Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you worried about the possibility of human-robot marriages?
Yes, I'm worried about it 11 8.53%
No, I'm not 113 87.60%
Not sure 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
In the case of marriage involving children, animals, robots, or whatever else the law can easily be redefined to make an exception.

You're not answering the question. Not specific to marriage, can a child, robot or animal sign ANY contract and have it be legally binding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 03:03 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're not answering the question. Not specific to marriage, can a child, robot or animal sign ANY contract and have it be legally binding?

What are you doing trying to interject rational thought into this discussion?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:11 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Yeah, silly me!

I was trying to illustrate how stupid the "but, but, but then people will be able to marry their barn animals, too!!!!" argument really is. I'm assuming you understand that?

If you wanted rational discussion, you should have left the hyperbolic strawmen arguments about children, robots and pets alone.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yeah, silly me!

I was trying to illustrate how stupid the "but, but, but then people will be able to marry their barn animals, too!!!!" argument really is. I'm assuming you understand that?
Of course, I think.

As I have said, they use the same argument that was used about interracial marriage and in a way, slavery. After all we changed the definition of a human when we ended slavery, yet animals are not humans now.

Sometimes the slippery slope worry is a little crazy.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:29 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Cosmic Log - Just say no ... to robot marriage?

I think this means they're losing the battle.
Who is they? Some of us never thought anyone would be marrying someone of their own sex?? I cannot see any reason for "marriage" unless it is for natural causes.

Might as well marry a robot as someone your own sex. Crazy is crazy and marrying someone of your won sex is just crazy. It is certainly not normal or it would be happening already. Marriage started back with Adam and Eve. How do you think the world got populated?

Please find something else to talk about. This has been discussed to death on here and try as one may, they cannot change the sex of a person to make it work right. Marriage is defined as "between and man and a woman." It can never be anything else.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Marriage is defined as "between and man and a woman." It can never be anything else.
It used to be "between a WHITE man and a WHITE woman." So yes, it can be something else. Sorry.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Who is they? Some of us never thought anyone would be marrying someone of their own sex?? I cannot see any reason for "marriage" unless it is for natural causes.

Might as well marry a robot as someone your own sex. Crazy is crazy and marrying someone of your won sex is just crazy. It is certainly not normal or it would be happening already. Marriage started back with Adam and Eve. How do you think the world got populated?

Please find something else to talk about. This has been discussed to death on here and try as one may, they cannot change the sex of a person to make it work right. Marriage is defined as "between and man and a woman." It can never be anything else.
Fine, then we should deny marriage to those heterosexual couples who cannot help populate the world.

"It works just fine between same sex-couples...believe me I know.

Same-sex marriage is "happening already" in the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Portugal and Iceland. In many other countries some sort of national civil partnerships for same-sex couples are legal, and provide the same benefits, rights and responsibilities of heterosexual marriage.

Personally I don't really care what it is called...marriage, same-sex marriage, civil partnership, etc...but it needs to be equal to that of a heterosexual marriage.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Fine, then we should deny marriage to those heterosexual couples who cannot help populate the world.

"It works just fine between same sex-couples...believe me I know.

Same-sex marriage is "happening already" in the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Portugal and Iceland. In many other countries some sort of national civil partnerships for same-sex couples are legal, and provide the same benefits, rights and responsibilities of heterosexual marriage.

Personally I don't really care what it is called...marriage, same-sex marriage, civil partnership, etc...but it needs to be equal to that of a heterosexual marriage.
I agree, that is why I like this direction best. Government Free Marriage take the government permission out of the equation and just have them certify the act.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Exactly. Homosexuals can get married just like everyone else. Understanding the definition of marriage.

Interesting that the OP continues to post all these gay-themed threads with the same results.
Yup, self loathing gay people marry members of the opposite sex all the time, have kids, live an unfulfilled life, cheat on their spouses, get divorced. This is what the family values folks promote. Last year, it was determined that MA had the lowest divorce rate, and southern red states had the highest. Yup, sounds like family values to me!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
What are you doing trying to interject rational thought into this discussion?

Agreed, theres nothing rational about same sex marriage.

And theres nothing stopping two gay lovers from entering into any contractual agreement they want. Thats why gay marriage isn't rational, its not needed other than to facilitate living a fantasy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies