Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Independent (non-Nazi) trade unions were banned in 1933, replaced by the Deutsche Arbeitsfront (German Labor Front) trade union.

So, all trade unions weren't banned, just those that didn't follow the party line.
German Labor Front... cute name. And, a lot of people buy into names. Now, trade unions stood for something, for workers. Who did the Labor Front stand for?

Hint: Not workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default I support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you support the idea of an agency that overseas whether or not owners are bad and unions are necessary (or not)? Or, do you think Adam Smith had a valid point when he wrote:

"What are the common wages of labor depends everywhere upon the contract usually made between those two parties (workmen - and masters), whose interests are by no means the same. The workmen desire to get as much, the masters to give as little as possible. The former are as disposed to combine in order to raise, the latter in order to lower the wages of labor."
:
"We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters, though frequently of those of workmen. But whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject. Masters are always and everywhere in a sort of tacit, but constant and uniform combination, not to raise the wages of labor above their actual rate."
I support the proper pay for a job. Bottom line, if you are unable to hire someone for the amount you are offering, to perform a task within certain criteria, then you increase the amount you are willing to pay, until someone who meets that criteria is willing to work for it. Therein lies the basis of pay. I work for a good sized company. I make excellent wages, great benefits, and more. I recieve monthly compensation outside of pay and benefits worth over 200 a month, have a pension plan, a 401K with company match, excellent working conditions, superior managers and co workers. In fact I am not only very satisfied with my pay and benefits, everyone I work with feels the same. BTW, we have no union. In fact I actually believe a union would do nothing but mess things up.

Now, lets look at the bad side of unions. Again, my Wife went to work for Caldors, in groton ct. She was told she had to PAY union dues to work there. It was a closed shop. People had no choice. join the union, and PAY to work there, or find another job.

That's Bull Manure. the very idea that you have to pay up to ¼ of you part time pay check just for the priv to work somewhere is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of. And ANY organization that supports that desrves anything that happens as far as i am concerned.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Workers:

Quote:
Wages were set by the 12 DAF trustees. The employees were given relatively high set wages, security of work, dismissal was increasingly made difficult, social security programmes were started by the Arbeitsfront, leisure programmes were started, canteens, pauses and regular working times were established, and therefore generally the German workers were satisfied by what the DAF gave them in repaying for their absolute loyalty.
German Labour Front - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EinsteinsGhost - so you think the Marxist trade unions were better?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
I support the proper pay for a job. Bottom line, if you are unable to hire someone for the amount you are offering, to perform a task within certain criteria, then you increase the amount you are willing to pay, until someone who meets that criteria is willing to work for it. Therein lies the basis of pay.

Very naive way of seeing things!!!... in Detroit most of the major hospital chains conspired with each other to underpay Registered Nurses and artificially create a shortage of R.N.'s so that they would have to work more for less. It wasen't about what they truely were worth to the labor market of the hospitals they worked for. It was about how does management make more money for themselves and stockholders at the expense of workers.

Six metro Detroit hospital systems have been sued for allegedly conspiring to suppress registered nurse wages and contributing to nursing shortages.

The lawsuit, filed in Detroit's U.S. District Court, seeks an estimated $340 million for 16,800 registered nurses working full-time since 2002 at the six hospitals, the Detroit Free Press said.

Named in the lawsuit are the Henry Ford Health System and the Detroit Medical Center, both in Detroit; McLaren Health Care in Flint and Mount Clemens; Oakwood Healthcare of Dearborn; Bon Secours/Cottage Health Services in Grosse Pointe and St. John Health Partners in Warren.

These hospitals have been putting their bottom line ahead of patients and the nurses who care for them. For years, these hospitals have deliberately, secretly and systematically exchanged detailed, non-public, current information about the wages each is paying its nurses. The purpose and effect of this information exchange has been to permit the hospitals to suppress nurse wages – depriving nurses of a fair wage and contributing to the nursing shortage in our nation.

Cohen Milstein

Happens more than you might think.

Last edited by reconmark; 02-15-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 03:11 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look at the responses from the conservative anti-union crowd in here. These people are actually CHEERLEADING the sight of their fellow Americans holding pink slips and standing in unemployment lines. That's what this country has come to....working class people actually wanting to see fellow working class people lose their jobs. Why? Because God forbid that someone else gets a better deal than what they get at their job.

Name another country in the world where working class people behave this way. Sorry, but the robber barons have successfully pitted the proletariat against each other, and of course, it's been COMPLETELY to the robber barons benefit!

Lemme just ask, what do you get personally from seeing a union guy lose his job, home, car, source of tuition for his kid, etc? What's in it for you?

All i can say is that these attitudes are astounding to say the least. These posters (who i won't name) are the lowest of the low. Unpatriotic, un-American, anti-worker, anti-everything that is good for America, etc, etc. They won't be happy until all of us work for Walmart, Home Depot, or K-Mart. That's their vision of America. SMH...sad.
Yep, Bad Unions!!!!!

Nine Pictures Of The Extreme Income/Wealth Gap | OurFuture.org

Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Workers:

German Labour Front - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EinsteinsGhost - so you think the Marxist trade unions were better?
Perhaps you should first tell us the difference between Marxist Trade Unions (that Nazis hated) and this German Labour Front they put in place. Then I will definitely pick (and explain) which worked better for the workers, and which did for the owners and other corporate interests.

It will also help greatly if you could share your thought on which of the two do you think UAW, for example, resembles the most. I will look forward to it.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I support the proper pay for a job. Bottom line, if you are unable to hire someone for the amount you are offering, to perform a task within certain criteria, then you increase the amount you are willing to pay, until someone who meets that criteria is willing to work for it. Therein lies the basis of pay. I work for a good sized company. I make excellent wages, great benefits, and more. I recieve monthly compensation outside of pay and benefits worth over 200 a month, have a pension plan, a 401K with company match, excellent working conditions, superior managers and co workers. In fact I am not only very satisfied with my pay and benefits, everyone I work with feels the same. BTW, we have no union. In fact I actually believe a union would do nothing but mess things up.

Now, lets look at the bad side of unions. Again, my Wife went to work for Caldors, in groton ct. She was told she had to PAY union dues to work there. It was a closed shop. People had no choice. join the union, and PAY to work there, or find another job.

That's Bull Manure. the very idea that you have to pay up to ¼ of you part time pay check just for the priv to work somewhere is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of. And ANY organization that supports that desrves anything that happens as far as i am concerned.
Are you disagreeing with what Adam Smith had to say about the need for a balance between workers and owners? Or, do you agree with him? Please highlight agreement or disagreement as the case may be so I can understand your point.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Funniest Union issue/resolution I ever saw.

While stationed in groton ct, used to go to a little mom and pop grocery store. Not a big place, nice veggies/fruits/meats.

At one point, the people in the meat dept banded up and joining the meatpackers union or something like that.. Then they went on strike demanding higher wages.

A week later, they owners sold out to a larger chain, who promptly hired only the workers not on strike. No one else was kept.

LOL LOL LOL
Yeah that's hilarious man!!!! The feudal serf chattle want liveable wages for the constant rise of cost of living.

Read how f****ing FUNNY this is:
Nine Pictures Of The Extreme Income/Wealth Gap | OurFuture.org

ROFLMAO!!!!! LOL!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Yeah dude this is hilarious.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-20-2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You, once again, have exhibited levels of delusion not often seen these days.

Tariffs don't hurt companies. They pass it on, with a markup!!!! And when you put a tariff on goods coming into the US from other countries, the outher countries put retaliatory tariffs you your products going to them, and next thing you know, bammo depression. Look up history of Smoot, Hawley tariff and the devestation to the economy it caused.

Unions are a thing of the past - period. A dino whose time has come and gone.

Get over it and stop try to fine everyone.
Nonsense. Tariffs don't hurt companies....plenty of American industries PRAY for tariffs. Our products get tariffed all the time, so why should other nations be allowed to dump here just so you can buy your cheap Chinese made trinkets. If the competitors tariff get's passed on to you and me, GOOD!!! It should be passed on.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Garbage and lies. Garbage and lies. Garbage and lies. It never changes with you people.

You don't even bother to read the links you provide for comprehension! Right there in the very link, right in the OP, Goodyear gives the precise reason this plant is closing. Here, I'll highlight it for you. . .
". . . the market has moved beyond what the factory is able to build."

Let me repeat that. . .

". . . the market has moved beyond what the factory is able to build."

So there has been a market shift and this factory isn't able to build what the market demands.

Not only is this plant closing explicitly NOT the fault of the unions, but had the union been STRONGER it would have included a stipulation in its last contract that this plant could not be shut down by ownership, but would have to be re-tooled to keep up with market shifts and demands!

Disingenuous garbage and lies, exposed right there in the link.
Since when do "employees" have a right to tell a business OWNER what they can and cannot do with their own business. The only problem I see with Unions is that the business owners are so stupid as to agree to ridiculous demands. Unions have long out lived their usefulness and are now detrimental to the economic wellness of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies