Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times

Advertisements

they aren't checking everything in your cart. they are just checking to see if you paid for the items, whether your receipt is long enough to match the amount in your cart, and if you had missed anything at the cashier, it gives them a few seconds to catch up to you to sya 'here, you forgot this"

Its just courtesy, making sure that you got your items, and if you have any concerns they are the last one as you leave to hear it.

seriously you're all making it sound as if your entire day has to be spent with these workers. 2 seconds ain't going to kill you. They are just doing their job. A crappy one, but hey, its a job at least. There are far better things to worry about in your shopping experience than one employee (or two) making sure you have everything you need.

and as stated, if you have only one bag, they usually ignore you anyway and wave or say goodbye on your way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
It's an insult and a violation of my rights. The store can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

As for the workers, all they have to do is ignore it. If they want to run into a parking lot chasing me, that's their decision.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
for freaks sake, you guys are over reacting They aren't stopping you, you could be walking as they check you.

and its FOR 2 freaking seconds. I've never spent any longer than that with a checker, even with a FULL cart of items that I've paid for

If it was a shoplifting case, the checker isn't the one that is going to stop you. Its three loss prevention people waiting outside as you exit the store.

You're not giving up any rights . You are on private property, and until you leave that property, you are subject to their rules, policies and the state law concerning private property rights. Act stupid they can boot your ##@# to the curb.
I Repeat...

There rules cannot supersede the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. Making me stop whether it is for 2 seconds or 2 hours is unreasonable search. I can make a rule that if I shop at their store they have to give me a massage; doesn't mean they have to follow the rules.

Rules are not laws.

If the stop is not for loss prevention, then it is even worse.

If you are so willing to give up this right, what's next? Letting police search without a warrant?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I usually say "Sign my hall pass" as I walk out. It's usually good for a chuckle. Honestly though...if you shop there often, why tick off the people that work there? They're just doing their job.

What annoys me is when I walk into Sam's Club the chick wants to see my card. I have to have the dang thing to pay...I don't understand why they make me get it out when I walk in.
My son was bitching about that the last time we went to Sam's. As he said, "what if you don't have a card? Are they going to refuse to let you in to even check the place out to see if you want to bother becoming a member?" I've never yet seen them turn anyone away at the door.
I only get to Sam's every few months for things like paper towels, toilet paper and coffee - the three things I haven't found at better prices elsewhere and that I buy in bulk.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
You're not giving up any rights . You are on private property, and until you leave that property, you are subject to their rules, policies and the state law concerning private property rights. Act stupid they can boot your ##@# to the curb.

Incorrect. You are not "subject to their rules".

Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I Repeat...

There rules cannot supersede the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. Making me stop whether it is for 2 seconds or 2 hours is unreasonable search. I can make a rule that if I shop at their store they have to give me a massage; doesn't mean they have to follow the rules.

Rules are not laws.

If the stop is not for loss prevention, then it is even worse.

If you are so willing to give up this right, what's next? Letting police search without a warrant?

Please stop quoting the 4th Amendment. It doesn't apply to Wal-Mart.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
they aren't checking everything in your cart. they are just checking to see if you paid for the items, whether your receipt is long enough to match the amount in your cart, and if you had missed anything at the cashier, it gives them a few seconds to catch up to you to sya 'here, you forgot this"

Its just courtesy, making sure that you got your items, and if you have any concerns they are the last one as you leave to hear it.

seriously you're all making it sound as if your entire day has to be spent with these workers. 2 seconds ain't going to kill you. They are just doing their job. A crappy one, but hey, its a job at least. There are far better things to worry about in your shopping experience than one employee (or two) making sure you have everything you need.

and as stated, if you have only one bag, they usually ignore you anyway and wave or say goodbye on your way out.
I don't see the point of stopping me to check my receipt if they are not going to take the time to cross check EVERY item in my cart. How are they going to know if I left an item at the cashier station unless they check EVERY item? If I paid, unless they check EVERY item?

In fact, if they ever stop me, perhaps I should DEMAND that they check every... single... item... in my cart. All 94 of them, one at a time.

Sounds like they just pick people out at random to hold them up as an example. "We are WATCHING you."

Sounds like a sure fired way to embarrass and humiliate innocent customers.

In this day and age, don't we all know cameras are watching everywhere? They need to publically embarrass innocent customers to prove their point?

Sounds like a good way to alienate and lose good, honest customers, IMHO.

I would be offended and ask to see a manager......and he better aplogize.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Does not bother me but I do prefer less intrusive ways of checking for theft. I imagine it keeps costs down. As long we have still have freedom of choice where to shop, I don't mind.

when they want to see your receipt, just do as I do and ask if they are detaining you. if they say yes, then wait til they are done and call your attorney afterwards.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM

Why do you people make such a big deal out it? I don't stop, but I don't threaten anyone or call attorneys. Just walk out. If they ask you to stop, decline.

It doesn't have to be a battle.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Why do you people make such a big deal out it? I don't stop, but I don't threaten anyone or call attorneys. Just walk out. If they ask you to stop, decline.

It doesn't have to be a battle.
As I said, I have ever been stopped before, so I never gave it any thought until I saw this thread.

So, it is legal, in every state, to just decline and keep on going?

I don't want a battle or a scene, I just don't want to be held up and publically embarrassed if it does happen to me.

I would just like to know the best way to respond to the situation ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies