Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

First there is no two year waiting list anywhere in Canada. The only waiting lists there are, are for elective procedures. Everything life threatening is done immediately.

On a personal note...I had a heart attack about five years ago. It was caused by a blood clot and happened at 5:30 pm...Four medics arrived at my home within 5 minutes, and I had a stent installed and was feeling fine by 7:00 pm.

Surgical Wait Times

Secondly doctors do not work for the government, and most run their own practices and their incomes are comparable to their counterparts in the US.
In Canada 95% of hospitals are non profit and people are never turned away. We also do have a lot of clinics that take care of minor emergencies.

If you have other questions this site will answer most of them.

MSP - B.C. Residents' Frequently Asked Questions
You would have gotten the stent just as quickly in the U.S.

I got an MRI the same day I wanted one. Can you do that in Canada? Nope.

My patients routinely schedule their 'elective' cholecystectomies within a week...can you do that in Canada? Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Approximately 83% of the US population have health insurance of some kind. Some 31% of the population are covered by some form of government health insurance (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, etc.).

Of course, some insurance covers more than other insurance.
Thats what I'm wondering, aren't people who are on welfare get some form of medicaid?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Why UHC isnt a right?

It is a right in Europe, Canada, and OZ. Even in some developing countries.
If you have a right to health care than I have a right to know how you spend the money you earn.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You read this, from the president of the CMA?

Canadian Health Care System

Canada's Health Care System is a Model -- For Those Who Like Long Lines

Taxes in Canada are very high to pay for this "jewel" of a system.
Not exactly.

From your link:
Quote:
Most of the media reports about Canadian Health Care have a huge Republican spin. They usually attack Canada, saying that the system is failing, etc. This is not true at all. The Canadian system is fine and well, and most Canadians absolutely love it. If we didn’t we would change it. Any time you doubt that, just look at The Globe and Mail, Canada’s national newspaper. You can see the comments that Canadians leave, and they vote on the comments, so you can see an informal poll on the subject.
Basically, as Canadians we feel that: Yes, it is true that our wait times are longer to see the doctor, but that is because everyone (100% of our citizens) are in the line. When everyone is in the line, surprise-surprise, the line is longer. That is the way we like it here: No matter what happens, if we get hit by a car the same day that we lose our job, and then we find out that our kid has lukemia, well, we don’t have to worry - we are covered. And when you go to the hospital in Canada, you are in a waiting room. A lawyer, a judge, and a McDonald’s fry chef are waiting. Who goes first? The person who arrived first. There is beauty in that.
Another fact - Canada pays only 10% of its GDP for health care. USA is paying 16%. In USA, less people are covered, and by almost every yard stick, Canadians are healthier, live longer, have better surgical outcomes and are happier than Americans are. We get all that by spending much less on health care.

As far as your second link, it is from the NCPA! An american right-wing organization which asks for donations!

Quote:
The National Center for Policy Analysis is a public policy research organization that develops and promotes private alternatives to government regulation and control.
http://www.ncpa.org/

Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Why do you not believe it is a basic right?
You don't have to believe. It is either a right or it is not. If it is, what grants it?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

My patients routinely schedule their 'elective' cholecystectomies within a week...can you do that in Canada? Nope.
Here, the eight states with the worst healthcare.

Quote:
4. Texas.
The only state with a larger uninsured population than New Mexico, a whopping 25.7 percent of Texans have no health insurance. Part of the reason for the high rates of uninsured people may be due to the fact that less than half of all Texas firms offer health insurance, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. (At the highest end of the spectrum, in Hawaii, nearly 90 percent of all firms offer health benefits.) Plus, Texas has only 96 doctors per 100,000 people.
8 Worst States for Healthcare

Quote:
Total time spent in ED
The Pulse Report collects data from patients regarding their total time (door-to-door) spent in the ED. According to the 2010 Pulse Report, which analyzes data from 2009, patients spent an average of 247 minutes, or four hours and seven minutes, in the ED. When compared with data in 2002, that’s an additional 31 minutes in the emergency department.
Pulse Reports for the Emergency Department | Press Ganey

http://www.pressganey.com/Documents/...9.pdf?viewFile

http://www.pressganey.com/Documents/...n.pdf?viewFile

Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Why would we want to repeat the terrible mistakes other countries have made - look around at the countries with UHC, see them imploding from the cost.

We have plenty of examples of UHC FAILURE around the world.
Right, and the failures of NOT having HC get buried

Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
I have something to say that might not seem germain to the thread but I think it's very relevant.
Firstly I would like to point out and I'm sure it's very evident to those who have read any of my posts. The right wing makes my blood boil with their lies their misrepresentations and their lack of concern for the very deep problems of the nation.

I was thinking about that famous song by Loretta Lynn, "A coal miners daughter".
Now, here we have a very clear picture of what America was like before many liberal reforms were inacted.

Here we have Loretta's dad working all night in the coal mine and hoeing corn all day. Obviously a hard working man who took his responsibilities to heart. So, what did he gain in a material way from all of his hard work? The song tells us that "in the summertime they didn't have shoes to wear." Can you imagine? His hard labour in a dangerous dirty place where you took your life into your hands just to walk through the gate did not pay the man enough to put shoes on his kids feet!!!

So what did the family do at night? They read the bible by the coal oil light. No electricity.
I wonder what this family did to meet any medical needs? I doubt there even was a Dr. within 20 miles of Butchers Hollow.

This was not the exception for the American working man and I'd like to add something here that doesn't get said at least I've never heard it said. The greatness of America is built on the backs of people like Mr. Lynn. They are patriotic, always the first to answer the call of their country. Proud to be Americans and hard working good folks.

Does the conditions of their lives matter to the majority of the right wing? Well, just take a look at some historical facts. The republicans have never supported one single reform that would improve the lives of great Americans like this. They have opposed Minimum wages, so hard working Americans could "Buy shoes " for their kids. They have opposed saftey regulations in the workplace so that these workers could be safe from criminal safety conditions. They have opposed any kind of social security and pensions for the working man when his working days are done. They have been opposed to putting money into education so the kids of these folks have a chance to move up the social scale. They were opposed to civil rights and the equality of all Americans. In my mind this alone is such a black mark against them that I could never forgive them for it. They have been against every kind of regulations to keep the American people safe from dangerous goods, predatory practices, exploitation of almost any kind and the list just goes on and on and on.

Now today it's medical care. What ever it's form they do not want any reform period. It doesn't matter to them if millions don't have coverage. It doesn't matter to them if the present system is bankrupting the country. Just like they didn't care if Mr. lynn's hard work didn't pay enough to keep body and soul together.

So now a good question has to be asked. Why do any average Americans support these neandrathals when it's as plain as the nose on your face that they don't care one iota for anyone outside of their very narrow and restricted class? I'd have to say that anyone with half a brain should be able to clearly see the whys and wherefores of the tatics of the right wing. In my profession as a salesman we are very aware the people are over ten times more motivated by the fear of loss than they are by the desire for gain. The right is constantly crying "Ther sky is falling the sky is falling", and the very sad thing is that millions of people actually believe this complete garbage. Another tatic that just boils my blood is they appeal to Christian folks claiming an affinity and commonality of belief with them. Another load of complete and utter nonsence. I personally am a Christian and the way these people heap dung on the head of God almighty will earn them a special place in the lower regions of Hell. Just listen to Ann Coulter for one minute and you know that I'm correct in this charge.

Now we come to the last question. WHY, why do these people do what they do and say what they say. It just seems incredible. They spout hate constantly and the thing is, that among their hate the primary target is The "United States of America." They who claim to be the ultimate patriots actually proclaim their hatred for the reality of the country and love the country of their imagination. They hate the poor, they hate the minorities, they hate anyone who sees thing differently that they do, they hate foreigners that might want to decide their own destinies and this list just goes on and on.

Well, they do like something and everything they say or do is in support of this something. They are in love with their exalted position within the society. They love to be able to oppress anyone to support their unsustainable life styles. They love to be at the pinnacle of power, influence and control. They will do anything to maintain this position. and when I say anything I mean it. They will use military power to crush countries that threaten their position. Think Central America and Iraq. Think for a minute how they supported the monster Agusto Pinnochet and overthrew an elected government in Chile.

So there you have your answer about Health care reform. If there is nothing in it for the top 2% of Americans then the entire GOP who are those top 2%'s whores will oppose it to the death.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 PM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

So tell me then how is your health care better? How much do you pay for insurance and what was your cost for the MRI, because you wanted one?

You infer that you are a physician. How many people do you turn away because they are not insured and cannot afford your fees?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
You read this, from the president of the CMA?

Canada's Health Care System is a Model -- For Those Who Like Long Lines

Taxes in Canada are very high to pay for this "jewel" of a system.
You just make this crap up don't you....Your credibility is totally shot.

Myth: Taxes in Canada are extremely high, mostly because of national health care.

In actuality, taxes are nearly equal on both sides of the border. Overall, Canada's taxes are slightly higher than those in the U.S. However, Canadians are afforded many benefits for their tax dollars, even beyond health care (e.g., tax credits, family allowance, cheaper higher education), so the end result is a wash. At the end of the day, the average after-tax income of Canadian workers is equal to about 82 percent of their gross pay. In the U.S., that average is 81.9 percent.

Debunking Canadian health care myths - The Denver Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies