Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
SILVER SPRING, Md., Aug. 27 — For a moment, the Ethiopian-born activist seemed to melt into the crowd, blending into the sea of black professors, health experts and community leaders considering how to educate blacks about the dangers of prostate cancer. But when he piped up to suggest focusing some attention on African immigrants, the dividing lines were promptly and pointedly drawn.
The focus of the campaign, the activist, Abdulaziz Kamus, was told, would be strictly on African-Americans.
''I said, 'But I am African and I am an American citizen; am I not African-American?''' said Mr. Kamus, who is an advocate for African immigrants here, recalling his sense of bewilderment. ''They said 'No, no, no, not you.'''

'African-American' Becomes a Term for Debate - NYTimes.com

What do you think about it ? Sorry for the old article, but African immigrants and Haitian immigrants population boomed, so I guess it's good to know more about it
Black immigrants are not the same, they are often better and succeed like the Asians often due when they get here.
They are ready, willing and able to work; no excuses.
God bless them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 AM

956 posts, read 1,113,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Some of them appear to be motivated by the notion that, if they can somehow elevate African immigrants above American-born blacks, their stance against black Americans won't be seen as necessarily racist. It is a convenient way to dodge the racist label while giving themselves the liberty to project all manner of racist opinion onto black Americans. Let them spend a little time in Lagos and they'll come back saying the exact same things about Africans in general.
If they were racist towards black Americans, then I doubt that they would have much interest in traveling to Africa. Those whites who actually have been to Africa are usually more politically awake than the knee-jerk "I'm not racist but..." crowd. But I do agree with everything you said, it's amazing how people try to find ways to justify their prejudices.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I know an "African-American" who isn't black.
I know a Russian Jew who isn't Russian ?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If one is seen as a n*****r, treated like a n*****r, taught to think of themselves as a n*****r and knows nothing else, they become one. Most of my life has been spent straddling the line... on the one hand, I have an African father who in spite of being witness to half a life-time's worth of racist BS himself, he didn't come to America until he went to college... he already had an identity (of being normal). Being the minority in a country - and being the most despised minority at that - gives you a self-image that's anything but normal... even only fifty years ago, the media taught black americans that they were ugly, stupid, subservient failures... they continued to do this less-explicitly through Hollywood well into the early 90's.

On the other hand, I have an African-American mother whose own father and his 7 brothers used to shine shoes to eat scraps in Arkansas during Jim Crow. He's told me multiple times that he considered suicide when he was a kid because he "knew" that he was the absolute garbage of society. This society conditions blacks to think they're garbage and should only amount to garbage.

I've had to come to terms with my own questions of identity... to some on this board the obvious answer would be to ignore the n*****r mentality but they haven't been in these shoes... it's not that simple. To have one side of the family with a history of grief and pain solely because of their skin color and the other with no such history whatsoever is... interesting to say the least.

For those who want to point out Obama's election as the "end of racism", it's no coincidence that he's African. Obama grew up in a single-parent home and attended a very racist school in Hawaii for most of his teenage years. However, he knew he wasn't a n*****r since he was old enough to walk. It has as much to do with one's parents and their parents' background as it does with anything... back in the days of Jim Crow, being a black n*****r - a slave of the mind - was safer than being an intellectually free black man or woman. It's still true to an extent today.

Tragic doesn't begin to describe the last 100 years of African American history.

Great, great post.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If one is seen as a n*****r, treated like a n*****r, taught to think of themselves as a n*****r and knows nothing else, they become one. Most of my life has been spent straddling the line... on the one hand, I have an African father who in spite of being witness to half a life-time's worth of racist BS himself, he didn't come to America until he went to college... he already had an identity (of being normal). Being the minority in a country - and being the most despised minority at that - gives you a self-image that's anything but normal... even only fifty years ago, the media taught black americans that they were ugly, stupid, subservient failures... they continued to do this less-explicitly through Hollywood well into the early 90's.

On the other hand, I have an African-American mother whose own father and his 7 brothers used to shine shoes to eat scraps in Arkansas during Jim Crow. He's told me multiple times that he considered suicide when he was a kid because he "knew" that he was the absolute garbage of society. This society conditions blacks to think they're garbage and should only amount to garbage.

I've had to come to terms with my own questions of identity... to some on this board the obvious answer would be to ignore the n*****r mentality but they haven't been in these shoes... it's not that simple. To have one side of the family with a history of grief and pain solely because of their skin color and the other with no such history whatsoever is... interesting to say the least.

For those who want to point out Obama's election as the "end of racism", it's no coincidence that he's African. Obama grew up in a single-parent home and attended a very racist school in Hawaii for most of his teenage years. However, he knew he wasn't a n*****r since he was old enough to walk. It has as much to do with one's parents and their parents' background as it does with anything... back in the days of Jim Crow, being a black n*****r - a slave of the mind - was safer than being an intellectually free black man or woman. It's still true to an extent today.

Tragic doesn't begin to describe the last 100 years of African American history.
You really broke it down...seriously! But the sad thing is that those who take the other side will read it and dismiss it because they can't handle the truth. They have their preconceived notions about our people and since it fits in their neat little box, they refuse to take a harder look.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineties flava View Post
if one is seen as a n*****r, treated like a n*****r, taught to think of themselves as a n*****r and knows nothing else, they become one. Most of my life has been spent straddling the line... On the one hand, i have an african father who in spite of being witness to half a life-time's worth of racist bs himself, he didn't come to america until he went to college... He already had an identity (of being normal). Being the minority in a country - and being the most despised minority at that - gives you a self-image that's anything but normal... Even only fifty years ago, the media taught black americans that they were ugly, stupid, subservient failures... They continued to do this less-explicitly through hollywood well into the early 90's.

On the other hand, i have an african-american mother whose own father and his 7 brothers used to shine shoes to eat scraps in arkansas during jim crow. He's told me multiple times that he considered suicide when he was a kid because he "knew" that he was the absolute garbage of society. This society conditions blacks to think they're garbage and should only amount to garbage.

I've had to come to terms with my own questions of identity... To some on this board the obvious answer would be to ignore the n*****r mentality but they haven't been in these shoes... It's not that simple. To have one side of the family with a history of grief and pain solely because of their skin color and the other with no such history whatsoever is... Interesting to say the least.

For those who want to point out obama's election as the "end of racism", it's no coincidence that he's african. Obama grew up in a single-parent home and attended a very racist school in hawaii for most of his teenage years. However, he knew he wasn't a n*****r since he was old enough to walk. It has as much to do with one's parents and their parents' background as it does with anything... Back in the days of jim crow, being a black n*****r - a slave of the mind - was safer than being an intellectually free black man or woman. It's still true to an extent today.

Tragic doesn't begin to describe the last 100 years of african american history.
T r u t h

Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
If they were racist towards black Americans, then I doubt that they would have much interest in traveling to Africa. Those whites who actually have been to Africa are usually more politically awake than the knee-jerk "I'm not racist but..." crowd. But I do agree with everything you said, it's amazing how people try to find ways to justify their prejudices.
Absolutely. Moreover, these are also usually the same folks who when discussions comparing "African civilizations" to others arise are quick to employ the same racist explanations and generalizations they use to denigrate American black culture.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times
Default Oh NO ! ... It Couldn't Be ! ... It Ain't No Such A Thang ! America's Black Racist's ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Many American blacks are flat out jealous that most African black immigrants to the U.S.A. can and do get good jobs as a result of being better educated and more intelligent than most American blacks.

On the other hand, these same American blacks hate the African black immigrants to the U.S.A. because most of the immigrants actually can speak English properly and their men rarely abandon their own children.
tonythetuna !!! ... Ain't It The Truth !

Blimey ... Such a bunch of ole "Racist American Black Folks" !!! What ?

These blighters like to absolutely claim African heritage and yet so many have never once looked upon the beautiful African continent ... and yet will disown and minimize a true African immigrant that becomes an citizen of the states !!!

Appears to be a bit bonkers to me mates. Such "RACIST'S" ....... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH !!!

Ave Ah Nice Day Mates / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
tonythetuna !!! ... Ain't It The Truth !

Blimey ... Such a bunch of ole "Racist American Black Folks" !!! What ?

These blighters like to absolutely claim African heritage and yet so many have never once looked upon the beautiful African continent ... and yet will disown and minimize a true African immigrant that becomes an citizen of the states !!!

Appears to be a bit bonkers to me mates. Such "RACIST'S" ....... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH !!!

Ave Ah Nice Day Mates / Old Sgt. Lamar
I wonder if African immigrants know that they're so loved by the white community in this country? (hell....i didn't know either)

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times
Default The New Immigration Trend !!! Refreshing Is It Not ??? What ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Black immigrants are not the same, they are often better and succeed like the Asians often due when they get here.
They are ready, willing and able to work; no excuses.
God bless them.
RCCCB !!! ... Your Post Is On The Money !

A most accurate and sensible post indeed !!!

Cheerio Mates / Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies