Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 01:06 AM

570 posts, read 882,544 times

Advertisements

So everyone knows that the "great recession" .. cough depression cough has ultimately had a big impact on most people's work place as well as what people buy/sell and ultimately how people plan for their future..

I want three main things to be answered in this thread.

1. Has there been an increase in work "responsibilities" at your job/career since the economy 'crisis' hit?

2. How do you think your employer has taken advantage of you during this crisis that would have never fly'ed during a strong economy?

3. Will employees generally, and yourself, remember how poorly you were treated during this economic drought, and quit rightfully so once a better opportunity arises, and once the economy rebounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
1. Has there been an increase in work "responsibilities" at your job/career since the economy 'crisis' hit?
Nope. In fact I was allowed to hire two more people to work under me to help with the workload.

Quote:
2. How do you think your employer has taken advantage of you during this crisis that would have never fly'ed during a strong economy?
not being taken advantage of yet

Quote:
3. Will employees generally, and yourself, remember how poorly you were treated during this economic drought, and quit rightfully so once a better opportunity arises, and once the economy rebounds?
Not being treated poorly at all.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Nope. In fact I was allowed to hire two more people to work under me to help with the workload.

not being taken advantage of yet

Not being treated poorly at all.

That is good to hear your A^US...

Some companies, a lot more than most people realize, have benefited heavily off this depression. However, many more have been negatively impacted, devastatingly, enormously..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
That is good to hear your A^US...

Some companies, a lot more than most people realize, have benefited heavily off this depression. However, many more have been negatively impacted, devastatingly, enormously..
some do. its still up to the person being employed to decide if he/she wants to stay in that situation. the buck always ends at the person.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
some do. its still up to the person being employed to decide if he/she wants to stay in that situation. the buck always ends at the person.
ultimately yes.. However most people aren't at the capacity to say "F8#$ off" system.. And create their own revenue stream. Mainly because of the existing laws that support current employers and tax/regulation reasons.

It's not as easy as "I want to open a lemonade stand" that oblivious libs *when libs are in power" , that oblivious rebs "when republicans are in power" want you to believe. . .

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
In my job, it's always more work.
This has been going on for my entire career, and I'm close to retirement age.
Nothing has changed before or after this great recession you're talking about.

Many people were protected by unions, but since the elimination of unions, there are no checks & balances on the employer.

I guess it's all about the free market that some like so much.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
I always say if you don't like your job then find another one. Pretty simiple.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
1. Yes, there has been an increase in responsibility but they were items I wanted. That's how you move up the ladder - work harder than the person sitting beside you.
2. No. In fact my bonus for 2010 was the 2nd largest bonus I have ever received since I started my career in IT back in the early 90's.
3. Not being treated poorly. In fact since the economy has gone down, I have been allowed to work at home 100% of the time instead of being fired when my local office was closed.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
I'm having to push projects back to later in the year right now because I can't find qualified people to do the work in certain areas of the country. Since the recession hit we've been slammed with work and at times we've been overwhelmed. Our compensation has gone up considerably due to the added work load and the perks continue to get better.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
I have had to take a $15/hr cut in my pay due to the flood of unemployed IT workers pushing billing rates down. My hours have been cut since projects are being cancelled. I normally bill 50-60 hrs a week and now can only work 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies