Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times

Advertisements

Is the Wealth Gap Widening Under Obama, Bernanke? - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Is-the-Wealth-Gap-Widening-cnbc-340452063.html;_ylt=AhzOpKmcghozpe.G8EaeiXu7YWsA;_ ylu=X3oDMTFmYWlnbWcwBHBvcwMzBHNlYwNleHBlcnRPcGluaW 9uRHluYW1pYwRzbGsDaXN0aGV3ZWFsdGhn?x=0 - broken link)

The wealth gap continues to widen between the wealthy and the poor in the United States. Proof positive that it does not matter if they call themselves Democrats or Republicans, they all have the same agenda, and it is not to serve the interests of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Why are neo-liberals so obsessed with the gap between rich and poor?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Because most of them fall on the "poor" side ?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times
Surgeons and janitors should not be making the same amount of money. The cost of education, skills necessary, and all the work required to get upper income jobs is good reason to pay more to skilled workers.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
That's hilarious considering you come from West Virginia...home to the most backward, poverty stricken, majority white, counties in the Nation.....LOL

Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's hilarious considering you come from West Virginia...home to the most backward, poverty stricken, majority white, counties in the Nation.....LOL

Again, why does it matter? If people work hard, get an education, make sacrifices they should be able to out earn others...

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because most of them fall on the "poor" side ?
I'm not a liberal, but I think we need to be concerned about the decline of the middle class in this country. I'm pretty comfortable, but my business, and countless other businesses around this country, depend on people actually being able to earn a decent income so they can participate in the economy. I don't think anyone here is talking about the difference between the salaries of a brain surgeon and a garbage truck driver, but we have a problem when we can't seem to create or keep jobs here for high school and undergraduate level workers that pay a living wage.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
A wider gap between rich and poor is a reflection of your society. It only serves to hinder our human capital. If we had extreme poverty rates like in Nigeria, we could see more turbulence politically. We could also experience shrinking market of consumers (as what happened in apartheid South Africa, the market shrank). Our poor would not be able to advance with any potential new ideas since there would not be a decent system of education. A two tiered society is very unstable.

There is also the human aspect. We don't dictate what situations we are born into. We don't dictate the policies that enable us to thrive in any particular society. So why should we stifle the poor and give benefits only to the rich? They aren't inherently better. Everyone deserves a fair chance.

Of course not everyone should make the same salaries. However, a widening wealth gap goes beyond salaries. Schools in poor neighborhoods do not have the same advantages as those in richer communities. Part of this is funding. A study in Los Angeles showed that poorer communities in the area had fewer parks and after school activities. This had a direct correlation to increased crime. Where I lived, there were TONS of parks, LOTS of after school activities and very little crime. A widening wealth gap would degrade the standard of living in these communities.

We've seen that as the wealth gap widens, wages for the lower middle and working poor stagnate (as services and goods increase). Wages for the extremely poor have declined. However, wages for the extremely wealthy have climbed overall.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm not a liberal, but I think we need to be concerned about the decline of the middle class in this country. I'm pretty comfortable, but my business, and countless other businesses around this country, depend on people actually being able to earn a decent income so they can participate in the economy. I don't think anyone here is talking about the difference between the salaries of a brain surgeon and a garbage truck driver, but we have a problem when we can't seem to create or keep jobs here for high school and undergraduate level workers that pay a living wage.
Because we outsourced so much producing to other countries who can do it for less.

In this new global economy I think there will be more losers than winners.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM

371 posts, read 393,205 times
Maybe someone needs to realize the concept of supply vs. demand and how it applies to the workforce.

If there are only so many low skilled labor jobs (janitors, construction, garbage truck driver, etc) maybe it would be a good idea to limit immigration of low skilled workers?

Seems like flooding the market with bodies would only make it harder on the poor already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies