Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
How would Ron Paul's plan monitor those who "opt-out" from making sure that they don't drive on federally funded highways? How would Paul's plan monitor those who eat FDA inspected foods?
Details, details. It's a good start.
Clean the slate and start over.

Highways could become privately owned and tolled.
The FDA..what a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Don't be obtuse. That's what the 10% is for. You do realize that the majority of your tax dollars goes towards entitlement programs, don't you? Medicare and social security being the two biggies. 10% should cover all the little things like roads, national security, etc.

That too, but I might even be coerced into writing that off as bad debt for the opportunity to opt out.
AMEN

Social Security? Let me stop paying now and give me back 50% of what I've paid in and you'll never hear from me again.\

Medicare? Stop forcing me to pay into something I'll never be able to benefit from and I'm cool with it.

Welfare? Don't need it or want it, I'll take care of myself.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He's talking about this..from your link..like a true Libertarian:

"His proposed deal works like this: you pay the government 10% of your income (presumably to protect your borders and such) and you promise you'll never take advantage of a government service for the rest of your life."
Ugh Libertarians are about as utopian minded as the communists that they despise.

The only difference is that the communists got their shot and failed. I would honestly like to see a libertarian government if for no other purpose then to see it fail and move on.

However, since this is never going to happen we will all have to hear about how if their ideas were implemented the U.S. would be so much better.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 PM

910 posts, read 1,675,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Ugh Libertarians are about as utopian minded as the communists that they despise.

The only difference is that the communists got their shot and failed. I would honestly like to see a libertarian government if for no other purpose then to see it fail and move on.

However, since this is never going to happen we will all have to hear about how if their ideas were implemented the U.S. would be so much better.
How is letting people opt out so "utopia minded?"

Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

Awww, what's the matter Captain Oblivious? You don't like allowing people to opt out of supporting a corrupt government intent on redistributing people's wealth? Can't say I'm surprised. People like you (those in favor of excessive social entitlement programs) need a large pool of people to steal money from or else your beloved programs fail.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
LOL. People will opt out until something bad happens. True Libertarians who walk the walk are not common.

Look no further than the old people on Medicare driving government provided scooters protesting against Obama's Government Health Care.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He's talking about this..from your link..like a true Libertarian:

"His proposed deal works like this: you pay the government 10% of your income (presumably to protect your borders and such) and you promise you'll never take advantage of a government service for the rest of your life."
Does it apply to corporations-are-us as well? And considering that Ron Paul is a state-first guy, perhaps his idea should be implemented at state levels first and see how things go from there? I would gladly pay 10% of my income as taxes and would expect to pay not a penny more on any tax. Is that how it works?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Awww, what's the matter Captain Oblivious? You don't like allowing people to opt out of supporting a corrupt government intent on redistributing people's wealth? Can't say I'm surprised. People like you (those in favor of excessive social entitlement programs) need a large pool of people to steal money from or else your beloved programs fail.
And there can't be any corruption in defense spending, right? Watch what you say, because you don't appear to .

Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Does it apply to corporations-are-us as well? And considering that Ron Paul is a state-first guy, perhaps his idea should be implemented at state levels first and see how things go from there? I would gladly pay 10% of my income as taxes and would expect to pay not a penny more on any tax. Is that how it works?
Ron Paul is from Texas, which does not have a state income tax.

ETA: Never mind, I see you're from Texas so you probably already know this.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Ron Paul is from Texas, which does not have a state income tax.

ETA: Never mind, I see you're from Texas so you probably already know this.
I'm talking about ALL taxes. A tax is a tax, and by any other name too is a tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies