U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,726,608 times

Advertisements

The Democratic Party has folded Sacramento into one of the tightest one-party grips in contemporary American politics. In November, bucking the national trend, Democrats in California won not just the governorship but 51 Assembly seats to Republicans’ 29, 24 state Senate seats to Republicans’ 14, and every statewide office. With the passage of a referendum lowering the number of legislative votes required to approve a state budget (from a two-thirds majority to a simple majority), California is that rarest of land masses for the 2011 Democratic Party: conquered territory. State Democrats have freedom to rule virtually unchallenged by the scattered, rusticated Republicans.

Farewell, My Lovely - Reason Magazine

Extremly detailled and fair
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 PM

9,849 posts, read 7,488,550 times
Brown won't touch the state government employment unions who also happened to give him well over a hundred million in the election.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,726,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Brown won't touch the state government employment unions who also happened to give him well over a hundred million in the election.
You're right I guess

Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,727,244 times
Illegal aliens killed California, not public pensions.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 AM

35,954 posts, read 35,979,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
The Democratic Party has folded Sacramento into one of the tightest one-party grips in contemporary American politics. In November, bucking the national trend, Democrats in California won not just the governorship but 51 Assembly seats to Republicans’ 29, 24 state Senate seats to Republicans’ 14, and every statewide office. With the passage of a referendum lowering the number of legislative votes required to approve a state budget (from a two-thirds majority to a simple majority), California is that rarest of land masses for the 2011 Democratic Party: conquered territory. State Democrats have freedom to rule virtually unchallenged by the scattered, rusticated Republicans.

Farewell, My Lovely - Reason Magazine

Extremly detailled and fair
As long as they don't come to the rest of us for money, they should have the kind of government they want/vote for.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 AM

22,770 posts, read 27,800,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As long as they don't come to the rest of us for money, they should have the kind of government they want/vote for.

i agree. i have no problems whatsoever with how california chooses to run their state.

but when they come back to the federal government, asking for a state bailout, since they can't pay what they owe... that's a different story altogether.

Last edited by le roi; 02-18-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,703,631 times
what they need is HONESTY in the status of the public pensions. they are completely underfunded and somebody is going to have to pay for them. there was a bill addressing the issue, but i am not sure that it is going anywhere:

Congressman Devin Nunes - California 21st District :: Press Office (http://nunes.house.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressOffice.PressReleases&Con tentRecord_id=a8077553-19b9-b4b1-12e6-728d8d2ff3ad - broken link)

Independent studies demonstrate that public employee pensions had approximately $1.94 trillion set aside to pay retirement benefits promised to government workers as of 2008. However, these pensions have liabilities of $5.17 trillion, which means that they are underfunded by $3.23 trillion. Ten states including Oklahoma, Louisiana, Illinois, New Jersey, Connecticut, Arkansas, West Virginia, Kentucky, Hawaii, and Indiana are projected to run out of pension funds by 2020, the vast majority of states will have exhausted their pension funds by 2030.

“State and local governments’ empty coffers should not be ignored, nor should they become dependent on federal bailouts to ensure the fiscal soundness of their pension plans. Increasing pension fund transparency will make lawmakers more accountable to taxpayers and compel them to deal with the reality of their fiscal crisis,” said Thomas Schatz, President of Citizens Against Government Waste.

“By requiring accurate accounting, disclosure online and certifying the end of federal bailouts, the Public Employee Pension Transparency Act would address the underlying deficiencies that have allowed states and municipalities to be fiscally reckless with their pension plans,” said Grover Norquist, President of Americans for Tax Reform.

this bill would prohibit the federal government from bailing out underfunded states in the future. these issues need to be addressed now before they get worse.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM

13,421 posts, read 9,705,591 times
First thing to do NOW is to stop abuses like allowing overtime to count toward final pension amounts. This one would at least be "easier" to get thru. The rest, while I support many changes, is much much more difficult.

In many places lower ranking employees will deliberately and on schedule call out and a near retirement person will miraculously be working that day... on overtime... which counts for the pension.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,058,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Brown won't do anything but pretend that his faux church-mouse existance makes any sort of difference. He is a fraud, or should I say, a Democrat. Frauds a worse

Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,276,053 times
I love the way conservatives underpay, compared to their sacred private sector, state and municipal workers and then want to continue to underpay their pensions. I consider this to be nothing more than the creation of a permanent under paid class of employees. The guy driving the garbage truck is not getting rich. The guy keeping the town computer network functioning could make far more in the private sector at a much higher risk of unemployment.

The pensions were negotiated in lieu of private sector wages. It is not the employees’ fault that the government refused to raise taxes enough to fund the pensions. I suppose this was done in order to avoid taxing the wealth just as is dome with Federal Taxes.

I suggest making accounting rules require that both private and public pensions be fully funded. The rules should also protect private corporations from having paid up pension funds used against them in hostile takeover situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies