Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Try shopping for multiple items, then standing there while some idiot tries to match them up on a receipt, a time consuming task. I'm disabled, walk with a cane, by the time I'm finished shopping at Walmart I'm usually exhausted and just want to get out of there.

A checker in a particular WalMart really had it in for me. Every time I'd shop there, she'd literally body block me, demand my receipt, then painstakingly go through every item, all the while looking at me like some criminal. The obvious solution was to quit shopping there, but they had certain items I used on a regular basis at significantly lower price than any surrounding store. why should I be forced into going elsewhere and paying higher prices because of their policy?

The last straw was when they accused my then 2 year old son of stealing a pair of shoes! The shoes were in a little backpack thing, he was in the cart playing with them. He took the shoes out of the backpack. The checker grabbed the shoes from his hands, looked at me like I was some sort of trash, and demanded to know where the receipt was for the shoes? The receipt was for the backpack, it said something like 2-piece novelty item. I was confused at first, not knowing how it was listed, but hey, if she worked at Walmart she should at least know her own merchandise. It was late, I was tired, my back was hurting, I just wanted out of there. I'd just spent ~ $200, and stood there for almost 10 minutes while she kept going over and over my items. She proceeded to grab the shoes from my son for a "price check" I told her if she valued her hand it wouldn't come within a foot of my son, and if she had any sense, she would get out of my way. I just walked out, I know she couldn't follow me. I called Walmart and complained, followed up with a letter, no reply. What a $hitty way to treat a customer! We since moved, I have never gone back to a Walmart since, being treated like a criminal isn't my idea of good customer relations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I suspect it is in part regional. In Riverside CA where I used to live the Warlmart checked every receipt. Half the time the machine beeped anyway since the anti-theft devices they are supposed to disable when you buy the item were frequently bungled. The grocery stores there also did a check and had the screens. But there is a lot of theft there and I didn't mind. If I went in with a backpack, as I lived across the street, I had to leave it. The only time that turned into a problem was when someone thought it was a returned item and put it on the shelf and they had to go find it while I impatiently waited.

Go from a population of almost 300k to about 9k, here where I live now. The greeter smiles and waves and except for electronics (sitting there visible) they don't bother. Electronics they check, but these are the higher ticket items. Other than those I don't see anyone checking your basket as you leave here. Nor have I had a problem with buying 5 bags of stuff and coming home with 4 because I couldn't fine number 5. The checkers here always check and make sure.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
NO. I don't stop when they ask. I just say NO. I waited long enough in that damn line, I'm not going to wait again.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Stores like Best Buy and Wal-Mart have no right to make you stop to check a receipt. However, a private "club" like Sam's or CostCo almost certainly has it written into their membership agreements that they reserve the right.

I'm not going to read them to check, but if they do, then they can detain you to check.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
I don't mind it if checking receipts is quick and efficient. I had an issue at Costco about a year ago where the line to check the receipts was about 50 or 60 ft long. Quite a few customers just got tired of it and walked out. A Costco employee started an argument with me over it.

If it can't be done efficiently without inconveniencing customers the system needs to be improved.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Only place I've ever been where they check the receipt as you leave is Sam's Club. Never really thought about it because they've always done it - in every store I've ever been in. But then, back in December when I went there to purchase my new computer, they had to record every little detail about that computer and call a supervisor to sign off on it! The only 'explanation' I could get out of the woman was it was an 'employee theft prevention measure'. Huh? How in the hell does recording so much detail on MY purchase 'prevent employee theft'?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 PM

446 posts, read 649,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If I'm at a place that checks receipts like WalMart or Sams I always ask for a duplicate receipt at the register. I put the original in my wallet for return or warranty purposes and I hand the duplicate to the person checking at the door then just continue to walk on out the door while they follow me to the parking lot to give it back to me.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine, once I've paid you for the products that I purchased from you they're mine and asking for my receipt at the door as I exit is accusing me of stealing no matter how you word it. WalMart greeters won't do anything if you just walk past them, they're not allowed to. I've had them send a security guard into the parking lot to confront me but once I'm outside loading things into my car I make it very clear that they're no longer of any significance to me. I carry a concealed weapon and anyone who tries to assault me or unlawfully put me under arrest will get shot, period.
*shaking my head*

Anyway, to add a little more to this discussion. Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart's website to order a bike via that "Pick Up Today" thing. Later in the evening, I got on the bus and went there to pick up the bike, as well as get some groceries. On my way out, I voluntarily showed my receipt to the greeter for the bicycle. He looked at it for ten seconds to verify and I was on my merry way, to catch that number 451 bus back to where I came from.

My point is that, when it comes to big ticket items--like a bicycle--Wal-Mart (and any other big-box retailer for that matter) absolutely has a right to verify you have paid for whatever big item you're walking out the door with. Now, for small items like clothing or groceries it's dumb, don't get me wrong, but in the case of items exceeding $100 each, they are justified. It's a very simple process, and helps prevent loss through shoplifting.

I honestly don't know why people are in such a tizzy about this...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post

I honestly don't know why people are in such a tizzy about this...
Because they don't understand why the receipts are being checked.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
This has never happened to me, but what really irks me so badly, is when the stupid electronic devices, are going off like crazy, as someone is trying to leave the store. Always it seems it is the store's fault. Funny thing no one has ever bothered me for receipts, but usually right past me or in front of me, they always stop the people, i don't get it, i have not taken anything but i doubt the people in front of me have either, why stop them, Are they trained to know who to stop and who not too! I really really hate to be brutally honest, but usually it is people who look trashy, are black, or mexican, not my fault, this is what i have witnessed. And yes trashy white looking people. But always right past me and i can walk on bye.

Hey if it saves the stores money i don't balme them, do you know much it costs these stores in loss prevention, it is unbelievable the money they lose.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I would object to anyone searching my purse, I would not allow it unless a POLICE OFFICER said I had to surrender to such a search. If an employee blocked my way out of the store, to search my purse, I would call the police myself...I'm pretty sure they have to have a witness seeing you steal something to have a right to search your purse or person.

I don't have anything to hide but I do have a constitutional right to protection against unreasonable search and seizure, use your rights or loose them.

I have no problem showing my receipt, in fact I keep it in my hand as I am leaving the store and volunteer to show it before they ask. I know my Walmart only asks to see it when I don't volunteer and I have something on the bottom rack, under the cart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies