Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 PM

446 posts, read 649,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
No they don't have the absolute right to verify my receipt when I leave the store. If they think I shoplifted, then detain me under risk of being sued. Unless the store has a statement in their membership agreement that you agreed to show your receipt, they cannot stop you nor force the issue. Simply stopping you from leaving the store is forcible confinement.

Personally I NEVER show a receipt. The 4th amendment gives us the right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure - I will exercise that right until the day I die. For the request to be reasonable they would need probable grounds.
They ain't "stopping you from leaving the store", they are simply doing a check that: A. you have everything you paid for, and B. that you ain't a thief. Takes seconds, maybe a minute...it's not like they are handcuffing you or locking you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am in complete agreement. As you say, unless there is a clause in their membership agreement that I have agreed to beforehand, I have absolutely no intention of showing them anything. Those items in my cart became my property the instant I paid for them. If they try to physically stop me from leaving the store with my property, they had better have good medical coverage.
Lovely.

Oh, almost forgot: you ain't gotta be a member of a store to be subject to the rules of that store. When I go into the Fry's Electronics near my college to buy a video game, I know that the moment I set foot in that store, I am subject to their rules, including the receipt check at the end. Ain't gotta be no membership agreement for you to be subject to a simple rule. If you don't like receipt checks, don't shop at a store that does it. If you do, then you ain't got no right to be hostile to a receipt check, since it's part of the rules for shopping there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
They ain't "stopping you from leaving the store", they are simply doing a check that: A. you have everything you paid for, and B. that you ain't a thief. Takes seconds, maybe a minute...it's not like they are handcuffing you or locking you in.
Irrelevant. They are stopping me from leaving the store if they demand to see my receipt. How can they check the receipt if I don't stop? Whether it is 2 seconds or 2 minutes, I am still stopped from continuing on my way.

If they think I am a thief, then detain me and prove it - but be prepared to face a lawsuit.

I will never show a store clerk my receipt - EVER (I don't belong to membership stores). If they are adamant, I will walk right past - anything further on their part results in action on mine.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Irrelevant. They are stopping me from leaving the store if they demand to see my receipt. How can they check the receipt if I don't stop? Whether it is 2 seconds or 2 minutes, I am still stopped from continuing on my way.
And this is the kind of attitude that makes their jobs difficult.

its 2 freaking seconds. AT most a minute. If you're in such a rush to get somewhere, then PLAN freaking ahead so that you can get your shopping done in a timely manner.

I've never taken more than a few seconds with a receipt checker. Even those I just pass without checking, i say a nice thank you and goodbye

As stated if YOU don't like the stores that do it, then DONT freaking shop there.

They aren't going to miss your non-business and would probably be more the merrier without your condescending attitude.

Quote:
If they think I am a thief, then detain me and prove it - but be prepared to face a lawsuit.
You do know they can detain you if they believe you to be a thief and are covered so that they can't be sued, even if they don't find anything on you? (I've worked with Loss Prevention in a major retail chain, and we've detained kids and adults for suspicion of shoplifting, and let them go when we found that it wasn't them that did the shoplifting or they just happened to "get" rid of the product before we could catch them).

And as been stated in thsi thread, its not always about shopliting or stealing.

The checker checks for ALL issues:
Did you get all of your items?
Did they overcharge you?
Did you need help to your car?
Take your cart when you didn't need it anymore (you could easily grab all the bags on your way out).
and to catch would be thieves from leaving with items they didn't pay for.

Quote:
I will never show a store clerk my receipt - EVER (I don't belong to membership stores). If they are adamant, I will walk right past - anything further on their part results in action on mine.
AGain, if you don't like it, don't shop there. The store isn't going to miss you and I'm sure the workers would be glad not to have you shop there to make their lives miserable.

When you walk through that door, you are making an agreement to follow their RULES while on their property. If they check receipts at the door, then follow their policies and be on your way.

Idiots like you are the reasons why I wish stores would be nothing but membership only stores, and you'd be forced to only shop at convenience stores that charge 110% more than what you'd find at WalMart.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 AM

446 posts, read 649,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
When you walk through that door, you are making an agreement to follow their RULES while on their property. If they check receipts at the door, then follow their policies and be on your way.
Pretty much sums it up there.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

Idiots like you are the reasons why I wish stores would be nothing but membership only stores, and you'd be forced to only shop at convenience stores that charge 110% more than what you'd find at WalMart.
There rules cannot supersede the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. I can make a rule that if I shop at their store they have to give me a massage; doesn't mean they have to follow the rules.

Rules are not laws.

Why am I an idiot because I request other people honor the Constitution and honor my REAL rights, not something made up by a corporation? FYI I don't shop at WalMart; if I wanted cheap ass **** made in China, I will go to China. Until we start shopping and supporting stores that sell local products, then the economy will continue to lag.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Oh, almost forgot: you ain't gotta be a member of a store to be subject to the rules of that store. When I go into the Fry's Electronics near my college to buy a video game, I know that the moment I set foot in that store, I am subject to their rules, including the receipt check at the end. Ain't gotta be no membership agreement for you to be subject to a simple rule. If you don't like receipt checks, don't shop at a store that does it. If you do, then you ain't got no right to be hostile to a receipt check, since it's part of the rules for shopping there in the first place.
Absolutely false. They have no right to detain you in any way.

You do not have to subject yourself to a receipt check unless it's a membership club.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Absolutely false. They have no right to detain you in any way.

You do not have to subject yourself to a receipt check unless it's a membership club.
I would not waste my time trying to explain. Apparently there are some who relish being obsequious to others. Like Obama.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I show my receipt at the membership only discount store where I am a member. The requirement was pointed out before I joined. That is a contract between me and the store and I honor my part in a contract.

If I were asked to show a receipt at ANY store I was not associated with I would ask to not be detained or be directly accused of shoplifting. If the latter and no proof were provided I would find a greedy lawyer and sue for defamation.

I am in no way obligated to follow a set of rules outside or in addition to the law if I do not agree to do so. If some store tells me to present my ID and a receipt before I can leave I will not enter or I will enter conduct my business and just leave. Private rules outside of a contract do not apply. I am annoyed enough by the corporate control of our government and I will not tolerate corporate control of me or of any false accusation. I am their customer, not their slave.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
I've noticed that mroe and more stores are saving money by having you self-checkout. The grocery store where I live does it, Home Despot does it, and others. Do they think that customers are less likely to steal than their own checkout people are likely to make mistakes? Or, is it just hte cost savings they get from not empolying checkout people?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The latter. As if checkout clerks cost all that much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies