Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Those workers have been very well rewarded for years, many times too well rewarded which is part of the reason GM was failing in the first place. Call me old fashioned but if you need to borrow money from the gov. to stay in business nobody working at that company deserves a reward.
Agreed. I won't call you old fashioned since Dude claimed that name for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
IMPOSSIBLE. The old GM shares were cancelled and a new IPO was issued for the new GM shares. You could NOT still own GM.
I don't understand. How can you cancel shares and still be in business? Must be some sort of new accounting rules. I'm sure they'll give me my money back. I have legitimate shared from almost 10 years ago. I'll be fine.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It ain't a check my friend.
No. It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby
The value contstantly changes.
Yes. It does.

Quote:
One minute makes the actual current profit change.
There you go! Points for you. "The actual current profit."

Quote:
You should really stay out of the stock market and this conversation too.
Too late for both.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I don't understand. How can you cancel shares and still be in business? Must be some sort of new accounting rules. I'm sure they'll give me my money back. I have legitimate shared from almost 10 years ago. I'll be fine.
The IPO for the new GM was closed to a select group of investors. I tried to purchase shares in the old GM back when this all went down. The markets shut down trading because people thought they were buy the NEW shares and not the old worthless shares. I lost over $2000 on people pumping the worthless shares.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6AB43H20101117

Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope, I am right sorry.
And how long has it been since you were complaining about President Obama capping bonuses? Or, do you complain about asking for a cap if those involved are Wall Streeters and you complain about letting workers get bonuses since they are... workers.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Darn it. We're not communists after all.

Who knew?
Outside the White House we may not be Communists but that crowd there are very near that even with Van Jones out of there.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
OK, let's make sure we're on the same page here, because it appears that some posters on this thread don't understand what the GM bailout was about and don't understand some basic accounting principles.

There were two parts to the GM bailout - roughly $7 billion in the form of a loan out of TARP funds, and roughly $43 billion that was used to purchase equity in the corporation in bankruptcy. That $43 billion is not a loan. It's an investment, even though it had the effect of providing GM with much needed capital.

GM has paid back the loan they took from the government, but they have not bought back the equity the government put in. The government could theoretically sell those shares to another private entity for cash (though they probably will not, and I don't know about any particular rules applied to the stock series the government got). If GM bought back the stock, they would have to pay the government the market value of the stock on the day they buy them back.

The shares the government owns in GM are worth more today then they were when the government bought them. That means they currently have a profit. They might not have a profit if and when they sell their shares. The government can only realize a gain or loss on the day they sell their equity interest. GM does not currently have an outstanding debt to the government. They do not owe the government anything until they decide to buy back the shares of GM stock the government owns.

Just making sure we're on the same page at this point, because some don't seem to be able to understand all this here.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
In bankruptcy, equity is on the lowest rung of the ladder for absolute priority. Equity holders cannot be paid anything until secured and unsecured creditors get repaid on their debts in full. What that means is that a lot of the time in corporate bankruptcy the bondholders get wiped out.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Surely you realize what was meant by that statement about them having to pay income taxes. chielgirl sounded like she didn't think it was fair for them to have to pay income taxes on their bonuses. Hell, their jobs were saved by the government. Their union was given all that control of the company and the bondholders were screwed, all by the government and then the government appointed the head men to run the company for the government.
Why would a company contoled as you say by the UAW give so many bonuses to the salary employees?

Until taxpayers are paid back, no none should get a bonus.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And how long has it been since you were complaining about President Obama capping bonuses? Or, do you complain about asking for a cap if those involved are Wall Streeters and you complain about letting workers get bonuses since they are... workers.
Workers? I wonder if each and every one is a UAW member and if it wasn't the UAW that Obama was really working for in the beginning of all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies