Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If the limits have been removed, isn't it safe to say that the time of "limited government" has passed?
I am just doubting that it was all that limited in the first place. In my opinion an overbearing state government is just as bad as an overbearing federal government, perhaps worse. The way I see it you need a fairly potent federal government to stop the excesses of state governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Well, the best government is that which governs least...or not at all.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
The whole "limited government" stuff is so trite at this point, that i don't even pay it any attention anymore. I don't even know what that means at this point. I don't even think that the people who claim to espouse it even know what they're talking about when hey say it. It just sounds good...no more, no less. My inkling is that there has never been "limited government" in this country as conservatives define it. Someone or some group has always benefitted from government in one way or another.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
It went out and Obama came in. Thanks you Donkey people.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
During the 50s and 60s it was clearly understood that government was a servant to the people and to have a limited role, that is, to enforce the laws and protections defined in our Constitution.

What happened? How did we move in less than 50 years from a limited government to the one we have today that puts our constitutional freedoms in jeopardy?

Here is a link to a classic film shown to school children that clearly states that government's role is limited and is subservient to the people. Check out In Our Hands Parts I and II.

A/V Geeks Stock Footage*|*Archive*|*At Home
Progressivism stole it, and doesn't want to give it back.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
It went out and Obama came in. Thanks you Donkey people.
Let me say now, I offer my deepest and most sincerely apologies to donkeys the world over.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
It's bipartisan. Governments tend to expand and take over more and more of people's lives until kicked some sense back into. It's a natural law of things. The 'Patriot' act and spying on our own people, 'war on drugs', hoisted wars at taxpayers expense like in Iraq, war on abortions, bible thumping and shoving religion down everyone's throat, sticking nose into bedrooms of homosexuals, expanding debt and deficits, expanding military, trying to get their god into every classroom, etc... were just some of the Rebpulican 'contributions'

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Limited government has not been the case since Abraham Lincoln started the Civil War.
Not since the Whiskey Rebellion in 1794. Any defense of the 10th amendment will be smashed, with violence if necessary. The Federal Government barely pays lip service to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights unless it suits their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies