Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 PM

803 posts, read 1,257,255 times

Advertisements

I know New England is very liberal and the west coast (California) is liberal, but how are their forms of liberalism different?

Like I am talking in terms of society and views of the people on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,918,568 times
I think more West Coast liberals see liberalism as a form of self expression. More hippies and artists for instance. More social libertarian slightly. East Coast is more labor oriented, and concerned with government policy.

Both sides have plenty of each...just a slight difference I've noticed.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,897,628 times
west coast liberals are less in bed with unions, and the establishment of liberalism.. They are more socially liberal, and tend to not fall in line with EVERYTHING in the Democrat camp. I would say west coast liberals are less hardcore, and approach things politically one issue at a time.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
west coast liberals are less in bed with unions, and the establishment of liberalism.. They are more socially liberal, and tend to not fall in line with EVERYTHING in the Democrat camp. I would say west coast liberals are less hardcore, and approach things politically one issue at a time.
I'd lump most popular liberal blogs in the "East Coast" camp ( if there is one) Mostly policy oriented, pragmatic.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,252,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I think more West Coast liberals see liberalism as a form of self expression. More hippies and artists for instance. More social libertarian slightly. East Coast is more labor oriented, and concerned with government policy.

I think I agree with this. East Coast is actually more scary (from a Conservative Perspective anyway!) They are more serious minded, intellectual activist & they work harder on indoctrinating school children and turning them into little activists! The west coast liberals (I'm talking California) are more free spirited, anything goes hippie types. This, of course is a generalization. But since you asked...

Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,213,360 times
Quote:

+1...wholeheartedly agree

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM

803 posts, read 1,257,255 times
So which ones are bigger on political correctness?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I think I agree with this. East Coast is actually more scary (from a Conservative Perspective anyway!) They are more serious minded, intellectual activist & they work harder on indoctrinating school children and turning them into little activists! The west coast liberals (I'm talking California) are more free spirited, anything goes hippie types. This, of course is a generalization. But since you asked...
Yes "indoctrinating children".....I see your living in reality....LOL

[This is what is known as "projection". As if evangelical christians, right wing home schoolers, and churches, didn't write the book on "indoctrinating". ]

Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,897,628 times
Quote:
I'd lump most popular liberal blogs in the "East Coast" camp ( if there is one) Mostly policy oriented, pragmatic.
perhaps, but I for one am a west coast liberal, and I most certainly do not agree with every stance on the issues with the democratic camp. I think east coast liberals are like middle american conservatives in that when they vote they don't look at the issues, they just go to the ballot box and vote for the person with the blue or red box by their name. Where as east coast conservatives and west coast liberals place their vote for the particular party more as the "best of the two evils" sort of decision.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,252,896 times
Quote:
Yes "indoctrinating children".....I see your living in reality....LOL

[This is what is known as "projection". As if evangelical christians, home schoolers, churches, didn't write the book on "indoctrinating". ]
But that is the Family's Values. It is by the family's choice. It reflects what the family believes in. This is what Conservatives believe in. You may not agree with it. But some do. The east coast tends to be very liberal and the schools tend to push their liberal philosophies and pull in the kids to become activists. Some love it. Conservatives tend not to as they believe that is the family's job. Just stating the differences. I tend not to like it as I am more conservative. Liberals like it. It is a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies