Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
So explain these great individuals ruining people's worship on Sunday:

"Instead, the couple found themselves wading through nearly 100 men and women who had gathered outside the cathedral Sunday morning to protest the Catholic Church's opposition to gay marriage and other stances that they see as unjust to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. The protesters waved rainbow flags and shouted slogans like, "Hey, hey, ho, ho, homophobia has got to go!" and, "Holy Name, holy shame!""

Gay-rights activists protest at Holy Name Cathedral - Chicago Tribune
A few wild-eyed activists don't represent the majority, and besides, the government will not get involved with forcing churches to marry anybody. Do you know of any laws currently that require churches to marry anybody? No, you don't. That's because none exist.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Easy come, easy go.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
and besides, the government will not get involved with forcing churches to marry anybody. Do you know of any laws currently that require churches to marry anybody? No, you don't. That's because none exist.
With Obama in charge anything is possible.

The plan is to first force states to allow gay marriages by bringing the issue to the courts and sympathetic Democratic legislatures. Once the gay marriage laws are on the books in a majority of states, the next phase comes into play. Gay marriage bans will be ruled unconstitutional.

Then, any church that will not marry gays will be in violation of the law for "discrimination." When the government threatens to take away the exempt tax status of the churches and also be sued by the government, the churches will have no choice but to allow gay marriage or they will cease to exist.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Easy come, easy go.
Umm... I guess that means you're not outraged by this news.

Quote:
With Obama in charge anything is possible.

The plan is to first force states to allow gay marriages by bringing the issue to the courts and sympathetic Democratic legislatures. Once the gay marriage laws are on the books in a majority of states the next phase comes into play.

Then, any church that will not marry gays will be in violation of the law for "discrimination." When the government threatens to take away the non-exempt status of the churches and also be sued by the government, the churches will have no choice, but to allow gay marriage.
I'm sorry, but that is so paranoid, it's almost not worth responding to. The U.S. government has never forced any church to marry anyone. To say that they're going to force churches to marry same-sex couples is crazy-talk.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 02-16-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You don't get to cut the benefits of one group without cutting those benefits across the board for all employees. It's called discrimination. And though health benefits may be a "perk", they are also part of a complete compensation program provided by the employer to all employees. Cutting already existing benefits from one group of employees, based on their sexual orientation, is discrimination. There's no way in hell this stands up to appeal, even if they take it all the way to the Supremes. The state will just have to find some other way to cut costs.

Oh! Oh! I know!

They could send the illegal immigrants who are blowing up their budget back to......ehh?

They did what?

Oh, they did?

Racial profiling you say?

.....err-agh.....nevermind.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Forcing churches to perform gay marriages is in the gay marriage activists agenda.

If it was not in the agenda, gays would be forming their own churches that allow gay marriages.

I did not imply there was. I am only going to count them to prove a point.
Whenever people say "the gay agenda" I picture some old queen writing in a diary with a feathered pen.

Either way, I haven't received my copy this month. Should I call subscriptions?

Whenever people bring up the "gay agenda," it's more of less codeword for "I hate homosexuals." Hey - that's me reading between the lines, Tony! I have a Ph.D. in philosophy - does that make me qualified to do so?

I would organize a boycott of AZ, but that state is in crap up to its eyeballs right now, so what difference would it make?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I would organize a boycott of AZ,
For me, I'm becoming somewhat inclined toward moving there. They seem to be the ones leading the efforts to restore sanity to government.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Hey - that's me reading between the lines, Tony! I have a Ph.D. in philosophy - does that make me qualified to do so?
Sure you do.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
So explain these great individuals ruining people's worship on Sunday:

"Instead, the couple found themselves wading through nearly 100 men and women who had gathered outside the cathedral Sunday morning to protest the Catholic Church's opposition to gay marriage and other stances that they see as unjust to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. The protesters waved rainbow flags and shouted slogans like, "Hey, hey, ho, ho, homophobia has got to go!" and, "Holy Name, holy shame!""

Gay-rights activists protest at Holy Name Cathedral - Chicago Tribune
I thought that the gay agenda is to be "godless".
I highly doubt that this protest is to make the point that gays want to be married in the church. I have not been to a mass in nearly 20 years because of its blatant hypocrisy towards gays and lesbians and acceptance of hetero "sins". I only went this past sunday to comfort my mother since my grandmother (her mother) passed away. Did anyone ask the protesters if they wanted to be married there? Protesting against the church has more to do with their antiquated policies against gays, their donations and political influence to the anti-gay agenda. For those of us who grew up in the church and still have close family members in the church, it can be a sore topic.
I don't know of ANY gay or lesbian couple that has said that they wish to marry in a church that is not accepting of them.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
with obama in charge anything is possible.

The plan is to first force states to allow gay marriages by bringing the issue to the courts and sympathetic democratic legislatures. Once the gay marriage laws are on the books in a majority of states, the next phase comes into play. Gay marriage bans will be ruled unconstitutional.

Then, any church that will not marry gays will be in violation of the law for "discrimination." when the government threatens to take away the exempt tax status of the churches and also be sued by the government, the churches will have no choice but to allow gay marriage or they will cease to exist.
good!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies