Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times

Advertisements

TnHT –I believethe apparent "fear and weakness" evident in this American culture is the result of decades of propaganda designed to keep our military involvement; including building the huge airbases that are the equivalents of the old Crusader Castles, in Muslim lands. The point of keeping Americans fearful is to keep them from thinking that they are being exploited by their fellow citizens and corporations. The reason for our attempt to maintain word wide control of potential petroleum producing lands is not to protect our access to the petroleum but to protect the international petroleum cartel’s control over the price of petroleum. In effect the United States is guaranteeing with our soldier’s lives and our treasure our international enemies profits.

This can be reversed if we stopped lying to our people about our perceived “weakness” against the terrorists of the world. It can also be reversed if we just stopped buying oil from our enemies by using less and producing what we really need from our own sources. The result would, for a while, be a less lavish lifestyle but we are a resilient people and would soon be living very well without our immeasurably costly addiction to petroleum. This would undoubtedly financially harm some of pour most wealthy families but they would still remain far wealthier than the rest of us so their losses are an acceptable price for removing us from the control of our petroleum “candy man”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,185,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What would we do in Iran to begin with? Send in troops and declare war to defy the government there? Just what would ANY OF YOU do?
Stand by and hope for the best. Even if only reforms are garnished, it is still one step closer, as most of the younger people in Iran seem to favor a more secular form of government. Whatever happens, we should wait to see what is left after the dust settles and deal with what is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well I would tend to agree that people are more interested in their families and getting bread on the table. I see weakness in the acceptance of so called choice e.g. we are going to innapropriately frisk you when boarding a plane if you elect not to be scanned....are Egyptians and the Army there more free? I don't think so after all they have the muslim religion dominating their thoughts ?

Many brave people in this country where I travel. And finally I would disagree with you on Iran not having the means. I think we make a mistake in underestimating them.
I agree with you on the whole civil liberties thing and I think Americans are taking too much on the chin.

However as to what is taking place in Iran, that is their damn business and until they settle matters as to where they want to go, then we should just stay out of it and keep our fingers crossed.

Lets say the US publicly and openly supports a more secular government during protests and the protesters are crushed and a more strict form of Islamic council emerges. They can then say to the Muslim world, "The US is once again trying to control our destiny and meddle in our right to free determination". This would only serve to bolster anti-American and anti-western sentiments.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,978,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Maybe Iran's future is better left in Iranian hands.

Keep in mind that much of the resentment towards the US is due to our interference with their government in the 50s.

Did I say that we ought to meddle in their affairs?

Didn't think so!

We have very little we could physically do anyhow.

I said that Obama should SUPPORT the protester's cries for Democracy unlike what he did before.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,081,683 times
I agree with you TN. People worldwide want freedom as they conceive it to be....it is the next unstoppable force in the world. Clinton was right about the internet. An exciting time to be sure.

On the other score when America turns it's attention inward there will be plenty of work to do.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
TnHT –I believethe apparent "fear and weakness" evident in this American culture is the result of decades of propaganda designed to keep our military involvement; including building the huge airbases that are the equivalents of the old Crusader Castles, in Muslim lands. The point of keeping Americans fearful is to keep them from thinking that they are being exploited by their fellow citizens and corporations. The reason for our attempt to maintain word wide control of potential petroleum producing lands is not to protect our access to the petroleum but to protect the international petroleum cartel’s control over the price of petroleum. In effect the United States is guaranteeing with our soldier’s lives and our treasure our international enemies profits.

This can be reversed if we stopped lying to our people about our perceived “weakness†against the terrorists of the world. It can also be reversed if we just stopped buying oil from our enemies by using less and producing what we really need from our own sources. The result would, for a while, be a less lavish lifestyle but we are a resilient people and would soon be living very well without our immeasurably costly addiction to petroleum. This would undoubtedly financially harm some of pour most wealthy families but they would still remain far wealthier than the rest of us so their losses are an acceptable price for removing us from the control of our petroleum “candy manâ€.

What gets me Greg, is that the right argues from this position that these things are needed for our security and safety, yet a culture of fear breeds obedience through control. A fearful people turn to whomever is going to protect them and provide for their safety, in this case, the government. So while arguing over every domestic issue about how the government controls their life, big government this and that, they have no problems with big government protecting them from bad guys half the world away who aren't even a real credible threat to Americans in America. Everything is predicated upon a series of "what if this, and what if that, and they could this if they do that" but the reality on the ground is Iran is falling apart and has been on the verge for several years and there isn't a single Muslim nation capable of harming us. Terrorist maybe, but terrorist aren't Muslim states and no matter what they say, they simply do not have the ability to do anything more than talk and spew nonsense. I'm not afraid of tough words from bullies and bone heads.

As to those on the left, well where in the hell are they concerning US foreign policy of the Obama administration and its promulgation of all this fear based nonsense?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I agree with you TN. People worldwide want freedom as they conceive it to be....it is the next unstoppable force in the world. Clinton was right about the internet. An exciting time to be sure.

On the other score when America turns it's attention inward there will be plenty of work to do.
Absolutely! I hope Americans take note of what is taking place in the Middle East and start protesting governments desire to micro manage so many aspects of our lives. The more we do for ourselves, the less we need the government to do for us, which means we must put in the effort. Government certainly has its place and is necessary for many things, but like anything it can be taken way too far.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Did I say that we ought to meddle in their affairs?

Didn't think so!

We have very little we could physically do anyhow.

I said that Obama should SUPPORT the protester's cries for Democracy unlike what he did before.
So what happens if we make empty threats that we're not willing to back up with force? What if the protesters lose and now we have a crazy man in Iran who wants to go after us when the dust settles. That's the problem. No one with any sense thinks we should walk into Iran with bombs--the entire middle east would blow up. Just what would we accomplish by making threats to begin with? Do we want to throw gasoline on that fire? Sometimes you just have to watch and wait for opportunities. We had an opportunity for diplomatic action in Egypt and we grabbed it.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,081,683 times
The Nazis always offered a rational choice e.g. do you want to live in the ghetto without food or wear the yellow star? do you want to get into the train and be safe or stay in the ghetto and be unsafe.....chilling in it's effectiveness.

Fascism is unrelated to politics. it has a goal of it's own regardless of politics.
the fact that America is under it's thumb now is not suprising.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,443,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So what happens if we make empty threats that we're not willing to back up with force? What if the protesters lose and now we have a crazy man in Iran who wants to go after us when the dust settles. That's the problem. No one with any sense thinks we should walk into Iran with bombs--the entire middle east would blow up. Just what would we accomplish by making threats to begin with? Do we want to throw gasoline on that fire? Sometimes you just have to watch and wait for opportunities. We had an opportunity for diplomatic action in Egypt and we grabbed it.
Holy cow dude, who talked about military action with bombs? Relax and get that script filled.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Holy cow dude, who talked about military action with bombs? Relax and get that script filled.
I'm a dudette

Here's my point--if you put yourself in the middle of another countries affairs, you'd better be able to deliver on what you preach. If we publicly denounced their elections, what would that accomplish if we aren't willing to intervene? Intervention would have been insane. I think lots of you saber rattlers don't get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies