Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
If she was not in fact raped, that would very actually diminish the horror of the attack. By a lot.

What was the attack, by the way? I've been asking this all this time: what exactly happened? Do you really suggest that what actually happened doesn't really matter for judging this?
I find the whole notion of trying to quantify sexual assault to be very distateful. I think it just adds to the belief some people have that some sexual assault isn't really so bad, or the woman has exaggerated, or it's just a miscommunication, or she never really said no. How do you quantify all those beliefs, apart from just saying they are neanderthal?

I don't need to know what happened, it's very private. If Ms. Logan shares that information in the future, then we'll know. There's not much that could diminish "a brutal and sustained sexual assault" that I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Great post, but have to spread the reps before you get another well deserved one.
Thank you. Sent a rep your way for the acknowledgment.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:30 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I find the whole notion of trying to quantify sexual assault to be very distateful. I think it just adds to the belief some people have that some sexual assault isn't really so bad, or the woman has exaggerated, or it's just a miscommunication, or she never really said no. How do you quantify all those beliefs, apart from just saying they are neanderthal?

I don't need to know what happened, it's very private. If Ms. Logan shares that information in the future, then we'll know. There's not much that could diminish "a brutal and sustained sexual assault" that I can think of.

For the most part, I agree with you without debate. The problem is that the term "sexual assault" has been streatched to cover many things that are not "assault". Including verbal abuse of a sexual nature. Given the description "a brutal and sustained sexual assault", I think it's reasonable to infer that this is not what happened here.

I hope the identities of the assailants are determined and that they are punished appropriately.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
GOOD! The scum pig deserved it. And some news sources reported Gabby Giffords was dead. NO! Only someone who's a voyeur would want to know the details of a sexual assault. Disgusting. Oh, I see. So if they all jammed their penises into her mouth (which isn't rape), that would be a diminished horror. If they all shoved objects into her anus and vagina (also not rape), that would be a diminished horror. If they grabbed her breasts and twisted them with enormous force, then peed on her, that would be a diminished horror. None. Of. Your. Business. And yes.
What on earth was all this outburst about? We don't need to know what happened to make a judgement on it? I never speculated on what actually happened. If she was beaten it's one thing, if she was raped it's another, if she was groped it's yet another. I just need to know it, before judging anything. I always do. You projected some really disturbing pictures though... where did those come from?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
First off, where does it say she was raped? Are you assuming? Or do you have your sources? "Sexual assault" is a very broad term.
True. Femanists have braodends the use of that term to better use it as a weapon to get concessions in the workplace as well as other areas. To them it is all about power. Sexual assault can include telling an off-color joke that someone doesn't like. Sad but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Horrible… CBS News’ Lara Logan Hospitalized; Was Sexually Assaulted & Beaten By Peaceful Egyptian Protesters | The Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/02/cbs-news-lara-logan-hospitalized-was-raped-beaten-in-egypt/ - broken link)

Among others.

What do you thing was done to her?
I think she was molested and groped, which is a legitimate use of the term sexual assault and should be condemed in the strongest terms. As I understand this, it happened in a crowd, not far from the reporter's camera crew and security detail (boy, those guys didn't earn their pay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
With all due respect, I think speculating as to the actual nature of her attack is inappropriate. It doesn't really matter what was done, it was abhorrent regardless.
I think it is appropriate to know exactly what we are talking about when we have this conversation. While it is possible that she was raped, the article does not say rape so you and other who jump to that conclusion are spreading false information.

In Islam, two male wittnesses (or 4 female wittnesses) are required to prove rape. Such a system certainly encourages mistreatment of women. It is no surprise she was treated the way she was.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Here it is:

Originally Posted by calipoppy
I don't understand why some people don't understand that to the average "joe" protesting in that square in Cairo the presence of a female reporter (young and pretty, did not matter) was against their cultural norms. In their culture, women are not supposed to be "seen" by men who are not known to her. To these men, this young woman standing in a square surrounded by a "sea" of strange men was like a prostitute or a woman to be "used" for their gratification. Also, these men do not have "casual access" to women like men in the west do and they generally view western women as "easy".

Knowing all of this, CBS never should have sent this woman reporter into harm's way.""""

CBS doesn't assign jobs based on gender and they shouldn't and would be breaking the law if they did....good for them for treating women with respect and no bias....

YOU ignore all the posts explaining why you are wrong in insisting that no women are raped in the US by insisting that woman was in the ""wrong""" place....an American woman in her own AMERICAN home can and has been raped...what don't you get about that FACT?

All Egyptians are NOT rapists as YOU insist by saying a woman shouldn't be there.

What can't you understand about the FACT that MALE journalists have been killed all over the world....WHY don't you want them kept in the U.S>??

WHY?

Sorry but my post was either misunderstood and/or misquoted by you because nowhere in any of my posts did I state (nor imply) that the American reporter "deserved" what happened to her.

I do believe however that she was needlessly placed in harm's way. I don't expect those who have not traveled to Arab nations to understand but women can not go about doing things "our way" just because we are Americans. Those that do will sometimes have some unfortunate things occur. It is important to respect the cultural rules of other nations and not attempt to flaunt our standards in their faces.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Now my turn to agree with your comment.

Many posters on this thread are stuck in their idealism. That is not reality. An intelligent person makes an accurate assessment of a situation before they make a decision whether to go forward or not. A western woman in that situation (or any woman at all) is just foolishness and recklessness. How could so many people be so detached from reality that they cannot see this? You can still dream of a world in which women are not molested at will by a mob, but have the critical thinking ability (or the sanity) to be able to distinguish between your dreams and your wake state.
Is it not the networks that are too idealist, foolish and reckless in their decisions, when having reporters (male or female) report too up close, in volatile situations.

Especially today, networks think these are little movies, except there is no edit button when covering wars and unrest. Journalism has become very dangerous, sometimes a deadly profession in many regions of the world.
I ask, do networks take enough forethought in that, over "the story".

There has been criticism that too much of the
recent coverage was of a small, concentrated
area of Egypt. In doing so, not representative of Egypt as a whole.
It doesn't give viewers a fair picture of the people of Egypt. Which in the end, is a shame.

When I was pretty young, in the early '80's, I
still remember one particular image of a story today.
They had this male reporter walking up to a military check point and he was asked to show his identification.
The soldier looked at his ID and then shot the reporter at point blank range right in the head. The male reporter fell to the ground immediately. This was shown on TV.
The following day the network had removed this film coverage from the story. I remember being so disturbed by the image I had trouble sleeping for days.

I often wonder, if at times, it would not be better
to watch things from afar, than up so close;
to get a better perspective of a situation, and for the
safety of all.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Simple sexual assault might be sexually explicite verbal abuse, groping as an isolated event. Obviously this attack was much, much more. Perhaps you find such attacks excusable on women? Have you ever been sexually assaulted/molested? If you are a woman you have a 33% chance of that happening in your lifetime.
I haven't said anything about simple or severe, I just said that the reports said she was not raped. I don't see why you would get upset about it.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I haven't said anything about simple or severe, I just said that the reports said she was not raped. I don't see why you would get upset about it.
Because quite a few posters on this thread (not you) have tried to minimize her assault by saying "at least she wasn't raped". As previous posters have pointed out sexual assault can be extremely savage and barbaric without being what is traditionally referred to as "rape".

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
So if they all jammed their penises into her mouth (which isn't rape), that would be a diminished horror. If they all shoved objects into her anus and vagina (also not rape), that would be a diminished horror. If they grabbed her breasts and twisted them with enormous force, then peed on her, that would be a diminished horror.
You have quite an imagination. We don't know what happened, but you insist it must be the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies