Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this mafia bust make your life better, safer, happier in any way shape or form?
yes 20 39.22%
no 31 60.78%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times

Advertisements

Mafia bust nets 127 suspected members of organized crime in sweeping crackdown (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/the_mob/2011/01/20/2011-01-20_mafia_bust_nets_more_than_100_members_of_organi zed_crime_in_sweeping_crackdown.html - broken link)

I guess today a big mafia bust was made...more than a hundred, mainly Italian, mob figures arrested and locked up from crimes ranging from murder to racketeering...you know...the usual...

But my question is, as I hear and read about this bust...how does it really effect my life today??

And should I 'cheer?'...

Remember we were told

'the world will be a better place now that Saddam is gone'...

Well is it? Are the drug cartels nicer people now that Saddam is gone?
Now that Saddam is gone, are fuel prices under control? Has robbery stopped?
Did Saddams demise bring about a cure to aids? or stop corruption?

Point being...I really have nothing to cheer about here...

So they went after some old mobsters...good for them...but in the over all scheme of things...what will it really change?

It won't change human nature...
It won't end corruption in business...
It won't have an effect on the Mexican Cartel
It won't stop violence in the middle east...

Infact, of all the worries that burden me today, none come from the Italian mob...absolutly none...

My number one concerns are employment, taxes, and other mandated state or governmental fees, and inflation and low wages...

Those are my number one concerns...not the Italian mob.

One thing I'll say about the Italian mob or other crime figures...is that
they don't forcebly take money out of my check...
In other words my involvement in or with crime is totally voluntary.

Crime is voluntary...state and federal fees and taxes are forced.

In other words, with the exception of extortion...if I don't want to deal with the mob or other crime sydicates...for the most part I can steer clear by simply keeping my head on the up and up...

But the government seems to force you to deal with them, whether you want to or not...by always passing laws, and raising taxes and adding fees that squeeze more and more money out of you...

The mafia and other crime sydicates can't do that...

Like I said, if I want to avoid the mob or other crime syndicates...than I can simply choose to not get involved in their 'world'...for the most part it's a choice...

So as I sit here today...hearing about them brag about realing all these old time mob guys in...it really changes nothing in my life at all...

Crime will go on, others will fill their void...other younger more violent less organized criminals...

But in all honesty, government mandated fees, insurances, tags, licences, code compliances, penalties, fines and tickets, ride my butt far more than the mafia ever has or ever will...

Last edited by Time and Space; 01-20-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
No it makes me realize, as my Ancestors always told me, the mafia is and will always be, they are vicious, and could kill in an instinct. Guess they are still all alive and kicking. Glad they got this bunch, wish they could get more of the bad guys.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
I guess if they are actually guilty of crime, then we are all better off.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I had read that one of the endeavors of the NY mafia was medicare fraud. If this bust stops that, or leads to other busts nationwide, its a good thing.

Organized crime comes in many forms. Perhaps some political organizations and their funneling of money should be similarly investigated!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
They should leave the Mafia alone...Most of them are just hardworking family men and honorable legitimate businessmen. Maybe a few of them make some money on the side gambling or loaning money to friends, but it's really just an unfortuntate Italian stereotype that needs to go away for the most part.

Wait, I mean there is no Mafia... I don't know nothing about any of that...Fughedaboutit...

Old 01-20-2011, 03:45 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
No it makes me realize, as my Ancestors always told me, the mafia is and will always be, they are vicious, and could kill in an instinct. Guess they are still all alive and kicking. Glad they got this bunch, wish they could get more of the bad guys.
Hi, I'm trying to think how to respond to this...

I do know that no one group operates in a total vaccum...in other words, it takes, took, co-operation from many peoples, agencies, in order for them to pull off what they did or still do...

I guess If I were personally victimized by the mob...my view would be different...but I haven't been...at least not knowingly...as a result...I could really careless about this bust...cause i know others will simply step in to take their place...

And again...it's a sad state of affairs when I fear the power and authority of the government more so than I do the mob...
The mob I can avoid...the government I can't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes, I suppose so, in a symbolic sense...but in reality...nothing will change...

Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I had read that one of the endeavors of the NY mafia was medicare fraud. If this bust stops that, or leads to other busts nationwide, its a good thing.

Organized crime comes in many forms. Perhaps some political organizations and their funneling of money should be similarly investigated!
I couldn't agree more!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
I'm betting that their lawyers will have them all out within 2 days except perhaps a few on the lowest rungs of the organization.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times
It's good they busted a large ring, but their priorities could be better. Why the mafia over the mexican cartals?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 PM

657 posts, read 697,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
It's good they busted a large ring, but their priorities could be better. Why the mafia over the mexican cartals?
Mexican cartels are way too powerful, I'm not sure the US could take them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies