Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
This is a bit much. People from Mexico refer to themselves as Mexican, although they too are residents of North America.

People from Columbia are Columbian, although they reside in South America.

People from the United States of America are American, that's how it's been and will continue to be. Taking offense to that or calling us arrogant is just ridiculous.
It's accurate to say that I'm from the US.
I don't say that I'm from America because it's exclusive and it dismisses others from the same continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't say that I'm from America because it's exclusive and it dismisses others from the same continent.
Yeah, right.

It's PC to say either and not arrogant in any way.

In Europe and other continents, including South America, they will ask "Are you American?". I guess your suggestion is we should say "No, I'm USan"??

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times
Or do what I do when asked where I'm from.... I tell them I'm from the greatest country in the world! Funny thing is no one has ever thought I meant Columbia or Canada

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Why not say that you're North American? Since you don't want them to assume you're from either Central or South America.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Saying I'm from the US is disparaging?
Really?

It's arrogant, albeit not unusual, for people from the US to think so highly of themselves that nothing else on the rest of the two continents matters.
Well, those people (in North America, anyhow) are either Mexican, or Canadian, and that's how they define themselves. They both call us Americans.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Far worse than using the shortened form "I am an American" is spending the hours you have on this planet looking for trivialities over which to start nonsensical arguments based on false presumptions.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM

109 posts, read 204,282 times
I have lived in the U.S for many years and I love it. I have different insight into this topic. I am British and a native English speaker and fully understand the OP's questions because I experienced the same thing upon arriving in the US.

I was first baffled by the American phenomenon of identifying some potential ancestry. Immigration and migrations happen all over the world and has been occurring during the same time-frame as US immigration. You know, other places are multicultural too, not just the US. Yet I only hear this form of ancestral identification in the US.

I meet people and they ask where I am from. I tell them and they say, Oh well I am Irish (or whatever, this is a frequent example). I say "Oh, where were you born, are your parents from Ireland, how often are you there?" Then they say in a thick Southern accent, "oh well I think some great grand uncle or something was Irish".

You can understand why this strikes some as odd. I thought it was really weird at first. And yes, there is a difference with Nationality and ethnicity. But I think some people are unclear about the definition. If you grew up with ethnic Russian parents in Brighton Beach, you could certainly say I am American with Russian ethnicity. That is an ethnic enclave. If you grew up in Tennessee to parents from North Carolina and go around saying you are Scottish, European people will think you are weird.

I think that some people just say things without really thinking about it. All cultures are diverse. Someone from Naples and someone from Rome are both Italian by nationality and culture, but there are major cultural differences. Same with the US.

Someone from New Orleans is culturally different from someone from the Pacific Northwest, but hey you are both American with different cultural variations just like someone from Paris versus someone from Provence.

The rest of the world refers to people from the US as Americans. So I don't see the argument there. It is just how it is done. The US has a great culture with so many interesting things. Look at the food alone, Cajun, Tex-Mex, Philly Steals, Wings, Burgers, Southern Cooking, New England crab cakes. It is all around you. And it is delish!!!!! Culture is not just food, it is a similar way of thinking and similar values. I love the American focus on being independent and self sufficient. I also love how MANY Americans are open to being respectful of other cultures even when those cultures are not so accepting of American values. It is dignified.

I will be a citizen this year and will be happy to say I am American.

American culture is something to embrace. So quit worrying about if you MIGHT have had some Celtic ancestors a 1000 years ago and enjoy what you have and who you are now. :-)

Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
Ah, another Anti-American thread disguised as intelligent discourse.

I don't know anybody who talks about themselves the way you claim they do. Most people I know call themselves Americans. If you ask specifically what their background is they'll be happy to give a rundown: Irish, French, Italian, African, etc.

The only time Americans might lie about being American is when they're traveling to Europe where the locals treat Americans badly because of their own ignorance, small-mindedness, and misconceptions they've been bred to believe.

Quote:
Do Americans know that people in the other countries they claim to be from are laughing at them thinking they are stupid for saying they are from there?
Americans don't care what small, irrelevant countries think of us. Sorry.

Maybe Europeans should focus on bettering your own countries instead of constantly obsessing about the US and what the Americans are doing, thinking, eating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Far worse than using the shortened form "I am an American" is spending the hours you have on this planet looking for trivialities over which to start nonsensical arguments based on false presumptions.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post

I will be a citizen this year and will be happy to say I am American.
Welcome aboard!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Ok here is how the world works. Every place I have traveled when I have been questioned about my nationality I have, without exception, been asked if I am an American. I suppose in your hypersensitive condition, would say no, I am from the US. There are only a handful of pc crackpots who think as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies