Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,380,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
we have covered that. the discussion is about income tax.

The OP did not mention income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM

20,393 posts, read 12,287,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Im not sure how the fair tax turns housewives into second class citizens
I suspect this is because they do not earn income but would pay taxes that are currently collected from income earners.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
no it was not mentioned in the OP. it has been clarified. your comment was justified based on the OP. considering the clarification, we are talking about income tax only.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,183,762 times
Quote:
I have posted in this thread as others have the percent of people who pay no income taxes. Those numbers while not exactly 50 is close.
The fair tax does not more unfairly tax the poor since those at or under the poverty line are prebated the tax on food and clothing. The flat tax does nothing like that. More people with their own money deciding what do with their money is the fair tax.
Quote:
I said 50% of the people do not pay taxes. While that should have said income taxes so my wording was bad.
With the flat tax it is easier for the guy making 500,000 a year to hide his income on foreign banks with foreign companies. And you can bet people that make that income can hide it.
The fair tax you can not hide from it. You buy a 1000000 home you will not be able to hide from the taxes on it since it is taxed at the point of sale. The fair tax hits everyone equally at the point of sale. it also allows that guy making 50,000 a year to take home all of his money.

while the wording i used was not clear i meant income tax, the fact is close to 50% of the people do not pay income taxes right now. I feel you have more invested in the country if you pay income taxes instead of relying on 50% of the country to pay income taxes to run the country that you do not pay. The fair tax eliminates federal taxes on gas, who do you think that helps the rich or the poor.
I would take the flat tax as you presented it as an alternative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As was stated we had already discussed it

Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,738,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I would not allow anyone to vote unless they paid federal income tax.
So, just because someone doesn't earn enough to pay income tax, they should have no say one ANY issue? You do realize there's more things voted on than taxes and financial issues, right?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM

wjtwet, I would only add that Social Security should be privatized. Government should not have any access to the funds collected from this tax. it should go into individual accounts owned by the individual.

It should be treated as a tax, there should be limits on how the funds can be invested to insure minimum exposure to risk, but the funds should be owned by the individual and should be passed from one generation to the next as part of an estate.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,855,199 times
50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country.
we have to rethink taxes and go to the fair tax. everyone is then invested in the country. everyone has more take home.We will have a bunch of tax lawyers needing work as well as IRS agents.

I have already commented on this. I am for a real fair tax.

Close the borders. Aggressively use the present laws to go after those that employ illegals. Deport illegals. Then make a simple work visa program matching companies with those that want to work.
I agree.

Term Limits
That is why we vote, limit their term or do not it, should be up to the People to decide through their votes.

SS retirement age has to be moved to 70
This is assuming people living longer, but the problem is only some people are living longer. Leave it where it is, do you really want to work 56 Years to get anything back and maybe only draw it for a few years, the word ponsi comes to mind.
Tort reform. Ability to buy health insurance across state lines.
I am ok with this.
keep kids on insurance until 26.
Why would I want to do that?

Civil unions.
As long as they get ALL the benefits of a married couple under the law, including SS and health insurance.
Nuclear power plants must be built as we continue to drill for more of our own oil and develop wind
I am ok with that so long as it is done wisely and safely.

Stop all foreign aide we are broke why do we give our borrowed Chinese money to others
I totally agree.

We no longer fight wars to win. As long as we are not trying to win bring our troops home.
Once again I totally agree.

Balance budget amendment
I agree
Cut all spending , all programs to 2006 levels for 5 years.
Not sure that is even possible, surely not overnight but over time it may be.
legalize and tax drugs I only want to see POT legalized and taxed when sold. the rest I have doubts about.

Legalize and tax prostitution
Ok with that so long as it is regulated and those that want out are given the opportunity.

National concealed hand gun law
No problem with that.

Close the UN and get it off our soil.
Way over due, do it NOW.
Casper

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The fair tax program would eliminate all deductions. If we had term limits I think we could keep it that way. without term limits politicians might break the fair tax system with deductions. I agree everyone who votes shoudl have a invested interest in the country
But how is a 'vested interest in the country' only economics? You do realize there's a lot more to life and living than simple economics, don't you? Things like protection of rights, fighting violence, etc.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,284,005 times
Quote:
50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country.
we have to rethink taxes and go to the fair tax. everyone is then invested in the country. everyone has more take home.We will have a bunch of tax lawyers needing work as well as IRS agents.

Close the borders. Aggressively use the present laws to go after those that employ illegals. Deport illegals. Then make a simple work visa program matching companies with those that want to work.

Term Limits

SS retirement age has to be moved to 70

Tort reform. Ability to buy health insurance across state lines.

keep kids on insurance until 26.

Civil unions.

Nuclear power plants must be built as we continue to drill for more of our own oil and develop wind

Stop all foreign aide we are broke why do we give our borrowed Chinese money to others

We no longer fight wars to win. As long as we are not trying to win bring our troops home.

Balance budget amendment

Cut all spending , all programs to 2006 levels for 5 years.

legalize and tax drugs

Legalize and tax prostitution

National concealed hand gun law

Close the UN and get it off our soil.
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Ron Paul...

But seriously, I agree with all of the fiscal policy issues you mention, as well as immigration and tort reform. I'm against the legalization of drugs and prostitution but if you ran for office I'd still vote for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Im afraid you are right
This liberal would have no problem with the fair tax as it has been described in this thread. It might reduce my spending a bit, but that can be handled as long as the tax on purchased items isn't ridiculously high. (I already pay 8.1% sales tax here in Clark County, Nevada - 7.5 to the state, the rest to the county.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies