Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ironically one Democratic Senator was heard to say: "The story around the world is the rush to democracy. The story in Wisconsin is the end of the democratic process."
Yeah. Especially when you run and hide from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Yeah. Especially when you run and hide from it.
That of course is the irony!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Saying you belong to the Democratic Party is the first lie a member has to tell. I guess after that lying becomes easy.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The democrat party has conempt for democracy. The people have spoken, they lost. Elections have consequences. They are trying to get through thuggery what they couldn't get at the ballot box. There are democratic mechanisms for addressing policies you don't like. Shutting down the government isn't one of them.
Peaceful assembly is not thuggery. I do recall that the Repubs once shut down the US govt. Just sayin'.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It wasn't to avoid casting an unpopular vote. This has all been very public in Wisconsin--they point blank think the R's are wrong, and they're using the tools available to them to try to force them back to the table to try to work out an agreement vs. just walking in and shutting the unions down simply because they disagree with the idea of unions. That's what this is coming down to.
Unions are a special interest, how many others you want to protect?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Peaceful assembly is not thuggery. I do recall that the Repubs once shut down the US govt. Just sayin'.
They may be gearing up to do it again. The more experienced of them are not likely make that same mistake, but who knows. They don't seem to avoid making bad choices very well.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I saw the video of some of those protestors and they obviously weren't all teachers. Some looked like the young punk professional college students that get hired by groups (like unions) to do their dirty work. I also noticed a couple of red t-shirts with the old hammer and sickle on it. Totally shocked to see those at this kind of rally... NOT

I'm all for genuine protest, but this is not genuine and isn't even for a good cause. It's a few union members and hired goons/whackos (13000 out of a state population of 5665774 (2009 Census figure) = .002% of the state's population) that are whining about "rights" and benefits that exceed what they're worth and also exceed what your average Joe on the street has.

It's all a bunch of BS.
You've got to be kidding me--you think that unions HIRED 13,000 people to show up for a rally? Are you SEROUS? Why in the world would everyone there have to be a teacher or a public employee for it to be legit--I think it sends an even a stronger statement that lots of different people, from lots of different walks of life, are pretty hot about this. Just what number of people do you think would make it legit? The entire state? Good grief....

The new governor has simply decided that since he doesn't personally like unions, he's trying to try to shut them down. It's upset LOTS of voters there, and they're being about as vocal about it as they can be. THAT'S democracy in action.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
For those looking for us, we are right here, standing with the people of Wisconsin,” Democratic Senator Chris J. Larson tweeted late Thursday afternoon, apparently from Illinois.
Did the people of Wisconsin move to Illinois?

Must be nice to have such a secure job. Most people in the real world who left town without notice and neglected our jobs would be fired so fast.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I suppose the tea party protests were something completely different, right? When they get a few hundred people together they call it patriotism. When someone else gets 13,000, it's "thuggery." Go figure.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
There was no need for austerity measures. The Governor cut taxes his first days in office and created the fiscal deficit.

his broadside comes less than a month after the state's fiscal bureau -- the Wisconsin equivalent of the Congressional Budget Office -- concluded that Wisconsin isn't even in need of austerity measures, and could conclude the fiscal year with a surplus. In fact, they say that the current budget shortfall is a direct result of tax cut policies Walker enacted in his first days in office.
That's right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies