Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I have to disagree with that.

http://cloud.donaldjenkins.net/image...ealth-care.jpg

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...de768208bf.jpg

Orly Taitz: US military has no backbone - National birther movement | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/birther-movement-in-national/orly-taitz-us-military-has-no-backbone - broken link)

Sharron Angle Floated '2nd Amendment Remedies' As 'Cure' For 'The Harry Reid Problems'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paeuC-i8E1o

All of these things, by tea party members, seem quite uncivil to me. Reasonable people can disagree about President Obama's, and the Democratic Congress' policies, but talking about second amendment solutions or threatening to resort to the bullet box?

Orly Taitz, leader of the birther movement, which has a significant following among tea party folks, regularly calls for a military coup d'etat.
I don't find it uncivil, and definatley no worse that what Obama and the left has said toward the Tea Party or the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I'm just pointing out that you posted this thread at 12:30 AM, and within minutes posters were calling all liberal hypocrites for not condemning that protester's poster.
OK...point well taken and you're right about that.

However, do you also see the inherent hypocrisy in that guy holding that sign? That being that liberals went nuts over Palin's map (which wasn't anywhere close to inciting violence in comparison to this sign), yet here's a liberal hoisting a sign that directly calls for the man's murder.

Quote:
Give people a chance sometimes is all I'm saying.
No problem...fair enough.

BTW: Thanks for those photos of Tea Party people....for the record, if I saw someone holding such a sign, I'd tell him of my objections to it.

Wishing or advocating violence of any type upon anyone is flat-out wrong. And when it's a public official or entity, it is a threat to our Democracy no matter who's side you're on. Heated words do no harm, but you can't cross the line into such hate simply because you might hold opposite political views.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
If you haven't read this or even heard of this I highly recommend reading it.
"The Fourth Turning" regarding history and generations. Rather than history being linear, it's a repeating cycle of 80 years. History does seem to back up the claim.

We are now entering a 4th turning of upheaval and transformation.
It doesn't have to result in violence or war but past history shows that in most cases it has.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
OK...point well taken and you're right about that.

However, do you also see the inherent hypocrisy in that guy holding that sign? That being that liberals went nuts over Palin's map (which wasn't anywhere close to inciting violence in comparison to this sign), yet here's a liberal hoisting a sign that directly calls for the man's murder.
I see what you're saying here. There was so much news coverage after the shooting in Tuscon of Palin's crosshairs map, that to see a union supporter putting a crosshairs directly on the governor's face takes that up another notch. And where's the coverage?

There are differences here. Palin is a former governor and a leader of the tea party movement. Every tweet and facebook post she makes seems to make news. This protester is some anonymous guy we've probably never heard of before. Plus, it's probably been less than 24 hours since that picture was taken, since that sign was displayed. Let's give people a chance, if it makes news, to decry that sign.

Quote:
Wishing or advocating violence of any type upon anyone is flat-out wrong. And when it's a public official or entity, it is a threat to our Democracy no matter who's side you're on. Heated words do no harm, but you can't cross the line into such hate simply because you might hold opposite political views.
I completely agree with you. We need to learn to disagree with each other without being disagreeable to each other. I think part of the cause of this problem is the anonymity of the internet. Behind an anonymous screen name you can be as rude as you want to somebody else, and there's almost never any consequences. It leads people to say whatever without thinking about others' feelings or consequence, and I think it serves to de-socialize people.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I don't find it uncivil, and definatley no worse that what Obama and the left has said toward the Tea Party or the American people.
If you find "We came unarmed... this time" and calls for a military coup against the democratically elected government to be civil, then we just see the world in two fundamentally different ways.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
We are in a state of ideological, demographic and social conflict in this country. This is just the beginning. The financial crises is the beginning of a economic malaise that is going to grip this country for at least a decade. When you combine the ongoing economic problems with the issue related to the federal deficit and the impending spending cuts that will reduce government services and educational opportunities for many Americans you are setting the stage for civil unrest. Throw in the changing racial demographics and the next 20 to 30 years will probably be the most turbulent in American history.

Fasten your seatbelts we're in for a bumpy ride!
I recall an old Southern comedy skit called "A Coon Huntin' Story" where one of the nighttime coon hunters decided to climb a tree to shake a coon out. Upon climbing the tree, he discovered to his dismay that what they thought was a coon is a lynx which immediately attacks the hapless hunter with its claws and teeth. As the top of the tree swayed and shook in the ongoing fight, the hunter in the tree shouted for his buddies at the base of the tree to shoot up into the tree. Reluctant to shoot, the hunters on the ground shouted back they were afraid they would hit the wrong target in the dark. The hunter in the tree shouted back, that to "Well shoot anyway. One of us has to have some relief."

I agree that we are in an ideological, demographic and social conflict in this country. Many Americans are ready for the inevitable bumpy ride and have had their seat belts fastened for some time now. I am no exception. Bring on the civil unrest, it's better than fighting the wildcat 24/7.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
When the tea party was doing it anyway. Now all the union thugs show up with nazi pictures, crosshairs on the governors face, and other forms of expressing their outrage and anger. Mainstream media that was whining during the tea party movement is strangely silent. Actually, they aren't strangely silent. The fact is they do not care how outraged, angry, or uncivil the left gets when protesting because they are going to write their articles slanted in the favor of lefty protestors. The only time anger, outrage, and "uncivil" behavior is frowned upon is when it comes from the right. This is simply another blatant example of how full of BS the left was the whole time they act like they cared about civility.
Dude when AZ passed the law that gives the state the ability to arreste illegals, there were RIOTS.

the media called the RIOTS "mostly peaceful protests"

then they turned around and called Tea Party gatherings "ugly in tone" "dangerous" and "almost a riot"

People got hurt when the liberals rioted in AZ. People got arrested.

in vertually all the tea party protests, there was very little if anyone hurt or arrested.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
The Tea Party was never uncivil. They were peaceful. The only thing they did was speak their peace, and then go home. These entitled leftist jerks are the cause of WI problems. They are strangling WI with all their entitlments. They want, but don't give. They know that they don't have to do a good job, because they can't be fired. They don't care about the children, or the trouble that they are causing. Who do these teachers think they are, acting like this? A bunch of idiots.
This is the goal of those who court the White House: SEIU, Richard Trumpka & Andy Stern. The pot is being stirred, organized and fed by much higher levels than the unionized teachers of WI. this revolution by the union activists is being promoted on our own POTUS's website along with the DNC. Shameful if not criminal, IMO.

Why criminal you ask? Obviously minor children are present at the protest with little idea of what they are doing or why they are there (as proven by their own owrds in videos). If bullying and violence pick up by this attempt at mob rule then those encouraging these actions are complicit in endagering the welfare of those children.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:

The Tea Party was never uncivil. They were peaceful. The only thing they did was speak their peace, and then go home. These entitled leftist jerks are the cause of WI problems. They are strangling WI with all their entitlments. They want, but don't give. They know that they don't have to do a good job, because they can't be fired. They don't care about the children, or the trouble that they are causing. Who do these teachers think they are, acting like this? A bunch of idiots.
Well this is certainly civil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I condemn this outright. I suspect many in that crowd were trying to make a point, something like, "see how it feels when we use your tactics", but that's no excuse whatsoever. We should be better than that. I'm saddened and disgusted to see that some of us aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies