Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The trouble with privatizing prisons is that corporations simply look for the cheapest way to meet their standards as is humanly possible.

They emotionally remove themselves from business decisions. This is good for corporations. But when you couple that with things like prisons that really need a human touch, and the need for better rehabilitation, well then thats not a good marriage of ideals.

Florida's prison system is the third fullest in America because of the illegal drug trade. You get caught with an ounce of MJ here, you are going to prison. Thats nuts
Simple solution for Fla, if you are caught with drugs, no prison, one way bus ticket to Phoenix. Problem solved. I believe Arizona intends on being the penal colony of the US, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
The trouble with privatizing prisons is that corporations simply look for the cheapest way to meet their standards as is humanly possible.

They emotionally remove themselves from business decisions. This is good for corporations. But when you couple that with things like prisons that really need a human touch, and the need for better rehabilitation, well then thats not a good marriage of ideals.

Florida's prison system is the third fullest in America because of the illegal drug trade. You get caught with an ounce of MJ here, you are going to prison. Thats nuts
Just what convicted cutthroats deserve -the human touch.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:

We could open up some cells if we got "Old Sparky' working on our death row inmates.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I hope Gov. Scott achieves his goals of maximizing privatization of public services because the rest of the country will be able to observe the results without suffering the consequences. I expect fewer services will be provided at increased cost to the taxpayers. I also expect Mr. Scott will accept a lucrative position with one of the companies after Mr. Scott retires from the Governorship.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I hope Gov. Scott achieves his goals of maximizing privatization of public services because the rest of the country will be able to observe the results without suffering the consequences. I expect fewer services will be provided at increased cost to the taxpayers. I also expect Mr. Scott will accept a lucrative position with one of the companies after Mr. Scott retires from the Governorship.
Actually, he will just return to his own, much more profitable, Company. Not sure he's has ever left it.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
The savings is that we don't have to pay the pensions later .
Actually you still have those obligations, just not to new employees. It is not like Florida couldn't have gotten rid of pensions for new workers without large scale privitization.

The problem with privitization is that it is really just private contractors being paid with your tax dollars by the government.

If you think that this is such a great idea look no further than Iraq.

Congress eyes lost billions sent to Iraq / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Contractor Fraud Unchecked In Iraq - CBS News

The problem is that in the regular world the customer is the person who utilizes the company's services.

In the world of government contractors the customer is actually the government, since they are the people paying the contract.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Simple solution for Fla, if you are caught with drugs, no prison, one way bus ticket to Phoenix. Problem solved. I believe Arizona intends on being the penal colony of the US, don't they?
Thats ok, I'd rather not spend my Florida tax dollars funding Arizona's desert prisons. Of course, I've emailed Gov. Scott numerous times now, expressing my views on many things, and they have quit answering back. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Just what convicted cutthroats deserve -the human touch.
So you'd rather lock people up for life? Its cheaper to give them some job training, rehabilitate them from the usual abuse they suffered when they were younger.

Otherwise, they will likely recommit a crime, and then go back into jail, where we spend 30,000 dollars per person, per year for their term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
We could open up some cells if we got "Old Sparky' working on our death row inmates.
There is one choice, kill non violent offenders.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You guys want more government control because that's so dang efficient and cheap? When a company has to make a profit to stay in operation they tend to do things more efficiently. It's common sense...but that's something I don't expect a lib to understand.
The common sense that Benito Mussolini documented in "Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions":

"The corporate State considers that private enterprise in the sphere of production is the most effective and useful instrument in the interest of the nation."

Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The common sense that Benito Mussolini documented in "Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions":

"The corporate State considers that private enterprise in the sphere of production is the most effective and useful instrument in the interest of the nation."

You must spread some reputation around........

Great post.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I also expect Mr. Scott will accept a lucrative position with one of the companies after Mr. Scott retires from the Governorship.
That's probably a sure bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies