bowl is just immigration without the assimilation.

America: Melting Pot or Salad Bowl?
Melting pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Salad bowl (cultural idea) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It was a melting pot? Tell that to my now dead Yiddish grandmother. Tell that to the Japanese Americans who have been here since the 1800s...many of them still speak Japanese. It was only up until the 1950s that German was taught in schools in Pennsylvania.

What about "Jersey Shore". Most of their ancestors came during that time, but still retain an Italian heritage.

It's NEVER been a melting pot. EVER!

BTW, Mexican immigrants speak fluent English by 3rd generation at a universal rate. In fact, 71% speak ONLY English (they don't know Spanish). 96% prefer to speak English. So again, assimilation. However, they do retain some cultural markers (food, religion, some Spanish sayings, music). This is very common.

Happy Texan, what America do you live in? Your "America" apparently contradicts reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies