Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Very sad indeed, and it makes me wonder how many Egyptian women are suffering a similar fate.
WHY just Egyptians?

This happens all over the world.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
WHY just Egyptians?

This happens all over the world.....

Yep, like in the good ole U.S of A. Anybody remember the teen in California gang raped at school while people stood by and did nothing?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathfromabove View Post
dude if you don't like america leave it
Keep your BS to yourself, or better yet take a hike if you cannot control yourself. Are You are denying that American women get sexually assaulted at a rate of 1 every 2 Minutes? Do some research or look ignorant here, oh wait, too late for that. Maybe you can do better next time.
Casper

Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I remember how deathly silent the Right was when Cheney's monstrous Haliburton pigs drugged Jamie Leigh Jones, and gang raped her so brutally that they ripped her anus and vagina, and tore her pectoral muscles away from her body, requiring multiple reconstructive surgeries. Then they held her captive in a boxcar surrounded by armed guards and denied her food and water.

Where were the outraged posts about the religion of the monsters who destroyed this woman's body and psyche? Where were the rightwingers calling Americans the vile things they're calling the Egyptians, or denigrating our culture the way they're denigrating theirs, when "culture" had flickall to do with either crime???

And in case you can't figure it out on your own (because I know most of you are too stupid to), the POINT of this little comparison is:

YOU CAN'T JUDGE AN ENTIRE COUNTRY OR ITS PEOPLE BY THE ACTS OF A HANDFUL OF A-HOLES WHO COMMIT A DISGUSTING CRIME!

If you didn't go after the KBR scumbags (who will never see the inside of a prison, btw) based on their country of citizenship or their religious beliefs, then it's hypocritical to do so here.

And guess what? You not only didn't go after the KBR cretins, we on the Left were told to "stow our faux outrage", that the story was only posted so we could attack Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, that the credibility of the story was "seriously questioned" (nevermind that one of the rapists confessed), and we needed to complain to George Soros.

Seems folks on the Right around here only give a damn about rape victims when their attackers are those dirty Ay-rabs.

Oh WAIT! You don't care about this victim, either! She shouldn't have been there in the first place (forget that she was doing her job). She should have known this was going to happen (again, because she went to a country with a bunch of brown people who are Muslims).

Some of you make me truly sick to my stomach.
Well Said!
I agree 100%.
Casper

Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I just saw this. Horrible. My heart goes out to her. It must have been absolutely terrifying.

I do wish that people would use more common sense though. I'm not blaming the victim - clearly the Middle Eastern Islamic barbarism and misogynism is to blame here. But we all have to protect ourselves and that means having common sense. Jewish journalists should not be going off to meet and interview Muslim terrorists (Daniel Pearl) and women should not be covering the news in Arab countries in revolt.
You are so right about this. It was horribly irresponsible of CBS to send a very young (and attractive) woman into a powder-keg situation. If I had to guess, this woman probably claimed that she was very capable of taking care of herself but an anggry mob is not something anyone can deal with. Obviously this could have happened anywhere but in a country trying to oust its leader the rule of mob over-rode any rational behavior. I blame CBS for this entirely.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
You are so right about this. It was horribly irresponsible of CBS to send a very young (and attractive) woman into a powder-keg situation. If I had to guess, this woman probably claimed that she was very capable of taking care of herself but an anggry mob is not something anyone can deal with. Obviously this could have happened anywhere but in a country trying to oust its leader the rule of mob over-rode any rational behavior. I blame CBS for this entirely.
And women shouldn't vote either because their little brains just can't understand politics....right?

Guess what...MALE journalists have been killed covering stories....even good looking ones....guess you feel they shouldn't have been there....right???

Oh, BTW, the protesters were acting rationally....

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
You are so right about this. It was horribly irresponsible of CBS to send a very young (and attractive) woman into a powder-keg situation.
But an old, ugly one would have been fine.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I don't understand why some people don't understand that to the average "joe" protesting in that square in Cairo the presence of a female reporter (young and pretty, did not matter) was against their cultural norms. In their culture, women are not supposed to be "seen" by men who are not known to her. To these men, this young woman standing in a square surrounded by a "sea" of strange men was like a prostitute or a woman to be "used" for their gratification. Also, these men do not have "casual access" to women like men in the west do and they generally view western women as "easy".

Knowing all of this, CBS never should have sent this woman reporter into harm's way.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I don't understand why some people don't understand that to the average "joe" protesting in that square in Cairo the presence of a female reporter (young and pretty, did not matter) was against their cultural norms. In their culture, women are not supposed to be "seen" by men who are not known to her. To these men, this young woman standing in a square surrounded by a "sea" of strange men was like a prostitute or a woman to be "used" for their gratification. Also, these men do not have "casual access" to women like men in the west do and they generally view western women as "easy".

Knowing all of this, CBS never should have sent this woman reporter into harm's way.

If you can't be bothered to read all the responses to your stance then I guess you will never learn anything.

Guess what...MALE journalists have been killed covering stories....even good looking ones....guess you feel they shouldn't have been there....right???

AMERICAN women get raped HERE in AMERICA....why is that so hard for you to understand???

Being an Egyptian protester does NOT automatically make you a rapist.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If you can't be bothered to read all the responses to your stance then I guess you will never learn anything.

AMERICAN women get raped HERE in AMERICA....why is that so hard for you to understand???

Being an Egyptian protester does NOT automatically make you a rapist.
That wasn't my point. I know that women are sexually assaulted everywhere, including the US.

But Americans have a tendency to expect American cultural norms to travel with them everywhere around the world like its some sort of invisible protector shield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies