Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

Pointing the finger to the democrats, or to the republicans, I don't see the point because after 9/11 all of America was in revenge mode and we bought the story under emotion and a surge of patriotism and after a tragedy clear minds often don't work. Yes all Americans for the most part said yes to retribution.

The best thing we as a nation can do is learn from the past and apply it to the future. Step back next time before letting emotion and nationalism take over and make sure to think out the long term consequences and that the action taken will have the desired outcome. Most Americans including me knew nothing much about the Iraqi people or culture. We assumed because we looked at our own glory, that they were like us and wanted to be "saved".

Sure some Iraqis are glad for America's action, but obviously their culture is more complex than just "wanting democracy" and our actions may have done more harm than good in the long term both for them and for us.

And then there is the fact that the idea of bringing freedom to Iraq wasn't the real purpose by some, but it sold the war or sugar coated it when the mistakes surfaced. I say this because some who support what we did in Iraq say we were the good guys from bringing down a dictator who hurt his own people yet the same people in the case of Egypt support keeping a dictator even if he harms his own people because it is better than the "alternative". The alternative probably meaning the U.S.A loosing influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
No, I retired from the Marines in 1989, but my Son did three tours in Iraq as a Lance Corporal.
Wow. 3 tours as an LC? Ouch! That's tough duty as it is, but doing it when you're near the bottom of the totem pole rankwise is really tough. Especially if he's in Combat-Arms. Good for him...he's got balls.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
they have oil, they can repair that alone

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wow. 3 tours as an LC? Ouch! That's tough duty as it is, but doing it when you're near the bottom of the totem pole rankwise is really tough. Especially if he's in Combat-Arms. Good for him...he's got balls.

Yep....he didn't have to either. He wanted to.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Quote:
Let's go back to WWII when we shipped arms to Soviet Russia too.
Yep another smart move which just cost us more and more money in the long run, thanks for bringing that up

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
"They will greet us as liberators"
And oil revenues will pay for that liberation........................................ .

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Yep....he didn't have to either. He wanted to.
Yea, but that's how it usually is. You don't want your team to go somewhere and leave you out. When i was in the Army, i was the same way. Even though i don't believe in these wars and think they're a colossal waste of time, resources, and most importantly, LIVES, if i was on active duty i'd be chomping at the bit to get in the action because i always wanted to be with my team. And i'm easily the biggest hippie on C-D!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Yep another smart move which just cost us more and more money in the long run, thanks for bringing that up

Of course, one must think a little deeper to understand the ways of the world.

Things change, allies change, enemies change.

Think deeper....

Who'd have forecast that the Muslim people we helped fend-off a hostile take-over of their Country (Afghanistan) by the Soviets in one decade would turn around and bite the hand that helped them in the next?

That's not OUR fault. It's also not our fault that our once ally against Hitler turned sour and became our enemy later.

Who'd have forecast that the nation that bombed Pearl Harbour would later become one of our best allies?

Sometimes things work out for the better and sometimes not. Many times, it's not from anything you did right or wrong either.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, but that's how it usually is. You don't want your team to go somewhere and leave you out. When i was in the Army, i was the same way. Even though i don't believe in these wars and think they're a colossal waste of time, resources, and most importantly, LIVES, if i was on active duty i'd be chomping at the bit to get in the action because i always wanted to be with my team. And i'm easily the biggest hippie on C-D!

Yep......my Wife wasn't too keen on him volunteering to go back there (especially after Fallujah), but I couldn't fault him because I knew the urge having done close to 4 years in Nam.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And oil revenues will pay for that liberation........................................ .
I believe that was the plan initially. Then the UN decided that since they didn't like our war, we couldn't use those profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies