Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Looking out for my best interests includes NOT chasing the highest tax payers from the state. No one is forced to live in Wisconsin, New Jersey, Nevada or anywhere. We found in NJ we lost $70 billion in wealth due to tax policy.
Mary E. Forsberg: Facts don

Not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Some of us newly minted grads (2 years out now) want to become teachers, but are facing the reality that I can't pay off my debts and try to help society. I have to choose between the two or stay abroad.

Here, I get free housing, pension, severance pay, healthcare, dental. At least 5 people I've met in the 3 months of living abroad were teachers that were under compensated in their respective districts. They are saving up to get a masters degree (like me) to hopefully find a job that pays okay back in the states. However, it seems less and less likely.

Some of those concessions could be about not helping tuition repayment for teachers. The average starting salary in WI for a bachelor's degree is $31,000. That's not that much considering the amount of loans many people have.

I think that had the collective bargaining not been messed with, there would still be an uproar, but not as much of one.
Problem is, unions don't make enough concessions....in private sector, when a decisioni s made it is executed.....there is a fiscal problem, with unions not helping in a solution there needs to be an ability to change com/benefits - especially when the people are paying their salary. Besides, teachers should be smart enough to negotiate their own comp/benefit plan.....it is not that hard...

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:

Of course it's true. Look at the top of her peice, it is labeld Opinion.

Here is the real story.

N.J. loses $70B in wealth during five years as residents depart | NJ.com

"More than $70 billion in wealth left New Jersey between 2004 and 2008 as affluent residents moved elsewhere, according to a report released Wednesday that marks a swift reversal of fortune for a state once considered the nation’s wealthiest.
Conducted by the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy at Boston College, the report found wealthy households in New Jersey were leaving for other states — mainly Florida, Pennsylvania and New York — at a faster rate than they were being replaced.
Rutgers University economists say it could take seven years to recover from recession
“The wealth is not being replaced,” said John Havens, who directed the study. “It’s above and beyond the general trend that is affecting the rest of the northeast.” "

It remains a fact that eventually you will run out of other peoples money. People will not sit still for any level of taxation, there is a rate which will cause people to leave. The very fact we are having this debate means we are there or very close. Here's a novel idea, let's live within our means.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
You sicken me. I mean it's also about stripping away collective bargaining rights that have allowed people with bachelor's, masters, and yes Phds to teach YOUR children. If not YOUR children, the child next door who will be a part of the same society as your child.

The pension is only ONE aspect of the proposal. The BIGGEST part is the removal of collective bargaining. This is ridiculous. What, should we pay teachers a meager wage? Already the average teacher is at least in debt by nearly 30k if they have a bachelors...more if a masters degree. Considering education is not a high paying field, that is a lot of money.

Let's erode the middle class further and do away with public education. After all, it seems we should not provide any incentive for people to teach 20-150 children whose parents range from overly protective and critical to dangerous and apathetic. Not to mention constantly being berated by the public as being greedy leeches on society shoving liberal indoctrination. Sign me up for that at a starting salary of $32,000.

Seriously, that's the starting salary of a teacher with a bachelor's degree in Milwaukee. The average is roughly $41,000. Shouldn't we give benefits and pay the people educating the future and acting as a stabilizing force of America, a little more. Or at the very least allow them the ability to plead their case?
sorry you are sick.My daughter and two sisters are teachers doing just fine without a union.they agree with me not mob rule and closing schools with paid sick days. ps the teachers dont seem to want more pay they want free pensions for life and free health ins for life. that is stupid and we cant aford it OK

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes they do but the bulk of school disctrict funding comes from property taxes (i.e. the taxpayers of WI). This Governor campaigned on this specific issue of making public employees contribute more toward their benefits in order to balance the state budget. Because he was elected they now throw a tantrum when he follows through on the wishes of the state at large? Really?

No, these teachers are proving they are more committed to being union activists than they are in being teachers.

These unionized teachers are showing that they have no problem defrauding the system by lying about being "sick" in order to join union protests.

These unionized are showing that as role modles they are willing to use the children in their care as bargaining chips and as useful idiots (unwitting accomplices and props) in protest.

It is nothing short of shameful. If any of these kids protesting were hauled out of school without the expressed knowledge and permission of their parents these unionized activist teachers should be brought up on kidnaping charges.
The wishes of the state at large is the same ridiculousness as the rest of the nation. No government, good schools, lower taxes, better roads. It's dichotomous and contradictory. You want better teachers, yet you don't want to provide incentives in becoming or staying being a teacher.

It's more shameful that there are people that want it all (complain about the state of education, infrastructure, etc.) but then fork out money for causes against those interests.

The bulk of the money is not federal, correct. However, 8% to 10% are from federal sources. This amounts to roughly $40 billion to states and districts. In order to help states like WI, we should consider decreasing subsidies and waste and put that money towards education. So instead of attacking teachers, why not attack those that are sucking more money than education?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This angers me to no end.

Wisconsin Teachers Prove Our Point

Union Protests Continue, Teachers Call In Sick Opposing WI Gov's Proposals | TPMDC

And then the final act of inappropriateness:

Shocking Vid: Wis. HS Students Admit Teachers Bringing Them to Protests but Don‘t Know Why They’re There | The Blaze

So, basically, the greedy teachers' unions are calling in sick so they can protest at a political rally, leaving the kids twisting in the wind. Some Milwaukee schools are closed today, and for the second day in a row, some schools are closed in Madison. I also heard that one of the universities is having a staff walkout later today...if I was a student there, I would be PO-ed due to having to pay tuition just to have the teacher not show up to make a point.

When did teachers become so greedy that they put their pay and benefits ahead of teaching students? This is a great argument for why 1) public sector employees should not be allowed to form unions and collectively bargain, 2) public schools cannot possibly provide the best education, at least if unions are as controlling as they are here, 3) unions should not be allowed for the "caring professions" like teachers and healthcare workers b/c it's a conflict of interest. It used to be that you take a public sector job or job in a "caring field" BECAUSE YOU CARE about what you're doing (teaching kids, stopping child abuse, helping the elderly, caring for sick people, etc.), not b/c you can make good money at it.

I would have put this in the WI subforum but this is making national news (it was on Fox this morning) and besides, it's an issue that could affect more than just WI if other states/unions follow suit.
I'm agree
Unions, we see your real evil face and goam : to live on the taxpayers' back ! Thanks Gov Walker because in Illionois they had a 66% income tax increase to feed these union buddies !

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course it's true. Look at the top of her peice, it is labeld Opinion.

Here is the real story.

N.J. loses $70B in wealth during five years as residents depart | NJ.com

"More than $70 billion in wealth left New Jersey between 2004 and 2008 as affluent residents moved elsewhere, according to a report released Wednesday that marks a swift reversal of fortune for a state once considered the nation’s wealthiest.
Conducted by the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy at Boston College, the report found wealthy households in New Jersey were leaving for other states — mainly Florida, Pennsylvania and New York — at a faster rate than they were being replaced.
• Rutgers University economists say it could take seven years to recover from recession
“The wealth is not being replaced,†said John Havens, who directed the study. “It’s above and beyond the general trend that is affecting the rest of the northeast.†"

It remains a fact that eventually you will run out of other peoples money. People will not sit still for any level of taxation, there is a rate which will cause people to leave. The very fact we are having this debate means we are there or very close. Here's a novel idea, let's live within our means.
The first half of the ten years had an INCREASE of $98 billion. Thus, a net increase of $28 billion in wealth. Not to mention the INCREASE in those making more than 500k a year.

Let's not forget that there were also demographics in play. Those that left were OLDER. New Jersey is not a retirement haven. Ever heard of the cliche of moving to Florida when I retire?

For a state that is "losing" so much, it's odd that it has the second highest median income. Not to mention amongst the highest percentage of millionaires (a percentage that GREW prior to the recession). Huh.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
sorry you are sick.My daughter and two sisters are teachers doing just fine without a union.they agree with me not mob rule and closing schools with paid sick days. ps the teachers dont seem to want more pay they want free pensions for life and free health ins for life. that is stupid and we cant aford it OK
If you're truly sorry for causing my ailment I suggest you stop lying. I doubt you're daughter and sister are teachers. Esp. with your vitriolic attitude towards those that work in poorer districts. That would help, again if you're truly sorry. Somehow I don't think you are. I think that you don't understand and thus feel compelled to try to simplify the problem as "greedy teachers". So I guess I found another well to cure me, since you are the cause of my sickness. Educate yourself on education. If really you do have a daughter who is a teacher along with your sister, ask them and their coworkers what it is like to work in an overcrowded inner city school...ask them if they know anyone who does. Get all perspectives, not just the hushed suburban perspective that encompasses the majority of your posts.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
These union leeches represent everything that is wrong with America. Soaring deficits, huge budget shortfalls, people losing homes and jobs everywhere, and they walk out on the kids so they can go whine about being affected by cuts. Everyone is going to have to feel the pain, and I am sick and tired of the union thugs and leeches demanding special treatment.

Also, Obama can gfhs for siding with the union thugs.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Problem is, unions don't make enough concessions....in private sector, when a decisioni s made it is executed.....there is a fiscal problem, with unions not helping in a solution there needs to be an ability to change com/benefits - especially when the people are paying their salary. Besides, teachers should be smart enough to negotiate their own comp/benefit plan.....it is not that hard...
I used to work in insurance, trust me it's not that easy. It was MY job to make it hard to read and understand the lingo. I had LAWYERS ask me to interpret the legalese in the documents.

This our national education, not a corporation. If coca-cola reports lowered earning our future is still relatively more secure. If people don't want to become teachers and thus Johnny can't read, our nation is much less secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies