Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
I wasn't the one griping about bringing in teacher issues from other states, someone from Missouri was. When you post a quote try to read what the quote is in reference to or is that too hard.
NO, you need to read, b/c what I was referring to was someone talking about her friend who lives in another state in the private sector, something about sick days. You shouldn't be pointing out people who don't live in WI when you yourself don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I don't think it's so much higher pay, as Scott Walker wants the union members to contribute modestly to their health (12-13%) and pension (~ 6%) benefits. The union is reluctant. He also wants to limit collective bargaining rights for non-salary items.

This is outrageous; the people paying the union members (i.e. the rest of us) are losing jobs left and right, while new graduates are piling up insane debt loads with grim job prospects. While all this goes on, we have to fork over more and more money to the Governments so they can **** it away.

We have to pay for our benefits, so why shouldn't the union members in Wisconsin or anywhere else? There is NO MONEY for this. Chris Christie said it best when he said the unions would thank him in 15 years because they are at least receiving something. If this path continues, they'll either get nothing in terms of dollars or nothing in the sense they'll get dollars that have no purchasing power. We all have to cut back, Government included. Besides, these are VERY modest concessions.
I agree with what you have said on this thread. I was talking to another poster who said teachers should get paid more.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You just stated "No freakin union they wont touch that stuff. they aint tough enough".

You clearly don't remember what you wrote. This is the internet, there is a record of each lie that you tell.
Yes I did you troll. My sister teaches in the inner city.I t was through a grant to train her and others to become teachers in 2 years to pick up where the union teachers left off. 5 of them in her group carpool everyday to NYC to help these poor unfortunate children the public school system abandoned. She loves her job and thinks she is making a difference, so call me a liar and try to prove it all you want. what the heck are you doing? nothing I'm sure except trying to prove how great you are by trying to put someone else down on a forum So care to try again?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Some of us newly minted grads (2 years out now) want to become teachers, but are facing the reality that I can't pay off my debts and try to help society. I have to choose between the two or stay abroad.

Here, I get free housing, pension, severance pay, healthcare, dental. At least 5 people I've met in the 3 months of living abroad were teachers that were under compensated in their respective districts. They are saving up to get a masters degree (like me) to hopefully find a job that pays okay back in the states. However, it seems less and less likely.

Some of those concessions could be about not helping tuition repayment for teachers. The average starting salary in WI for a bachelor's degree is $31,000. That's not that much considering the amount of loans many people have.

I think that had the collective bargaining not been messed with, there would still be an uproar, but not as much of one.
This brings up another point. Who's choice was it to go into debt to get a degree? Not mine, not my problem. Taxpayers should not be footing the bill for post-secondary education. And as I have mentioned a million times now, the starting salary for a teacher in MIlwaukee County is $35k plus whatever their benefits are worth (average for the county is $30k in bennies).

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
There is. You have people appointed to Congress who have been on record stating that they want to dismantle the Dept. of Ed. One of the biggest criticisms of Obama was that he graduated from Harvard (remember the latte liberal cartoon?), you have this going on in WI. You also have people running advocating that we homeschool our children. The Texas textbook revisions...

These just some examples of anti-education in this nation.

It's not just against the teacher's union it really is an assault on state education and education in general (Texas book fight as an example).

Well if they are calling for more resources to go towards education why did they vote Tea Party or Republican?

I'm not the one with blinders. WI should be an indication that many elected officials do not want to support public education.
The reason for dismanteling the Dept. of Ed. is because of the entrenchment of the teachers unions and the way the federal agency has been pandering.

Textbook revisions where unions, Progressives and radical Islamicists get to revise history and choose what goes in to the books. Progressives get their panties in a wad when Conservatives try to put a stop to it or get equal say.

Obama's education is off topic but since you had to go there:
We don't really know much about Obama's education do we. He has locked down everything so that no one can see his school records. Michele's thesis was locked down as well after people began to read the racist nature of it. All we really know is that Obama's Harvard education was paid for by an Arab radical Islamicist (Khalid Abdullah Tariq al-Mansour).

Now, again, there is no "anti-education" tide in this country but the gravy train has turned against the teachers unions for taking more than their share and short changing the students' education in the process.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The reason for dismanteling the Dept. of Ed. is because of the entrenchment of the teachers unions and the way the federal agency has been pandering.

Textbook revisions where unions, Progressives and radical Islamicists get to revise history and choose what goes in to the books. Progressives get their panties in a wad when Conservatives try to put a stop to it or get equal say.

Obama's education is off topic but since you had to go there:
We don't really know much about Obama's education do we. He has locked down everything so that no one can see his school records. Michele's thesis was locked down as well after people began to read the racist nature of it. All we really know is that Obama's Harvard education was paid for by an Arab radical Islamicist.

Now, again, there is no "anti-education" tide in this country but the gravy train has turned against the teachers unions for taking more than their share and short changing the students' education in the process.
all three threads on WI teacher union etc should be merged - we are all pretty much saying the same thing on
each of them.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I used to work in insurance, trust me it's not that easy. It was MY job to make it hard to read and understand the lingo. I had LAWYERS ask me to interpret the legalese in the documents.

This our national education, not a corporation. If coca-cola reports lowered earning our future is still relatively more secure. If people don't want to become teachers and thus Johnny can't read, our nation is much less secure.
Um, if you know how much insurance premiums cost, you know how much will be contributed to your 401k, etc., you can negotiate your own pay. A monkey could do that.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
I used to work in insurance, trust me it's not that easy. It was MY job to make it hard to read and understand the lingo. I had LAWYERS ask me to interpret the legalese in the documents.

This our national education, not a corporation. If coca-cola reports lowered earning our future is still relatively more secure. If people don't want to become teachers and thus Johnny can't read, our nation is much less secure.
There is not a shortage of teachers - just go to a teacher job fair. Not to mention IF Johnny can't read he's probably in the public school system

Probably one of the reasons, home schooling is on the
rise.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Spoken like a person who has obviously never stepped foot into a classroom as a teacher.
I take it you're a teacher? Hmm, so you support teachers walking out on the students to go protest? Good to know.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can just raise the state income tax and let the taxpayers fund the pensions and healthcare of the teachers.
The tax burden on the people of WI is high enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies