Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Black American is a better descriptor. Or just American. Nothing African about today's 200+ year removed US-born and bred black folks.
Black Americans are no more African than most white Americans are from Europe. We're all too far removed and are part of American culture and society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I not so long ago spoke with a black woman I had met in the late 80's; in our long phone conversation, she spoke of a secret that "most white people" don't know, the tension between African immigrants and native black folks. She slammed their attitudes, cooking and speech (ugga bugga she called it). I was kind of taken aback by this; I have had and currently have African co-workers and they have been very nice people.

Point is, black people are like everyone else; they can engage in nativism too.
Comments like these ^^^ are a main part of the problem.

So the opinion of ONE Black person with whom you've spoken is representative of ALL Black Americans? Yep, that makes sense.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
If there is any tension, then both sides are equally responsible for it. The way many in this thread (including the OP) are trying to frame this solely as a "black American" problem is telling.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Black Americans are no more African than most white Americans are from Europe. We're all too far removed and are part of American culture and society.
That might be true. But then, how removed white people are from Europe is an issue for them to decide. I'll worry about my own people...and remain an African American.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM

420 posts, read 877,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Many American blacks are flat out jealous that most African black immigrants to the U.S.A. can and do get good jobs as a result of being better educated and more intelligent than most American blacks.

On the other hand, these same American blacks hate the African black immigrants to the U.S.A. because most of the immigrants actually can speak English properly and their men rarely abandon their own children.
I really doubt this would be jealousy, implying that there would be something to evny. U.S. bred black people are, and always have been sensitive to inequity. Just as whites are about affirmative action.
So when an African or any foreign person is able to benefit from what appears to be intangible to the natives, that arouses a feeling of injustice.

And proper english you say? Well, Afro-Americans do not speak improper english because there is no such thing, unless you mean what is referred to as ebonics, the broken grammar passed onto slaves from their southern-twanged owners. African blacks, nor anyone on this planet,
are not any better than people born here.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Comments like these ^^^ are a main part of the problem.

So the opinion of ONE Black person with whom you've spoken is representative of ALL Black Americans? Yep, that makes sense.
But that comment shows how much blacks are like everyone else. Someone who has some long ago ancestor for Germany might hear that foreign language the same way, they're not going to understand a word of it, they won't really feel any kinship with the European.

In fact whites feel that "brotha" thing much less. Whites don't look at other whites from any European country and think they see a brotha. Whites tend to see actual blood relatives as their kinfolk and not all others.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But that comment shows how much blacks are like everyone else. Someone who has some long ago ancestor for Germany might hear that foreign language the same way, they're not going to understand a word of it, they won't really feel any kinship with the European.

In fact whites feel that "brotha" thing much less. Whites don't look at other whites from any European country and think they see a brotha. Whites tend to see actual blood relatives as their kinfolk and not all others.
I gotta agree with this post. Of course, if white folks made up only 12% of the population (and shrinking), they'd most certainly have the "brotha" complex. Besides, no matter where African Americans reside in this country, we share a common bond and history that you just naturally feel when we're around each other.....for the most part.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That might be true. But then, how removed white people are from Europe is an issue for them to decide. I'll worry about my own people...and remain an African American.
Who do you mean by that? Whoever you mean, that attitude is also not very helpful in my opinion. All Americans are your people

Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Who do you mean by that? Whoever you mean, that attitude is also not very helpful in my opinion. All Americans are your people
I mean what i said. You read English...

And yea, all Americans are my people. But black folks are MY PEOPLE!

And i'm not speaking for all blacks...let me make that clear. That's MY position.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I mean what i said. You read English...

And yea, all Americans are my people. But black folks are MY PEOPLE!

And i'm not speaking for all blacks...let me make that clear. That's MY position.
Thought so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies