Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,233,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
... considering that you're resorting to the same trickery you're accusing others of.
I could just as easily be wrong. I am merely stating my opinion, just as you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Please! You're now trying to say that Bill Maher is a student of "Alinsky"! LMAO That crap is just tooooo funny!

You're saying that Bill Maher is spending time trying to be a political strategist via his show rather than just being an abrasive comedian, and that's just an absurd notion. WHY does a comedian who is known for being direct and abrasive need any "evidence" to say somewhat shocking things on his show to get a reaction! That's why people watch him.

Maybe Maher would like to see Obama re-elected......HOWEVER, Maher is not going to develop his show around political strategies to get Obama re-elected. Maybe Maher would like to see a different Democrat elected. We don't know for sure what he wants at this point.

Oh, no, you're not now suggesting that Bill Maher is an "intellectual" are you? Again LMAO. Do you really know who that guy is? He's a COMEDIAN. Geeeezzzz. Talk about trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill!
Agree to disagree.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,739,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I could just as easily be wrong. I am merely stating my opinion, just as you are.
Well, you're wrong. And that isn't just an opinion of mine.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, you're wrong.
In your opinion.

Quote:
And that isn't just an opinion of mine.
See above. ( infinity)

Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM

37,067 posts, read 42,032,683 times
I don't believe ANYONE is a Christian.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Don't forget his mom's second husband was one of those too.
I have not forgotten about hubby #2. How long was Mr. Obama aroiund him do you know? Long enough to make a daugher. yippee

Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,844,526 times
lol that's obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't believe ANYONE is a Christian.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,311,722 times
Obama gets destroyed on Christianity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-yUC...eature=related

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,826,018 times
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-yUC...eature=related
Just posturing by Alan Keyes before he was destroyed by Obama in the election.

But it did play a part in framing Obama's "Call to Renewal" speech. Part of which I have included below.

Obama's Historic "Call to Renewal" Speech - Steven Waldman

It wasn't until after college, when I went to Chicago to work as a community organizer for a group of Christian churches, that I confronted my own spiritual dilemma.
I was working with churches, and the Christians who I worked with recognized themselves in me. They saw that I knew their Book and that I shared their values and sang their songs. But they sensed that a part of me that remained removed, detached, that I was an observer in their midst.
And in time, I came to realize that something was missing as well -- that without a vessel for my beliefs, without a commitment to a particular community of faith, at some level I would always remain apart, and alone.
And if it weren't for the particular attributes of the historically black church, I may have accepted this fate. But as the months passed in Chicago, I found myself drawn - not just to work with the church, but to be in the church.
For one thing, I believed and still believe in the power of the African-American religious tradition to spur social change, a power made real by some of the leaders here today. Because of its past, the black church understands in an intimate way the Biblical call to feed the hungry and cloth the naked and challenge powers and principalities. And in its historical struggles for freedom and the rights of man, I was able to see faith as more than just a comfort to the weary or a hedge against death, but rather as an active, palpable agent in the world. As a source of hope.
And perhaps it was out of this intimate knowledge of hardship -- the grounding of faith in struggle -- that the church offered me a second insight, one that I think is important to emphasize today.
Faith doesn't mean that you don't have doubts.
You need to come to church in the first place precisely because you are first of this world, not apart from it. You need to embrace Christ precisely because you have sins to wash away - because you are human and need an ally in this difficult journey.
It was because of these newfound understandings that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th Street in the Southside of Chicago one day and affirm my Christian faith. It came about as a choice, and not an epiphany. I didn't fall out in church. The questions I had didn't magically disappear. But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt that I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth.
That's a path that has been shared by millions upon millions of Americans - evangelicals, Catholics, Protestants, Jews and Muslims alike; some since birth, others at certain turning points in their lives. It is not something they set apart from the rest of their beliefs and values. In fact, it is often what drives their beliefs and their values.
And that is why that, if we truly hope to speak to people where they're at - to communicate our hopes and values in a way that's relevant to their own - then as progressives, we cannot abandon the field of religious discourse.

I am not suggesting that every progressive suddenly latch on to religious terminology - that can be dangerous. Nothing is more transparent than inauthentic expressions of faith. As Jim has mentioned, some politicians come and clap -- off rhythm -- to the choir. We don't need that.
In fact, because I do not believe that religious people have a monopoly on morality, I would rather have someone who is grounded in morality and ethics, and who is also secular, affirm their morality and ethics and values without pretending that they're something they're not. They don't need to do that. None of us need to do that.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,739,560 times
Quote:
When people debate on what the President's religion is, I find solace in that the secular spirit that went into the constitution of the USA is well and alive, even though President Obama is going through the same tantrums of a fraction of the populace that Presidential candidate Thomas Jefferson did over two centuries earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies