Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
Because when it all comes down to it we are the same damn folks. We just come from different countries or states and different heritage. I think its stupid to start separating black americans from black immigrants. Of course there is a cultural and skin complexion difference but it doesn't change the fact that an immigrant from Africa is just as black as a born black american.
I concur and to hit the point home even harder there are very few things a black raised in seattle has with a georgia black or a california black. Their culture, like germans, irish, italians etc has more to do with the regional sensibilities & familial ties they're living out than the color of their skin. I see no evidence that blacks have a distinct culture of their own that isn't a commercial by product of fads much the same as white folks melting pot has watered down their distinct customs of their origins.

More than a little strange for me to walk onto an indian reservation on long island and meet a black who married into the tribe now selling discount cigaretttes. Cultural preservation? A wooden tobacco indian holding a peace pipe will greet you at a trailer home sales room. Looks like they've upgraded a bit..
About Us
but... having been native born there, entire school districts named after numerous tribes, I don't recall ever meeting an actual Native American or witness the culture they claim is theirs directly with my own eyes. In South Dakota I saw some. Navajo country too. But not Long Island. Native Long Islanders are left wondering why we make space to accommodate something that doesn't exist. Whether they chose to assimilate or their progeny scattered or went west, there doesn't appear to be any reason these reservations exist on Long Island save for a tax shelter for cigarettes. I believe that is a sad truth, but still no evidence surfaces to contradict.

Native Americans, if they're living their customs on reserved land, it makes sense to have the hyphen. African Americans should just be Americans or decide they don't mean to be here. They wanted desegregation and equality and when it's right there facing them they psychologically retreat into arguments their identity was stolen and don't want to be white. Sorry, I can't help you anymore. If being who you are is now my responsibility, how is that not a human being asking me to be someones master? Doesn't compute.

All I can say at this point in time in history, and in my life; I wish them well but my work is done. They'll do their own work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
They are 100% correct.

If I were an African Immigrant, I would wear that statement as a badge of honor.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anecdote does not equal data.
Some does not equal all.

Nothing to see here.
Another inflammatory racist thread.

LOL, yes the NY Times is well known for it's troll articles. It is about time the left figured it ou!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
The article in question (which is from 2004) did some big Obama behind cleaning.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I worked with some true African Americans hailing from the continent itself. THEY do not like black Americans claiming to be African Americans as the black Americans have no clue what they have been through in their homeland.

I can see their point clearly.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I guess a difference is African immigrants can say what nation they are from. So possibly the idea is "African American" is more for people of "African ancestry, uncertain mixture."

Still I think Yaphet Kotto and Barack Obama are deemed "African Americans" rather than Cameroonian-American or Kenyan-American respectively. Both are children of African immigrants.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Some does not equal all.

Nothing to see here.
Yeah..can you imagine that..Blacks racist against other Blacks ?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Some does not equal all.

Nothing to see here.
Why does this subject scare you to the point that your contribution is to want to shut the thread down and suppress any discussion by name calling?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
My anecdote.

I work with two black males who do not like African born immigrants at all. They say they "look down on us" and "think they're better than us", us being "real" AAs, lol.

The real kicker was when they said "they're trying to take over the schools".

Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why does this subject scare you to the point that your contribution is to want to shut the thread down and suppress any discussion by name calling?
I guarantee if the thread was about a Palin the reaction would have been opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies