Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
U.S. Constitution - Amendment 4 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

That pretty well covers it. Yes, no doubt the Patriot Act has helped keep us safe. However, is safety worth sacrificing freedom? I suspect this is a question which each of us answers based on our ideology and values system. YMMV
I know what you are saying but I am not convinced that it has kept us any more safe from terrorism than good old-fashioned police work would have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
LOL....I love the hyperbole when people talk about all the many freedoms the Patriot Act took away from them.

Can you list them all here for us please?.....
I suppose you are of the mind that if you aren't doing anything wrong there is nothing to hide?

Good luck with that, but remember plenty of others through history who thought the same; now we go to gloomy museums to be shocked by the horror and inhumanity they suffered; always collectively whispering "never again" but still always managing to fall in the same trap...eventually.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Look, everybody...

The only thing worthy of being called a WMD is a nuke..

I remember the democrats and pro ban the guns people calling "assault rifles" and hi cap magazines weapons of mass destruction. lol.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Uh, we've already experienced an attack using "WMD." Doesn't everyone remember the anthrax attack shortly after 9/11?
Yep and the attack in Japans subway that is just as likely here in the future.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I know what you are saying but I am not convinced that it has kept us any more safe from terrorism than good old-fashioned police work would have done.
I suspect that it has. However, the over-reaching possibility for abuse and the failure of Congress and of the federal law enfocement agencies to coordinate communications in such a manner in the 10 years following 9/11 is proof that the expiration is what is needed to get them off their backsides.

Terrorist only have to succeed once. There have been terrorist attacks on US soil since 9/11 and most of those have either been a result of an intervention thwarting the real danger, faulty execution on the part of the terrorist, or the ignoring of obvious signs (example: Ft. Hood).

So, rather than debating the if/when perhaps the better question for posters to ask of themselves is how have they prepared and do they have a plan ready to put into action if it were to happen yet today, tommorrow, next week..... .

Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
LOL....I love the hyperbole when people talk about all the many freedoms the Patriot Act took away from them.

Can you list them all here for us please?.....
The thing each of us should worry about is not making an enemy of someone who knows people in the surveillance area of the government.

Also, make sure you don't run for office or do anything that may cause your private documents (internet searches, movie rentals, private pics of you and the Mrs.?, etc) to show up against you.

Sure, here is the list.

Records searches. It expands the government's ability to look at records on an individual's activity being held by third parties. (Section 215)

Secret searches. It expands the government's ability to search private property without notice to the owner. (Section 213)

Intelligence searches. It expands a narrow exception to the Fourth Amendment that had been created for the collection of foreign intelligence information (Section 218).

"Trap and trace" searches. It expands another Fourth Amendment exception for spying that collects "addressing" information about the origin and destination of communications, as opposed to the content (Section 214).

The government no longer has to show evidence that the subjects of search orders are an "agent of a foreign power," a requirement that previously protected Americans against abuse of this authority.

The FBI does not even have to show a reasonable suspicion that the records are related to criminal activity, much less the requirement for "probable cause" that is listed in the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution. All the government needs to do is make the broad assertion that the request is related to an ongoing terrorism or foreign intelligence investigation.

Judicial oversight of these new powers is essentially non-existent. The government must only certify to a judge - with no need for evidence or proof - that such a search meets the statute's broad criteria, and the judge does not even have the authority to reject the application.
Surveillance orders can be based in part on a person's First Amendment activities, such as the books they read, the Web sites they visit, or a letter to the editor they have written.

A person or organization forced to turn over records is prohibited from disclosing the search to anyone. As a result of this gag order, the subjects of surveillance never even find out that their personal records have been examined by the government. That undercuts an important check and balance on this power: the ability of individuals to challenge illegitimate searches.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
The probability that the U.S. will be hit with a weapons of mass destruction attack at some point is 100 percent, Dr. Vahid Majidi, the FBI’s assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Weapons of Mass Destruction Directorate, tells Newsmax.

Such an attack could be launched by foreign terrorists, lone wolves who are terrorists, or even by criminal elements, Majidi says. It would most likely employ chemical, biological, or radiological weapons rather than a nuclear device.

“While all of these guys are still interested in potentially using chemical, biological, or radiological weapons wherever it is possible, the pragmatic approach that they have taken is to use what has worked for them best, which is various forms of explosives and improvised explosives,” Majidi says.
“The latest round is concealing explosives coming through the commercial shipping environment,” Majidi notes. “That brings to the fore the fact that explosives are something that we’re not going to get away from any time soon. It’s the modality that is most often preferred by a pragmatic adversary.”

Given the sensitivity and complexity of the subject, Majidi says he tries to present all the issues in context: “One of my jobs is to make sure I put all of these things in an appropriate light, because if you were in my job you would see that everyone always tries to elevate things to a tremendous level.”

Of one thing Majidi is sure: “There’s a probability of 100 percent that a WMD event will happen.”

FBI: 100 Percent Chance of WMD Attack
Yep and just keep those borders porous. We don't need a billion $$ FBI, I coulda told you that. The real questions is......are they ...or CAN they ...do anything about it. .. for your $64,000 question.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
The probability that the U.S. will be hit with a weapons of mass destruction attack at some point is 100 percent, Dr. Vahid Majidi, the FBI’s assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Weapons of Mass Destruction Directorate, tells Newsmax.

Such an attack could be launched by foreign terrorists, lone wolves who are terrorists, or even by criminal elements, Majidi says. It would most likely employ chemical, biological, or radiological weapons rather than a nuclear device.

“While all of these guys are still interested in potentially using chemical, biological, or radiological weapons wherever it is possible, the pragmatic approach that they have taken is to use what has worked for them best, which is various forms of explosives and improvised explosives,” Majidi says.
“The latest round is concealing explosives coming through the commercial shipping environment,” Majidi notes. “That brings to the fore the fact that explosives are something that we’re not going to get away from any time soon. It’s the modality that is most often preferred by a pragmatic adversary.”

Given the sensitivity and complexity of the subject, Majidi says he tries to present all the issues in context: “One of my jobs is to make sure I put all of these things in an appropriate light, because if you were in my job you would see that everyone always tries to elevate things to a tremendous level.”

Of one thing Majidi is sure: “There’s a probability of 100 percent that a WMD event will happen.”

FBI: 100 Percent Chance of WMD Attack
Yep and just keep those borders porous. We don't need a billion $$ FBI, TSA, etc etc I coulda told you that. The real questions is......are they ...or CAN they ...do anything about it?.... for your $64,000 question.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep and just keep those borders porous. We don't need a billion $$ FBI, TSA, etc etc I coulda told you that. The real questions is......are they ...or CAN they ...do anything about it?.... for your $64,000 question.
Putting political agenda (Amnesty) above the 4th Amendment rights of citizens (Patriot Act) in not securing our borders in the past 10 yrs. tells me that our government would rather control citizens than thwart future attacks. YMMV

Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I know, these guys make Beck seem sane.
Yeah they kinda make me miss old Kootr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies