Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

It funny, I really like Ron Paul he's that eccentric uncle who always stirs up a family gathering but you'd never make him a guardian of your children.

Opt-out of government services... unless you are going to move to some remote area of the country, live off the land and otherwise become totally self-sufficient, it is absolutely impossible to not benefit directly or indirectly from government largesse. And, while it that may be a viable option for thousands of people, it certainly isn't an option for a nation of 300 plus million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
I always find it interesting that Millionaires want to opt out of things and suggest the same action for those in a very different position as if they could just follow their example through willpower alone.
If it were up to me Millionaires would not get SS or Medicare, they would pay a Flat tax rate and there would be No loopholes or deductions, that would be the fair thing to do.
Casper

Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And there can't be any corruption in defense spending, right? Watch what you say, because you don't appear to .
Project much? The entire government is rife with corruption, what is your point? The less money they get from me, the less they can squander and waste it. Aside from basic governmental functions (national defense being one of them), I'd prefer to not have to fund this corrupt sinkhole of waste and fraud.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If it were up to me Millionaires would not get SS or Medicare, they would pay a Flat tax rate and there would be No loopholes or deductions, that would be the fair thing to do.
Casper
I actually agree with this.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Project much? The entire government is rife with corruption, what is your point? The less money they get from me, the less they can squander and waste it. Aside from basic governmental functions (national defense being one of them), I'd prefer to not have to fund this corrupt sinkhole of waste and fraud.
It wasn't a projection. It was highlighting something you couldn't think about... that defense is just as prone to corruption as any other government engagement.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It wasn't a projection. It was highlighting something you couldn't think about... that defense is just as prone to corruption as any other government engagement.
And please point out where I denied that.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It funny, I really like Ron Paul he's that eccentric uncle who always stirs up a family gathering but you'd never make him a guardian of your children.

Opt-out of government services... unless you are going to move to some remote area of the country, live off the land and otherwise become totally self-sufficient, it is absolutely impossible to not benefit directly or indirectly from government largesse. And, while it that may be a viable option for thousands of people, it certainly isn't an option for a nation of 300 plus million.
You're not opting out of all government services, you're opting out of services you'll never use or need. You still pay 10% tax on your income to cover the services we all use like roads, bridges and things like that. For those people who choose to opt in they can pay their 30 - 40% in tax then split up whatever money they take in on social programs and things like that. When the money runs out ask the "opt in" crowd to pay more and leave us the hell alone.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
So you want to force millionaires to pay SS and Medicare taxes then not allow them to draw SS or use Medicare AND you feel that it would be the FAIR thing to do ?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Does it apply to corporations-are-us as well? And considering that Ron Paul is a state-first guy, perhaps his idea should be implemented at state levels first and see how things go from there? I would gladly pay 10% of my income as taxes and would expect to pay not a penny more on any tax. Is that how it works?
I vote they try it in TX first.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I vote they try it in TX first.
I do too. It will be nice not having to pay property taxes and gas tax and sales tax and toll tax, after a 10% payment off income for life. I pay almost as much in a year anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies