Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Some guy joined the navy just because he saw it on a car? That's how he made his decision? One anecdotal story doesn't support the point that the pentagon needs to spend $7M on nascar advertising. There are much better ways to spend $7M. Or just not spending it all since the budget needs to be cut.
Particularly since the Navy has already stopped NASCAR sponsorship, as have the Marines.

It should be eliminated, but it's a moot point - the amendment was voted down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 PM

59,024 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I read the entire thing.
I doubt if you did. IF you had, you wouldn't have made such a statement.

This will help," "There are all kinds of stories like that happening trackside".

Notice not just 1 ancedotal story.

""Understand that 72 percent of the NASCAR fan base is between the ages of 17 and 53," Priest said of the Navy's research. "That is our target market plus influencers: moms, dads, aunts, uncles, friends of the family, former military."

"Our primary reasoning is the recruiting side of that," said Sullivan, who reports directly to the Army's assistant secretary for manpower and reserve affairs in the recruiting department. "The large fan base that NASCAR has and the opportunity to get in front of them for three days if all three series are at the same location, I don't think you beat that in terms of the ability and opportunity to talk and show folks what the Army has to offer."

"We have to recruit some 70,000 Army Guard soldiers a year. The active Army has to recruit 80,000. This is big business," said Lt. Gen. Clyde A. Vaughn of the National Guard. "It just happens that the strong point of recruiting the force happens to be exactly where the NASCAR nation is. You don't have to put two and two together too many times to figure this out."

"Why are military branches spending money on sports sponsorship during a war? Because that's where the next recruit may be.

"You can't really just sit back in the old recruiting station and just hope someone is going to come walking in the door," Sullivan said."

"Added Priest: "We can't just quit spending money on advertising. You still have to recruit. You still have to get the word out that the Navy is hiring. And if we choose to use this as a tool -- the most popular sport, the fastest-growing sport ... it just makes so much more sense to be where we are. A young man or woman doesn't wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, I want to join the Navy.'"

Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM

59,024 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read on that link we got that it is very obvious that NASCAR people provide many of the enlisted men of the Army but more importantly Democrats howl about NASCAR people being red necks etc and they don't receive many votes from those people. Ah yes it is funny and I have only read one of the anti- posts on this thread at this time.
And maybe, we all know how the dems loathe the Military and don't want them to be able to recruit. Hmm.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I doubt if you did. IF you had, you wouldn't have made such a statement.

This will help," "There are all kinds of stories like that happening trackside".

Notice not just 1 ancedotal story.

""Understand that 72 percent of the NASCAR fan base is between the ages of 17 and 53," Priest said of the Navy's research. "That is our target market plus influencers: moms, dads, aunts, uncles, friends of the family, former military."

"Our primary reasoning is the recruiting side of that," said Sullivan, who reports directly to the Army's assistant secretary for manpower and reserve affairs in the recruiting department. "The large fan base that NASCAR has and the opportunity to get in front of them for three days if all three series are at the same location, I don't think you beat that in terms of the ability and opportunity to talk and show folks what the Army has to offer."

"We have to recruit some 70,000 Army Guard soldiers a year. The active Army has to recruit 80,000. This is big business," said Lt. Gen. Clyde A. Vaughn of the National Guard. "It just happens that the strong point of recruiting the force happens to be exactly where the NASCAR nation is. You don't have to put two and two together too many times to figure this out."

"Why are military branches spending money on sports sponsorship during a war? Because that's where the next recruit may be.

"You can't really just sit back in the old recruiting station and just hope someone is going to come walking in the door," Sullivan said."

"Added Priest: "We can't just quit spending money on advertising. You still have to recruit. You still have to get the word out that the Navy is hiring. And if we choose to use this as a tool -- the most popular sport, the fastest-growing sport ... it just makes so much more sense to be where we are. A young man or woman doesn't wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, I want to join the Navy.'"
Thank you, but reposting quotes from the article doesn't disprove my point that the guy was a dufus for making a life changing decision based on what he saw on a freakin' race car. Give me a break. There are less expensive ways to plant the idea. I see Navy recruiters at schools and events all the time. Often times high school and college students receive mail from the military. We know it exists and will seriously contemplate the thought of joining.

The government is broke and now is the time to cut and slash the budget. Let's not be so partisan and oppose a reasonable amendment to cut spending just because a Democrat proposed it. The Navy will be fine without the advertising. Here's another thought: end the pointless wars and policing the world and there won't be such a dire need for recruitment.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry I spent 10 years in the U.S. Submarine forces, and the LAST thing needed is brain dead 18 year olds. We do need competent intelligent people, and sometimes advertising that fact brings it to the attention of those people who may not have considered that possibility, the training in nuclear power, or the many other advanced fields.

BTW, keep talking people out of joining. If you can talk them out of joining, they probably would not be the type of go getter intelligent dedicated people I enjoyed working with.
BAM!
I would like to add to this.

trivia question
what did the two smartest kids in my high school (valedictorians) do after they graduated.................they joined the military
They both possess a masters degree now. One is an officer in the navy and the other is a lawyer working in the private sector.(she's still hot too LOL)
This whole stereotype that people in the military are all brain dead losers that had nowhere to go is a complete joke.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Obviously Democrats are serious about cutting federal spending. Why else would they propose an amendment to forbid the Pentagon from spending money sponsoring NASCAR?

Democrats Want Pentagon to Cut Ties To….NASCAR?
It is a recruiting tool, and evidently works for them.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
BAM!
I would like to add to this.

This whole stereotype that people in the military are all brain dead losers that had nowhere to go is a complete joke.
Obama seems to think so.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Particularly since the Navy has already stopped NASCAR sponsorship, as have the Marines.

It should be eliminated, but it's a moot point - the amendment was voted down.
No it is NOT a moot point, the right says everything needs to be cut, that is everything they are against, the NASCAR issue is going to come back and haunt them many times over since it such an obvious piece of Hypocracy.
Casper

Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
[quote=redfish1;17946533 This whole stereotype that people in the military are all brain dead losers that had nowhere to go is a complete joke.[/quote]

Listen I was never insinuating that those that join the military are brain dead. My point was that anybody can find a recruiting office if they wanted to join the military. We do not need to advertise at Nascar considering our economic climate and their is not a whole lot of options for our young people.
The {R}s have to be consistent and being willing to make cuts even when it comes to the military.Will our country survive if we are not advertising at Nascar? will our country survive by not building a engine that the Pentagon does not want?
Most of the young guys I talk to are joining because it is their best option and are willing to take the risk of ending up in a war zone.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Listen I was never insinuating that those that join the military are brain dead. My point was that anybody can find a recruiting office if they wanted to join the military. We do not need to advertise at Nascar considering our economic climate and their is not a whole lot of options for our young people.
The {R}s have to be consistent and being willing to make cuts even when it comes to the military.Will our country survive if we are not advertising at Nascar? will our country survive by not building a engine that the Pentagon does not want?
Most of the young guys I talk to are joining because it is their best option and are willing to take the risk of ending up in a war zone.
Well Said! I would Rep ya but I have to wait so I'll do it here again
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies