Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
How do you know what team I am on? Pointing out hypocrisy is not one team vs another. As a matter of fact, I am not a partisan, I am an ideologe (conservative). I bash Republicans who deserve it (like my ex-governator Arnold Schwartzentraitor). In fact, I have said on this forum that I have never been more-disappointed by any politician than by Arnold.
You went out of your way to make a post that seems to defend Barbour solely on the basis that those on "the left" "never" criticized Robert Byrd.

Quote:
However, I would disagree with you about teams. Ideas need people to maintain them, to promote them, defend them, articulate them, shepherd them. Humanity organizes itself into teams automatically. Families are just a team of related people.
Partisanship is a natural part of politics, but it shouldn't lead to people responding to a post of "this guy is a racist," with nothing more than "well what about this Democrat?" There's pointing out "hypocrisy" and then there's living in two separate types of realities. It's the sort of thing that leads Fox News viewers to overwhelmingly believe the (false) fact that WMDs were discovered in Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
You went out of your way to make a post that seems to defend Barbour solely on the basis that those on "the left" "never" criticized Robert Byrd.

Partisanship is a natural part of politics, but it shouldn't lead to people responding to a post of "this guy is a racist," with nothing more than "well what about this Democrat?" There's pointing out "hypocrisy" and then there's living in two separate types of realities. It's the sort of thing that leads Fox News viewers to overwhelmingly believe the (false) fact that WMDs were discovered in Iraq.
And yet the left has not put forward any proof of racism on the part of Barbour.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And yet the left has not put forward any proof of racism on the part of Barbour.
Please re-read my prior post about his support of the white nationalist CCC; his support for the White Citizens' Council and his refusal to oppose a movement to put KKK leader Nathan Forrest on a license plate.

Personally, I think it leads to a conclusion that the guy is clueless, but that's just me.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Please re-read my prior post about his support of the white nationalist CCC; his support for the White Citizens' Council and his refusal to oppose a movement to put KKK leader Nathan Forrest on a license plate.

Personally, I think it leads to a conclusion that the guy is clueless, but that's just me.
Personally, I think that the refusal to look at the way Forrest changed his life in his later years and became a supporter of civil rights for emancipated slaves shows that you are either clueless or biased; and, that you willfully choose to fling the racism label indescriminantly in this thread.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think that the refusal to look at the way Forrest changed his life in his later years and became a supporter of civil rights for emancipated slaves shows that you are either clueless or biased; and, that you willfully choose to fling the racism label indescriminantly in this thread.
I didn't refuse to consider what Forrest said later in life, no matter how many times you call me utterly inflexible and knock down strawman arguments. I said that despite what he said, his historical reputation as one of the earliest KKK leaders, as in charge of his troops during a massacre, and as a slave trader all have weighed more heavily than what he said at an event later in life. He is a symbol of the KKK, of hatred and bigotry, and his words before the Pole-Bearers Association have not undone all of that. There are many other confederate figures who do not have nearly so much historical "baggage."

Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I didn't refuse to consider what Forrest said later in life, no matter how many times you call me utterly inflexible and knock down strawman arguments. I said that despite what he said, his historical reputation as one of the earliest KKK leaders, as in charge of his troops during a massacre, and as a slave trader all have weighed more heavily than what he said at an event later in life. He is a symbol of the KKK, of hatred and bigotry, and his words before the Pole-Bearers Association have not undone all of that. There are many other confederate figures who do not have nearly so much historical "baggage."
Yet you continue to dodge supporting the claims you've made about of racism.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yet you continue to dodge supporting the claims you've made about of racism.
I don't know what you think I'm dodging here. Forrest has a historical reputation based on his history as a slave trader, notorious civil war massacre, and early KKK leader. Kind words spoken at his last public appearance has not undone all that over the years.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you think I'm dodging here. Forrest has a historical reputation based on his history as a slave trader, notorious civil war massacre, and early KKK leader. Kind words spoken at his last public appearance has not undone all that over the years.
And that makes Barbour a racist how? Because he isn't politically correct enough for you? Really? Though he has done nothing racist himself?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
And that makes Barbour a racist how? Because he isn't politically correct enough for you? Really? Though he has done nothing racist himself?
I have posted my opinion of Barbour a few times. He has a history - speaking at CCC (racist organization) sponsored events; complete misunderstanding of White Citizens' Councils, the '50s and '60s in Mississippi being "not so bad," not opposing an effort to get Forrest onto a license plate. I could see how somebody could conclude that Barbour is a racist.

I don't conclude that though - I conclude that he just didn't care growing up and doesn't care to learn about history.

Edit: put it in bold for you because you apparently missed it the first two times I said I don't think Barbour is a racist.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Just to clarify the license plate issue in Mississippi, it is a request by the Sons of Confederate Veterans to the state of Mississippi to honor Forrest. This is not the brainchild of the state.

Barbour has stated this plate will not happen.

"I said accurately this is not going to happen. The bureaucracy denied it, the Legislature won't pass it and if the Legislature passes it, it won't become law because I won't sign it."

The Mississippi NAACP last week had called on Barbour to denounce the license plate proposal. "I don't denounce individual people whether they've been dead 100 years or not," the governor said Monday.

No, I do not support a license plate honoring Forrest, so you know where I stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies