Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you worried about the possibility of human-robot marriages?
Yes, I'm worried about it 11 8.53%
No, I'm not 113 87.60%
Not sure 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,181,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I have mentioned teenagers, not children. But if homosexuality/lesbians/transgenders/etc. have been fighting for their rights, I don’t see what would hold other orientations/preferences in doing the same. But I am talking, for the time being, about teenagers and their 40 year old girlfriend/boyfriend, for example. I repeat, TEENAGERS, not little children. But in a country like the USA, you never know.
If the "teenager" is of the age of consent, then who cares if they somehow fall in love with (and want to marry) a 40-year old?

If the "teenager" is not of the age of consent, then the relationship shouldn't happen.

The ability to give consent to sign a legal (and binding) contract is the only factor that should be considered in the legal contract called marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Children, robots, animals, plants (yes, some doofus in this thread actually said plants!), the Easter Bunny, etc. are NOT able to enter into any contracts legally - marriage or otherwise.
What is it specifically that you find repellent regarding children or teen marriage with adults of the same or even opposite sex? The issue of consent aside, which would be lowered and otherwise redefined for teenagers just as easily as redefining marriage, what is it specifically that you do not like regarding a woman marrying a teenage boy or a man marrying a teenage girl?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,325,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I find it interesting that alarmists keep saying that children marriage will be next when they don't realize it can never happen because it has been conclusively proven without a shadow of a doubt that children cannot give consent.
It has been?

Some children in some instances can sometimes not be legally allowed to give consent, but that is a lot different than 'it has been conclusively proven without a shadow of a doubt that children cannot give consent'

Quote:
not to mention the fact that we make men ashamed to be gay, therefore they're less likely to use protection in that case.
What makes an ashamed gay man less likely to use protection?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,600 times
Quote:
I have mentioned teenagers, not children. But if homosexuality/lesbians/transgenders/etc. have been fighting for their rights, I don’t see what would hold other orientations/preferences in doing the same. But I am talking, for the time being, about teenagers and their 40 year old girlfriend/boyfriend, for example. I repeat, TEENAGERS, not little children. But in a country like the USA, you never know.
Define "teenager".

Because in my mind, I don't have a problem with a 15-16 year old getting married.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,410,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
What is it specifically that you find repellent regarding children or teen marriage with adults of the same or even opposite sex? The issue of consent aside, which would be lowered and otherwise redefined for teenagers just as easily as redefining marriage, what is it specifically that you do not like regarding a woman marrying a teenage boy or a man marrying a teenage girl?
I have no issue outside of the fact that they cannot legally consent to enter a contract on their own.

Do I need more? The law says I don't.....

The age of consent has not been lowered, so any discussion of minor children or teens getting married is a non-starter.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,410,258 times
Quote:
It's not adult/child, its adult/TEEN. Interesting how gays/lesbians and their supporters feel intimidated that other so called orientations/preferences will fight for their so called rights and benefits too. Hey, you guys are all for change, so why all of a sudden feel threatened? You guys are all for redefining unions, redefining laws, etc. Why can’t other orientations/preferences redefine unions, laws, etc.?...
Are we talking 18 or 19 yr old "teens"? If they are under the age of consent, the *law* views them as children.

Until that changes, there is nothing more to discuss.

The point is really this:

How do you logically prevent one subset of people, homosexuals, from entering into one specific legal contract, marriage, when they are free to enter into any and all other legal contracts?

Get the churches out of our laws. I think there's even something about that in the Constitution...

Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,286,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
If the "teenager" is of the age of consent, then who cares if they somehow fall in love with (and want to marry) a 40-year old?

If the "teenager" is not of the age of consent, then the relationship shouldn't happen.

The ability to give consent to sign a legal (and binding) contract is the only factor that should be considered in the legal contract called marriage.
That’s right. So if teenagers and their 45 year old lover want to REDEFINE the age of consent, union, etc. Then why not? Go for it. The USA is a free country after all. Gays/lesbians are permitted to do it so why not every other orientation/preference as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Define "teenager".

Because in my mind, I don't have a problem with a 15-16 year old getting married.
ThirTEEN and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have no issue outside of the fact that they cannot legally consent to enter a contract on their own.

Do I need more? The law says I don't.....
The law said gays/lesbians couldn’t get married and now look how far they have gotten? So let teenagers, children, etc. march for their rights and redefine whatever they want just like gays/lesbians already did.

Quote:
Get the churches out of our laws. I think there's even something about that in the Constitution...
Get gays/lesbians out of churches and religious organizations too. Why try to redefine that as well? Remember the links I posted about gays/lesbians suing bible publishers, churches, etc.? What do you think of those gays/lesbians who sue?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,480,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Cosmic Log - Just say no ... to robot marriage?

I think this means they're losing the battle.
I'm cool with robot marriage, as long as a men don't marry male robots...that would be gross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc

Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,286,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm cool with robot marriage, as long as a men don't marry male robots...that would be gross.
LOL It would be a X2 against nature I suppose .

Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,225,583 times
Quote:
Children are pushed to accept taking classes that promote homosexuality. Sure, they took religion out of schools but now they force feed homosexuality to children? Why not keep both out of schools? Teach in school about sexual preferences/orientations but not tell them it is fine, it should be supported, etc. Teach them about religion too and let them choose. Fair for both sides.
Actually I will do one better. Get the government out of schooling and let people send their kids to the school of their choice.

Quote:
Nope, go look it up in your bible. Read it again and tell me what you think about a man getting together with a woman to form a family, not two men or two women and then talks about how they become one flesh (sexual union). What part of that sounds unclear? Plus all other verses that talk about how it is sinful. Other religions also view it like that. No wonder homosexuals hate religions.
Jesus was talking to his audience; they were not gay men so he targeted his talk. No condemnation was given. Plus we are not talking about religious unions, but ceremonies either permitted or as what I want certified. Religion has no bearing on the issue. Most verses mistranslate or don't take context and history into account making it easy for them to condemn people.

I think some gays hate religious people, not religion.

Quote:
Have you tried Satanism? They support gays/lesbians and other preferences/orientations. Or are gays/lesbians trying to redefine religions as well?
God supports all people; he does not hate any group. People don't support gays by misusing the word of God. It is hard for someone to try a religion when you have been saved by God because of the death of Christ before time. Nice try though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies