Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

From the point of view of the Social Security trust funds, the holdings of "special" government bonds are an investment that returned 5.5% to the trust funds in 2005.

Now, 5.5% of $2.5 trillion is $137 billion/year which should cover the shortfall.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/TR06/tr06.pdf

Yes, its a bookkeeping game in a sense but SS is not insolvent. Its up to the government to honor its debt by either raising taxes or, preferably, reducing expenditure elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
From the point of view of the Social Security trust funds, the holdings of "special" government bonds are an investment that returned 5.5% to the trust funds in 2005.

Now, 5.5% of $2.5 trillion is $137 billion/year which should cover the shortfall.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/TR06/tr06.pdf

Yes, its a bookkeeping game in a sense but SS is not insolvent. Its up to the government to honor its debt by either raising taxes or, preferably, reducing expenditure elsewhere.
Correct. And until then SS has to borrow to make their monthly payments.
And what is worse is that payroll taxes are lower this year which is even less going to SS by taxpayers.

And it ends up being a big circular game between the Fed, the Treasury and all the agencies.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Correct. And until then SS has to borrow to make their monthly payments.
And what is worse is that payroll taxes are lower this year which is even less going to SS by taxpayers.

And it ends up being a big circular game between the Fed, the Treasury and all the agencies.
The GOP is going after SS too.

Quote:
In the name of deficit reduction, House Republicans are going back to the Social Security well, offering budget proposals similar to those President George W. Bush proposed after his 2004 re-election that would privatize Social Security accounts and reduce cost of living adjustments.
Rep. Hensarling Advocates Cutting Benefits And Privatizing Social Security | TPM LiveWire

Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
I'd love to be able to privatize a portion of my SS. I'm self employed, paying 15% to it and I'll never see that money back. Even in a no interest bank account I'd be in better shape than the % I lose contributing to SS.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I'd love to be able to privatize a portion of my SS. I'm self employed, paying 15% to it and I'll never see that money back. Even in a no interest bank account I'd be in better shape than the % I lose contributing to SS.
I guarantee this won't be the case for privatizing Medicare!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

How can they privatize when they hold non-negotiable securities ?
The Treasury cannot pay those back anytime soon.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Well it's obvious your a victim of right wing propaganda.

But let me ask you this....Since your money is now going into your private account. How are current retirees going to get their money? Because they rely almost 95% on what you pay into SS to fund their retirement now.

Don't tell me.......................You want to borrow Trillions from China to fund your scheme?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wrong. The "trust fund" is non negotiable Treasury bonds.
Notice I posted "bonds" and not "notes".
The SS trust fund does not hold any marketable assets..they have nothing to sell. They are private, unsellable claims against the Treasury.

It's all a bookkeeping game.
Here is a new "bookkeeping game" for SS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIc-3ti3Xw8

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
How would it be different than Medicare Advantage Plans? THey were privately controlled but followed govt regulations and gave better services to the policyholder. No need to buy a private Medicare supplemental policy which all Medicare holders need to do now. So we have private insurance companies making more money now due to Obamacare outlawing Medicare Advantage Plans. Are you angry about that as well, making seniors pay more money for less coverage?

Also since Obamacare is supposedly going to control premium costs and prevent excessive adminstration costs, what would be the difference between private insurance and public?
Good clear guidance on what must be covered and what isn't is what is desperately needed for people to decide which policy they want to purchase.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM

The social entitlement programs (paid for and free) cannot be sustained anymore.
Less people are working for less money. The labor workforce is only 63% of Americans.

It will only get worse..boomers start turning 65 this year. Those who are 62 and can't get jobs will be putting in for their early money as well.

I give the system 2 more years at most before it implodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies